Competitors for AAA - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-28-2009, 08:41 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I re-examined the option from my insurance company. I misread it the first time. I thought it was $8 per month, but it's $8 per 6 month term. At $16 per year it is a no-brainer. I don't intend to ever use it, but if my vehicle needs to be towed, there it is.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:35 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post
I use AAA as well.

Long waits are common.
Yep...30 minutes is about par for the course.

A little story...I ran out of gas (broken gas gauge in my Nash Rambler) on the I-210 freeway in Pasadena on Sept. 30, 1987. On an overpass. While waiting for Auto Club to get to me, I noticed that the bridge was vibrating. At first I was thinking earthquake, then I realized that it was vibrating from the weight of the cars and trucks going over it.

I was awakened the next morning by a 5.9 earthquake...

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:58 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBob View Post
Yep...30 minutes is about par for the course.

A little story...I ran out of gas (broken gas gauge in my Nash Rambler) on the I-210 freeway in Pasadena on Sept. 30, 1987. On an overpass. While waiting for Auto Club to get to me, I noticed that the bridge was vibrating. At first I was thinking earthquake, then I realized that it was vibrating from the weight of the cars and trucks going over it.

I was awakened the next morning by a 5.9 earthquake...
wow scary, ive only felt/remembered one aftershock. i just layed down in bed and cosed my eyes, second i did that it felt like someone grabbed my ankled pulled me down then pushed back up real fast. i kinda sat up in bed listening, heard some stuff clinking in the house got up looked around my room, looked outside, walked all around the house and looked outside nothign weird... i didnt know if i imagined it ir not... turns out the next day there was one by st louis and the aftershock one reached up here

theres a canal bridge (maybe 100 feet long) 4 lanes wide that if your stopped oon it and a semi comes up next to you or passes the other direction you can feel it shake and bounce. kinda unsettiling
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:37 AM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I have never experienced an earthquake. We very rarely have them in RI. I think there's only been one or two in my lifetime - and I was asleep when it (or they) happened.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:12 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
wow scary, ive only felt/remembered one aftershock. i just layed down in bed and cosed my eyes, second i did that it felt like someone grabbed my ankled pulled me down then pushed back up real fast. i kinda sat up in bed listening, heard some stuff clinking in the house got up looked around my room, looked outside, walked all around the house and looked outside nothign weird... i didnt know if i imagined it ir not... turns out the next day there was one by st louis and the aftershock one reached up here

theres a canal bridge (maybe 100 feet long) 4 lanes wide that if your stopped oon it and a semi comes up next to you or passes the other direction you can feel it shake and bounce. kinda unsettiling
I lived in Westlake Village then. The banging of closet doors woke me and I lay on my back waiting for bits of plaster to fall on me, as happened to me during a major earthquake in Ethiopia a few years earlier, then I realized where I was and raced out of the upatairs bedroom to check on the children to see the hanging lamp over the stairs swaying in huge arcs, just missing the wall four feet away.
623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:24 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I have never experienced an earthquake. We very rarely have them in RI. I think there's only been one or two in my lifetime - and I was asleep when it (or they) happened.
I think we're due up for one again soon. I went through the one in '71 (Sylmar)...had a TV chassis next to my bed with an exposed picture tube...then the '87 Whittler quake, a few smaller quakes in the late '80s/early '90s, the '92 Landers/Big Bear quakes (2 big quakes for the price of one!), '94 Northridge quake, another couple in the late '90s. Also a couple small ones this decade. Been pretty quiet lately...

The small ones are kinda fun...as long as nothing is broken and no one is hurt...

My wife was in a parking lot one time for one...she thought it was kinda interesting seeing the cars bounce up and down...

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:52 PM   #17
Registered Member

This is what I use:
http://www.betterworldclub.com/
No less costly than 3A, but I have a clearer conscience about it.
I have their bicycle coverage, too.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:29 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I re-examined the option from my insurance company. I misread it the first time. I thought it was $8 per month, but it's $8 per 6 month term. At $16 per year it is a no-brainer. I don't intend to ever use it, but if my vehicle needs to be towed, there it is.
As someone who drives fairly unreliable vehicles, I've had AAAplus for about 20 years (ever since my brother drove trucks for them), and I will continue to use it. The nice thing is that I can get towed up to 100 miles for free - many "basic" services will tow you 3 miles then charge a pretty steep mileage charge after that. I'm never within 3 miles of home...

-BC