Chevy volt crap mileage? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-26-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
Registered Member

Chevy volt crap mileage?

I mean we can all agree 50mpg is pretty good for a non hybrid and is fairly decent for a hybrid, but what about the chevy volt?

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007...uzz_around.php

According to Chevy, the Volt gets 50 mpg with the generator running in what?s call ranger-extender mode. If driven 60 miles, with the last 20 miles in this mode, this results in a 150 mpg equivalent for the trip.

Shouldn't this be getting better than 50mpg in the generator mode? Also the crap about 150mpg equivalent for a 60 mile trip is nonsense because using power off the grid shouldn't be factored into the figure for MPG.

Another page:
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/01...y-the-numbers/

Why is the curb weight so damned high? The EV1 used LEAD ACID and this is going to use li-ion yet it weighs more? Has GM not learned that a heavy vehicle is going to get poorer mileage? Why is this thing so stupidly heavy?

imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
Registered Member

looks like a much bigger car to me...

'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:01 PM   #3
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
I mean we can all agree 50mpg is pretty good for a non hybrid and is fairly decent for a hybrid, but what about the chevy volt?

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007...uzz_around.php

According to Chevy, the Volt gets 50 mpg with the generator running in what?s call ranger-extender mode. If driven 60 miles, with the last 20 miles in this mode, this results in a 150 mpg equivalent for the trip.

Shouldn't this be getting better than 50mpg in the generator mode? Also the crap about 150mpg equivalent for a 60 mile trip is nonsense because using power off the grid shouldn't be factored into the figure for MPG.

Another page:
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/01...y-the-numbers/

Why is the curb weight so damned high? The EV1 used LEAD ACID and this is going to use li-ion yet it weighs more? Has GM not learned that a heavy vehicle is going to get poorer mileage? Why is this thing so stupidly heavy?
Its only about 50 pounds more, but its a 4 passenger vehicle instead of a 2 passenger. Its a bigger vehicle.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:25 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
Its only about 50 pounds more, but its a 4 passenger vehicle instead of a 2 passenger. Its a bigger vehicle.
In case you didn't notice, the EV1 has LEAD ACID batteries, the Volt is Lithium Ion batteries.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:42 PM   #5
Registered Member

Huh, 3100 ain't nothing for a car these days, more's the pity.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:52 PM   #6
Registered Member

The EV1 was a tiny aluminum thing, like an Insight with Saturn styling. It's just not comparable. And they did make a NiMH version at the end.

Nobody really knows what the Volt will or won't do... in a couple of years maybe there will be some hard numbers. At $40k or so, it'd be more interesting what the cheaper cars can do by then.
GasSavers_Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:00 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
Huh, 3100 ain't nothing for a car these days, more's the pity.
If you want to make a car with better mileage, you've gotta reduce the weight. The Honda Insight weighed 1800lbs and that is WITH batteries. If they elongated the same car to fit 4 passengers, it'd take no more than 100-200lbs of sheetmetal and that's a stretch. Why is that a stretch? Because the Civic Coupe, and hatchbacks tend to weigh in around 100-50lbs less than their 4 door counterparts, even when considering the lighter weight VX/HXs. The small weight difference in the two door and 4 door models has been consistent for at least 2 decades.

General Motors doesn't seem to understand that just because you make an aerodynamic vehicle and throw in all this half assed stolen technology (I'm exaggerating) it doesn't mean the car is going to be fuel efficient. I bet had the EV1 weighed as much as the Honda Insight it would have had the range of 150 miles to 200 miles, and that's on LEAD ACID batteries. Then again, we don't know what the car weighed without the batteries so it's all conjecture. Just remember, the 1800LB Insight is nearly HALF the weight of the EV1 and the Volt yet it carried NIMH batteries, an Engine and didn't skimp on any features. (IMO) From what I read, even after they changed the EV1 batteries to NIMH, I don't believe the curb weight changed all that much.

I thought I should also let you guys know my family was one of the first to have an EV1, I have the charger to prove it.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:21 AM   #8
Registered Member

i'm with you on this *************. also they had older tech. batterys and that got more mileage on one charge with then the volt. the weight is diffently added to aplease big oil. because once the batterys are out of juice, u gotta use the generator that uses(big shocking music from soap operas)gasoline. reduce the weight by say...100-150 pounds and keep the batterys,motor..etc the same or loss the weight and add more batterys.lol shoot add 100lbs more batterys lol. GM is a good company, with some pretty good cars. They do front flips to make the public/consummer happy. but at the same time do triple flips to make Big Oil even happier. Same goes for most other companys as well.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:26 AM   #9
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
In case you didn't notice, the EV1 has LEAD ACID batteries, the Volt is Lithium Ion batteries.
I understand that, its still a larger vehicle though... Steel is heavy.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:45 AM   #10
Registered Member

true, steel is heavy. but why not use aluminum. cheaper, lighter,and if it's a good grade it can be even stronger.