Competitors for AAA - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-23-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Question Competitors for AAA

I'd like a roadside service subscription like AAA and I'm wondering what competitors are available. I know that I could get it with my auto insurance, so that's one other option. I saw a tire repair kit that came with 3 years of roadside service once in a store...I think it was Slime-branded. I checked their site and found similar kits but they don't say anything about service.

There's Good Sam. They market mainly to RV drivers but AFAIK their roadside service/towing subscription is valid on cars too. It's more expensive but offers unlimited-distance towing.

How about other companies?

Edit: Found another one. Nationwide Roadside Assistance is $40/year, includes coverage and cards for spouse and children at no additional cost, covers $100 worth of towing instead of 3 miles, but doesn't cover winching out of snow if you get stuck.

Edit again: For my own reference...
http://nationwideroadsideassistance.com/FAQ.aspx
http://www.aaa.com/aaa/240/sne/membe.../benefits.html

Old 12-23-2009, 06:11 PM   #2
Registered Member

AAA, at least here in California, costs about $100/year if you take the Premium service. Four calls (or is it six? I don't recall right now, I think it is four), up to 100 miles towing. Basic AAA is six miles, for me when I've needed a tow, it has usually been a lot more than six miles. If I am riding in someone else's car, and it breaks down, I can get them towed on my account.
This is in addition to free maps, travel agent service (does anybody use travel agents anymore?), discounts on various and sundry stuff, and I can go to the AAA office and register a car, or pay registration, w/o going to the DMV. That's probably worth the money right there.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:15 PM   #3

I got the insurance company rider for roadside assistance, for something like $1.50, 15 yrs ago. Coming home from a camping trip, I lost power to the wheels. I'd forgotten about my towing insurance, but one of my passengers belonged to AAA, and got a tow truck. She and I were riding in the tow truck, which was towing my (RWD) vehicle.

All of a sudden, the tow truck driver said, "Oh sh**!" I looked in the mirror, and my vehicle was sending up a shower of sparks, dragging on its rear bumper and axle housing. A tire/wheel assembly attached to 3' of axle shaft was cartwheeling down the highway next to the tow truck, causing all the other vehicles on the road to get out of its way. A rear axle bearing had failed, allowing the axle to come apart.

For years, I wondered why my insurance company paid me for the 15 yr old vehicle, as I didn't have comprehensive or collision coverage on it, just liability. One day, it dawned on me. It was my $1.50 towing insurance that covered that incident! Best $1.50 I ever spent.
FrugalFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:59 PM   #4
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

I know that roadside assistance is available with my cellular service (AT&T). I think its something like $3 or $4/mo.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:36 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
I got the insurance company rider for roadside assistance, for something like $1.50, 15 yrs ago. Coming home from a camping trip, I lost power to the wheels. I'd forgotten about my towing insurance, but one of my passengers belonged to AAA, and got a tow truck. She and I were riding in the tow truck, which was towing my (RWD) vehicle.

All of a sudden, the tow truck driver said, "Oh sh**!" I looked in the mirror, and my vehicle was sending up a shower of sparks, dragging on its rear bumper and axle housing. A tire/wheel assembly attached to 3' of axle shaft was cartwheeling down the highway next to the tow truck, causing all the other vehicles on the road to get out of its way. A rear axle bearing had failed, allowing the axle to come apart.

For years, I wondered why my insurance company paid me for the 15 yr old vehicle, as I didn't have comprehensive or collision coverage on it, just liability. One day, it dawned on me. It was my $1.50 towing insurance that covered that incident! Best $1.50 I ever spent.
haah wow. but really, wouldnt that have been the tow truck drivrs fault for hooking it up wrong? with a RWD vehicle your supposed to tow it from the rear...
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:17 PM   #6

It was actually a 4X4, so I probably put the transfer case in neutral for the tow. It's also possible it had an AT that was flat towable.
FrugalFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:48 AM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
LOL, did anyone notice my garbled spelling of "competitors" for the subject line? I must have been tired or distracted.

I'll have to check with Sprint, $4/month would be a bargain.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:11 AM   #8
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post

I'll have to check with Sprint, $4/month would be a bargain.

This is what I see from my online account management.
Quote:
Smart Solutions

Listed below are some features that can help you manage your life. For more details about a particular feature, click the feature name that interests you.

Miscellaneous Features
Roadside Assistance $2.99
Quote:
Roadside Assistance
A quick toll-free call provides 24/7 service, convenience, and reliability.

Services include:

Towing (for mechanical failures)
Battery service/jump start
Flat tire assistance
Out-of-gas fuel delivery (up to three gallons, gas or diesel)
Lockout assistance
Key replacement
Bonus Hertz rental car savings
Only $2.99 per month and new subscribers get their first 30 days free. No long-term contract required; you may cancel at anytime by contacting AT&T Customer Service. To avoid the $2.99 monthly charge, you must cancel the feature within the first 30 days. The AT&T Roadside Assistance feature must be active for at least 72 hours to be eligible to utilize the AT&T Roadside Assistance program

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:52 AM   #9
Registered Member

I use CSAA (AAA) because of the long range tow.
The problem is their own success which causes so much business that 30 minute to an hour or longer waits for the truck are common in major metropolitan areas.

The problem with any company is how long a wait for help.

AAA will put a battery in your vehicle. Turns out you pay a premium for it. Proves there ain't no free lunch.
623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:03 AM   #10
Registered Member

I use AAA as well.

Long waits are common.

rgathright is offline   Reply With Quote