Cash for Refrigerators? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
Registered Member

Cash for Refrigerators?

anyone have any thoughts about cash for clunkers part II?

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/mone..._refrigerators

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:26 PM   #2
Registered Member

and...http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/...821_304909.htm

Old 08-27-2009, 12:32 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
At least this one isn't stupid, just misdirected. What does it matter if someone has an energy star fridge/AC when their house is so crappily insulated that the ac runs 18 hours out of the day to keep 80 in the summer?(I know A LOT of people whose homes are like that)

Pay apartment complexes a little money to change out our single pane windows for double pane insulated glass. I can't really complain I guess. My biggest electric bill this summer was $42 and that's because my bedroom window gets direct sunlight most of the day and my computer is run 24/7, thermal curtains FTW!

Be sweet if they applied it to electronics stuff. Ahem, like a 40" Samsung LED TV
Old 08-27-2009, 12:42 PM   #4
Registered Member

it's kinda funny that all major appliances may qualify, but the only one i really need is a fridge. i've got my home's original 1986 model as far as i know.

i'd be limited to a 21 square foot model or smaller if i want to keep it in its original spot. the cabinet is very close to it and the measurements would not allow for a 25-27 size model. ok by me tho', i would plan to but for less than a grand even before the rebate.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:55 PM   #5
Registered Member

Have you thrown a kill-a-watt on that fridge to see what it runs? You may find that it isn't worth it from an economic standpoint to replace it. If you are going for cosmetics then heck, go for it.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:00 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjones96 View Post
Have you thrown a kill-a-watt on that fridge to see what it runs? You may find that it isn't worth it from an economic standpoint to replace it. If you are going for cosmetics then heck, go for it.
no, i don't know what it runs. but in recent months, it seems to cycle more often and is now making funny noises. it may be on its way out.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:00 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I wouldn't mind a bigger and more efficient fridge.

Who's the crackhead who thought it makes sense to put the freezer above the refrigerator, someone who thinks convection can happen without air flow? I have to bend down for everything in the fridge, and I have to crawl on the floor to find stuff at the bottom...and then the freezer, which is easy to find stuff in, is at eye level.

Maybe I can get a side-by-side fridge. I've got a big freezer in the basement for big stuff anyway...
Old 08-27-2009, 02:03 PM   #8
Registered Member

I have a 10 year old fridge, but it's young enough to have that kwh/year sticker on it, it's meant to be sucking about 500... looked at new fridges... uhuh, hard to find many under 500, and then they're not that far under... and look smaller... looks like fridge manufactures have gone the way of bolting on features and chrome to sell their turds, it's a freaking fridge, I'm not paying more than I pay for a car for it.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:34 PM   #9
Registered Member

I have a friend who agreed to replace his 20 year old fridge if it would pay for itself in five years. I brought over my kill-a-watt and after a few days it showed it'd take less than three (and for a larger, much nicer unit), but then he changed his mind. His reason? Even though it would be the same color, the new one wouldn't match his other (old and also very crappy) appliances in style (all bought in the 80s). I'm tempted to sabotage it when he's not looking. In the meantime, I sent a link to the new incentive program to his girlfriend (she also hates the current fridge) in the hope that it may spur change.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:44 PM   #10
Registered Member

Out of curiosity, how many of you service your fridge once a year? Or at least every other year(if you don't have pets).

By that I only mean a quick vacuuming of the coils and cleaning off the fan if it is in the open.

« Lint | Car Wax »