CES 2017 / Electric Vehicle Summary - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2017, 09:12 AM   #11
Registered Member

Ahh Lots of vehicles out there so the incentive is gone.

I wonder what the final price for a charge will be now a flat rate every where or using local hydro costs??

Old 01-17-2017, 09:25 AM   #12
Registered Member

Here, it's no longer free to charge any electric car publically in most places, some stations charge £7.50 ($9.30 US dollar) for half an hour, making them way more expensive than a regular car.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:09 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRover View Post
Ahh Lots of vehicles out there so the incentive is gone.

I wonder what the final price for a charge will be now a flat rate every where or using local hydro costs??
Tesla will try to use kWh, but not every market allows a non-utility company to directly charge for electricity. In those regions they'll charger per minute with the cost reduced to half when the power draw in under 60kW.
Tesla releases Supercharger electric-car fast-charge prices
https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/support/...ng?redirect=no

Don't know yet how these rates will relate to the Model 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
Here, it's no longer free to charge any electric car publically in most places, some stations charge £7.50 ($9.30 US dollar) for half an hour, making them way more expensive than a regular car.
Some pay chargers are pricey here too. Third party chargers are going to have higher overhead, and maybe parking fees rolled in. Hopefully the costs will level out when more BEVs are on the road for areas where home charging isn't feasible.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:11 AM   #14
Registered Member

All public locations are free in my Province and sort of free in parking lots that have them, you just pay the normal parking fee. Government is progressive in that we have a carbon tax on all fuel used in cars and trucks but they are actively encouraging EV's. Making an other huge Dam to supply more than enough power for the future needs.

The city of Vancouver demands that all new buildings both commercial and private (housing) have provisions for electric cars.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:53 PM   #15
Registered Member

Yes our government is allegedly clamping down on the charges somewhat, and hopefully there won't be multiple providers and multiple chargers with multiple fees either, they need to be standardised and made user friendly, otherwise potential ev owners may be put off. High purchase price, depreciation and battery rental charges already scare enough people off as it is, but things improve every day.

Old 01-18-2017, 03:12 AM   #16
Registered Member

They are currently free in Ireland, although the government did try and introduce a €20.00 per month flat fee.

There is one elephant in the room with EV's and that is the tax that governments get from fossil fuel cars. At the moment, through VRT, Fuel Tax and Road Tax the Irish government takes in some €5.5bn, if everyone was to switch to EV's this would be wiped out, I can't see governments any where in the world allowing this tax take to just disappear which means that we can look forward to some other kind of tax being imposed on EV's at some point in the future. I see a tax on charging, maybe?

I have always been in favour of taxing fuel, that way whatever fuel you use and however much, you are charged accordingly, if you can drive economically, you can save, similarly, if you want the V8 for weekends, you can spend a bit more for your fun.

Oliver.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:32 AM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverGT View Post
I have always been in favour of taxing fuel, that way whatever fuel you use and however much, you are charged accordingly, if you can drive economically, you can save, similarly, if you want the V8 for weekends, you can spend a bit more for your fun.

Oliver.
We have federal tax , provincial tax, city transit tax and carbon tax on fuels and it does raise the price and change driving behaviour.

3 Provinces in Canada have compulsory government car insurance and in 1 (Manitoba) they added an extra tax to fuel to offset some of the insurance costs. More you drive would then raise your insurance rates somewhat.

The only trouble is everyone has to have the same taxes or else it doesn't work.. I can drive 15 KM East and not pay city transit tax or for some drivers across the street. Driving South I can cross the U.S. border , buy cheaper fuel and be home in 25 minutes ( have a special card that allows me to cross the border in an express lane with no passport) and many do. No non ethanol fuel across the border so I don't except on vacation.

Do both Irelands have the same price for fuel?? And if not is there lots of people going over the border.

Oh most drivers of electric cars have home chargers supplied by the car dealer with the option of a fast charger. Tesla supplies the high output charger free in Canada but was selling it as an option in the U.S.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:38 AM   #18
Registered Member

Here in the UK, our government has decided the £50,000,000,000 (yes 50 billion) a year it makes just from road tax isn't enough, after persuading people to buy smaller, lower polluting cars with cheaper tax since 2001. Starting in April, they've come up with an even stupider idea, which means 70% of motorist's will pay more tax on new cars. Now those who opt for a tiny 1.0 litre will pay the same annual road tax as those in a 3.0 litre. A backwards step that will no doubt backfire, causing people to buy bigger more polluting cars again.

Taxes are always about profit, never about pollution.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:07 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
Here in the UK, our government has decided the £50,000,000,000 (yes 50 billion) a year it makes just from road tax isn't enough, after persuading people to buy smaller, lower polluting cars with cheaper tax since 2001. Starting in April, they've come up with an even stupider idea, which means 70% of motorist's will pay more tax on new cars. Now those who opt for a tiny 1.0 litre will pay the same annual road tax as those in a 3.0 litre. A backwards step that will no doubt backfire, causing people to buy bigger more polluting cars again.

Taxes are always about profit, never about pollution.
Cry me a river, Paul. Governments, regardless of political affiliation, are gangsters wearing business suits.

Because of the California water shortage, the government begged the citizens to conserve water. We did. We cut back so well that the water company says they're losing $$$ need to raise water rates. Think the water company will thoughtfully lower rates when water is plentiful?

Now, I'd like the government to go after the road tax dodger DraigFlag that refuels his Honda hybrid so infrequently that gas tax paying patriots, like me, end up shouldering the road costs that HE uses Scot-free.

ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote