Chrysler to offer a lifetime powertrain warrenty on all new vehicles - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2007, 04:13 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_Red
Chrysler to offer a lifetime powertrain warrenty on all new vehicles

Heard about this over on JeepForum. Too bad it doesn't cover diesels. Wonder if this is a last ditch attempt to drum up sales, or something influenced by Cherry when they begin importing their cars, similar to, I believe, Kias 10/100,000 warrenty.

Autoblog's post
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/07/26/b...rain-warranty/

Chrysler's press release.

Quote:
Chrysler Introduces New 'Best-in-Industry' Lifetime Powertrain Warranty
on Chrysler, Jeep® and Dodge Vehicles

* The New Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty – the first from an OEM and the longest in the industry – is a statement of confidence in the reliability of Chrysler products
* Warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair covered powertrain components – engine, transmission and drive system
* Provides worry-free ownership for new Chrysler, Jeep® and Dodge owners

Auburn Hills, Mich., Jul 26, 2007 - Chrysler today announced that the Company would extend its powertrain warranty from the 3-year/36,000-mile Basic Limited Warranty to a new Lifetime Powertrain Warranty. The new Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty applies to most new Chrysler, Jeep® and Dodge vehicles purchased from dealer inventory and delivered on or after July 26, 2007.

The Lifetime Powertrain Warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair covered powertrain components – engine, transmission and drive system. The new powertrain warranty is limited to the first registered owner or retail lessee. Customers should contact dealers for details on vehicle selection.

"This new Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty is a statement of confidence to our customers to the reliability of their powertrain. It's peace-of-mind reassurance for as long as they own the vehicle," said Steven Landry, Executive Vice President – North America, Sales and Marketing, Service and Parts, Chrysler Group.

To continue warranty coverage, the owner must have a powertrain inspection performed by an authorized Chrysler, Jeep or Dodge dealer once every 5 years. This inspection will be performed at no charge. The inspection must be made within 60 days of each 5-year anniversary of the warranty start date of the vehicle.

Landry added, "The new Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty underscores our focus on quality and customer satisfaction. It demonstrates our commitment to customers and the confidence we have in our ability to produce quality, reliable and durable vehicles. That's why we put 'lifetime' on it."

Old 07-28-2007, 05:03 PM   #2
Registered Member

Wow...

Old 07-28-2007, 08:43 PM   #3
Registered Member

Chrysler on its own

Yup, Chrysler's on it's own. Daimler-Benz dropped them, and the investors are on their own. The sad part is the Jeep situation. Looking back, it should have stayed an AMC product -- but not so, I suppose... The Patriot/Nitro = ???

I guess the lifetime powertrain warranty is reasonable. The most popular engine, the 2.4L Mitsubishi "World Engine" is pretty durable (the turbo PT Cruiser is the exception, which probably would get the most use -- second to the 6.1L hot-rod).

A 1.8L 4-banger in the Dodge Caliber is the smallest displacement offering, but how reliable is it?

But, the rest includes the: 2.7L, 3.3L, 3.5L, 3.7L, and 4.0L - V6's (no more inline-6), and 4.7L, 5.7L, and 6.1L V8's.

...and what is the definition of "Lifetime" -- mine or the car's? Meh, nevermind. I still don't think I'd buy one. I had the misfortune of piloting a 2007 PT Cruiser 2-weeks ago, and it was miserable. The powertrain sounded like a coffee grinder...

Looking back, the Libby and Magnum weren't "Best in Class" either.
Darn shame about Jeep, tho... I learned to drive on an '86 Cherokee Pioneer 4-speed, which was pretty durable despite the Renault transmission.

-Rick
Old 07-28-2007, 09:04 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
I laughed sooo hard when I heard the commercial say lifetime warranty tonight. I'm sure Chrysler has changed many things since the K cars. I just find it hard to believe the company that put an aluminum head on an iron block without engineering a proper head gasket to deal with the difference in expansion rates, as well as having transmissions that wouldn't last more than 60K miles, is now saying lifetime warranty. Hmm, I bet everyone that bought a new Dodge just before today feels screwed over.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 10:27 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_Red
Rick,
Blah, the Patriot/Nitro are a blight in automotive design, with the Compass coming in a close second IMO. Would be great of Jeep was able to become its own company and return to its roots, but I doubt it. Too many people want a blinged out mall crawler than a truck that can keep one comfortable and can keep up with the original Rovers. I fear that Jeep will go the way of the Hummer; Bigger and rolling on 22s.

TomO,
Too bad CC (Chrysler-Cherry?) won't extend this new warranty to current owners of older vehicles. Would have loved to make Chrysler fork the bill for the tranny I had to buy when my first one craped out on me. (00-01 4.0 TJs shipped with missing oil slingers). Supposedly, if you bought a Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep within the last 3 months you can get in on the warranty for the low cost of only $900 bucks, if you pass their inspection So make sure you can eat off your car before coming in I suppose. I see a whole lot of warranty claims that will be denied due to "abuse," misuse, or "normal wear and tear" with this warranty.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:32 PM   #6
Registered Member

Yeah, this is going to run them farther into the grave. How long has it been again since Chrysler made a reliable car? Thirty years or so?
repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 05:03 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
I see a whole lot of warranty claims that will be denied due to "abuse," misuse, or "normal wear and tear" with this warranty.
That is what I was wondering. If you need a new rings or a new auto trans at 150k miles, is that covered, or is it normal wear, and excluded? Because forget cars - do you know how many people drive Dodge pickups 50-70,000 miles a year? It's gonna be expensive keeping those fixed...