Chevy volt crap mileage? - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Android Users - Coming Soon! - Migrating from aCar 4.8 to 5.0

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-28-2008, 01:36 PM   #31
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 137
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy1 View Post
true, steel is heavy. but why not use aluminum. cheaper, lighter,and if it's a good grade it can be even stronger.
I think you need to check the price on Aluminum vs. steel
__________________

__________________


opelgt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:12 AM   #32
Registered Member
 
imzjustplayin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 720
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by opelgt73 View Post
I think you need to check the price on Aluminum vs. steel
Honda insight MSRP was around $20,000 so I don't see the price of aluminum as a factor, at least one that is significant.
__________________

imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:58 AM   #33
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 137
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
Honda insight MSRP was around $20,000 so I don't see the price of aluminum as a factor, at least one that is significant.
Is the insight being produced today? Does a $20K economy car strike you as affordable? Part of that cost was the hybrid system but another significant cost is the specialized aluminum body manufacturing process. When the insight was introduced economy cars were in the $8-10K range.

BTW aluminum is about $1.25/lb and steel is about $0.25/lb right now.

I'd love to have a car made from all aluminum but I acknowledge that it will come at a significant premium.
__________________


opelgt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:12 PM   #34
Registered Member
 
imzjustplayin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 720
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by opelgt73 View Post
Is the insight being produced today? Does a $20K economy car strike you as affordable? Part of that cost was the hybrid system but another significant cost is the specialized aluminum body manufacturing process. When the insight was introduced economy cars were in the $8-10K range.

BTW aluminum is about $1.25/lb and steel is about $0.25/lb right now.

I'd love to have a car made from all aluminum but I acknowledge that it will come at a significant premium.
It was sold through 2006, also the insight is not an economy car, its direct competitor was the prius which its MSRP was around $22k I believe. Being a two door doesn't make it an economy car just like the prius being a 4 door making it a full size sedan..
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:11 AM   #35
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,460
Country: United States
Location: north east PA
The Insight was the new CRX. So take the price of a CRX, add 2 to 3 thousand for the hybrid system, and you get an estimate on the 'aluminum preminum'. Civics start around $15k, which would lead to a fair assumption that an aluminum body for a small, 2-door costs at least as much as a hybrid system. Assuming the rumors that Honda was selling Insights at a loss aren't true.

Besides, if working with aluminum was cheap and easy, Toyota wouldn't have stopped at the hatch and hood on the Prius with it.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:02 AM   #36
Site Team / Moderator
 
Jay2TheRescue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 4,657
Country: United States
Location: Northern Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post
The Insight was the new CRX. So take the price of a CRX, add 2 to 3 thousand for the hybrid system, and you get an estimate on the 'aluminum preminum'. Civics start around $15k, which would lead to a fair assumption that an aluminum body for a small, 2-door costs at least as much as a hybrid system. Assuming the rumors that Honda was selling Insights at a loss aren't true.

Besides, if working with aluminum was cheap and easy, Toyota wouldn't have stopped at the hatch and hood on the Prius with it.
I don't think the hatch and hood were made of aluminum for FE reasons. I remember my great aunt's old 1988 Lincoln Town Car had an aluminum hood. I think the reason was so they did not have to have a prop rod, or big, heavy springs like were in my 1980 Pontiac to hold the hood up. All the car needed to raise that huge hood was one pressurized gas strut. My guess is the hood and hatch were aluminum on the Prius so that those doors would be easy to lift. The total weight savings on the total vehicle for those 2 doors being made of aluminum is probably not much, and overall has little effect of FE.
__________________






Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 10:06 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
101mpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 736
Country: United States
Buick Blachawk would be AWESOME.

Aluminum is more expensive than steel, about 5x.

People don't realize the same people sit on car manufacturing boards as on oil company boards. When gas is $10 a gallon, new cars will be getting about twice the mileage they do today, so that the oil companies make the same (or more) percentage profit. If people started screaming conflict of interest, it would force certain executives to resign from one or the other. Trust me, it would be the car boards, NOT the oil boards.

Ford looked into building the Focus entirely from aluminum and it would cost about $50,000 but would get in excess of 50-60 MPG highway.

If I had a grant from someone I would have a CRX rebuilt entirely from aluminum. Think a 1200 pound vehicle about 10% stronger than the original CRX. If it were the same weight, it would be 30% stronger than the original, even more in some places.

And I mean ENTIRELY from aluminum unless heat or safety prevented it.
__________________
Looking to trade for an early 1988 Honda CRX HF (Pillar mounted seat belts)
101mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 10:18 AM   #38
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 137
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101mpg View Post
Ford looked into building the Focus entirely from aluminum and it would cost about $50,000 but would get in excess of 50-60 MPG highway.
And that is at todays AL prices. Imagine the price of Aluminum if everybody started making cars out of it. The price would double overnight.
__________________


opelgt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 10:33 AM   #39
Registered Member
 
theholycow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,624
Country: United States
Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
How would building the Focus from aluminum so dramatically increase its highway mileage?
__________________
This sig may return, some day.
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 10:52 AM   #40
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 137
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
How would building the Focus from aluminum so dramatically increase its highway mileage?
It wouldn't much...if you drove on a completely flat road. But there aren't many of those. Indiana, which seems essentially flat, in reality still has a slight incline. And my MPG is always better going one way vs. the other.
__________________

__________________


opelgt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where do you draw the line? dkjones96 General Maintenance and Repair 25 06-17-2008 09:45 PM
Been Lurking ... BBsGarage Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome 5 04-17-2008 07:50 AM
gas vs. diesel northboundtrain General Fuel Topics 9 04-09-2007 07:01 PM
Honda TPS Sensor Blowout! $15/ea Matt Timion For Sale 0 09-13-2006 09:09 PM
A Giblet of Friendly Advice SVOboy General Maintenance and Repair 12 08-02-2006 12:35 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.