Can't find a VX, D15Z1 swap into CRX shell? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2008, 09:51 AM   #21
Registered Member

The Parts guy claimed it was #18 in the following figure...

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...IT+%28CABIN%29

can anyone confirm this?

ashtond33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:16 AM   #22
Registered Member

That's the integrated control unit. It's responsible for the key-in and lights-on alarms, intermittent wiper functions and other odds and ends. It is not the EGR control box you're looking for.

You're after this:
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...ONTROL+%282%29

The CRX HF control box has all the same components in it, and then some. As a bonus, it should cleanly bolt to the CRX firewall.

GasSavers_bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:10 PM   #23
Registered Member

Thanks for the info. It seems like HF parts are more abundant here than VX specific stuff, so maybe I'll have better luck finding a used one.
ashtond33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:19 PM   #24
Registered Member

Well, I took it upon myself to poke around the junkyard today. What did I find?
A Honda Accord:

An Acura Legend:

And at least half a dozen other similar EGR equipped cars. I would estimate that at least half the Honda/Acuras at the yard had these parts. Finding the two components (really just a vacuum regulator and a high-frequency solenoid valve) shouldn't be a problem... You just need to find a nice way to mount them.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:12 AM   #25
Registered Member

egr controller

Did anyone have success using the egr controller off another vehicle? The part numbers dont match up.
fistopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:56 AM   #26
Registered Member

I just looked at diagrams for the '95 model years Prelude, Accord, Legend, Vigor and the VX. The number for the green and white vacuum regulator matches up on all the parts lists: 17290-PY3-901. The solenoid part number varies, but it may be something simple like the wiring and vacuum lines exiting at different angles. On the other hand, there might be differences in flow rate, opening/closing speed or coil resistance between the various models of valve... Anyone with a VX want put a multimeter to their valve, or give a few other valves a try?
Old 06-30-2008, 03:35 AM   #27
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
The VSS is only an issue if you want to change over to a newer gauge cluster - '94-01 Integra and '96-00 Civic clusters are popular. The trouble is that those clusters don't use a cable-driven speedometer - it's all electric. As such, you need to take the old speedometer cable and drive gear out of the transmission and replace it with a transmission-mounted VSS. The new VSS needs power, ground and it's signal wire connected to the old VSS signal wire. Simply tapping into the existing wire conveniently sends the signal to both the ECU and gauge cluster.
With the different gear ratios, if I bolt in a z1 with a hf tranny, the ecu will get the signal to operate the vtec? If so is that with all EF's or just the hf civic/crx
seeodywhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:44 AM   #28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeodywhy View Post
With the different gear ratios, if I bolt in a z1 with a hf tranny, the ecu will get the signal to operate the vtec? If so is that with all EF's or just the hf civic/crx
I don't know if VTEC-E has the same vehicle speed dependent limiter that performance VTEC has. Even if it does, the VSS signal generated by the stock ED gauge cluster should work fine with the newer ECU.

As far as I know, all the variants of the ED chassis use a cable-driven speedo. If you're swapping the HF trans into another ED (you would need custom mounts to put one in an EF), you should be able to to just plug your speedo cable into the HF trans' drive gear and get accurate speed readings.

The speedo cable/VSS gear is driven by a ring gear bolted to the differential. The drive shafts running to each wheel plug into the differential, so it's really the last part of the transmission as far as power flow goes... Meaning the drive gear should properly read the wheel speed no matter what the gear ratios are.
I've never heard of it being done, but I guess someone could conceivably program the ECU to notice when the vehicle speed and engine RPM don't match a known gear ratio, but why would they? There's no diagnostic code for a slipping clutch, and what the hell do the engineers care if someone does an engine swap? Besides, that kind of pointless programming would necessitate the creation of a new ECU program if someone decided to revise the gear ratios in mid production run.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:31 AM   #29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistopher View Post
Did anyone have success using the egr controller off another vehicle? The part numbers dont match up.
i put a vtec-e in my 94 integra and i used a accord one (1st pic on bobski post)
and it works very well
onefastcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:20 AM   #30
Registered Member

[QUOTE=bobski;108840]I don't know if VTEC-E has the same vehicle speed dependent limiter that performance VTEC has. Even if it does, the VSS signal generated by the stock ED gauge cluster should work fine with the newer ECU. [Quote]
Thanks man.

seeodywhy is offline   Reply With Quote