Computer Junk Slowing - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-26-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
Registered Member

Computer Junk Slowing

Why does this product find all kinds of stuff when doing it longhand and using other products don't find anything?

I've been having Hotmail trouble, works, but keeps saying it can't connect to the internet and locks up for periods of time.
Everything else seems to be okay.

623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
Registered Member

Re: Computer Junk Slowing

is this a troll thread? can't be serious... As for your internet issues, only thing I can suggest is try running command prompt and then ping something like hotmail.com indefinitely and see if you get dropped packets. If you get dropped packets like every 10th packet or so, you probably have noise on your line. Could be as simple as a loose cord.

On your keyboard, hold the Windows Key (Windows Symbol) + R simultaneously-> a dialog box will pop up, then type in: "CMD", (no quotation marks) -> hit enter, black screen will pop up->type in: "ping hotmail.com -t" ->hit enter, then let it run for like 10 minutes and then scroll up through the list and see if it says "Request Timed Out".

To screen capture, just press "print screen" button on your keyboard (top right hand corner), open up mspaint (Windows Key + R -> in the dialog box, type in mspaint -> hit enter key ), then in mspaint, hold ctrl+v, picture will pop up and then save the file as a jpg or PNG, upload to web and let us know.

imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:45 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

^I agree with his troubleshooting steps.

That "Fixcleaner" looks like a scam. When users come in with something like that I ask them if I can delete it before I even begin working on their computer.

To check for malware, use Spybot S&D and Malwarebytes to scan your system. Also use a GOOD traditional virus scanner for realtime protection and one-off scans - not Norton/Symantec/McAfee, which tend to be bad at detecting viruses and good at messing up your system. I recommend Microsoft Security Essentials (free) or AVG (also free). I kept a collection of samples that Symantec failed to detect and tested all of the popular antivirus programs against the samples; Microsoft Security Essentials was the most effective against them.

You can also use one-time and online scanners from most of the major antivirus vendors.

Anyway, the stuff that Fixcleaner describes in your photo is junk buildup, not malware. It's not harmful; it's just like crud buildup in your engine's EGR system. It's stuff that CCleaner will clean, and CCleaner is known to be good, totally free, and never a problem.

If you have any doubt about legitimate sites for downloading the programs I named, ask and I'll provide the legit links.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
Registered Member

I sorta figured that and just deleted it.
I think they function like 'the drive-by media' who find a bunch of unimportant stuff and relabel it to make it sound serious.
All I was trying to do was get Hotmail to stop saying it can't connect to the internet and taking forever to complete a task.
My problems began when I downloaded Firefox 4, which I have removed and reloaded a number of times now.

This pops up each time I open Firefox. When I delete it, this opensWhen I remove it, then Firefox opens....and seems to run fine, except for hotmail.

In fact, I just went to a number of email links using IE and they work fine. Problem seems to be with Firefox.
623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:18 PM   #5
Registered Member

Normally I wouldn't say this, but because of the issues you're having, after you uninstall firefox, be sure to shut down the computer fully (not standby, hibernate, etc, unplug it, press the power button multiple times and or hold it for like 10 seconds, then plug everything back in, power it on and reinstall it. I only mention this because you might have slightly corrupted system memory and depowering the computer entirely is the only way to clear it with a 100% guarantee. A lot of electronic devices can have their capacitors drained by simply attempting to turn them on when there is no power source connected.. Might also want to try an older version of Firefox like 3.6 since 4.0 is a new release.

Assuming this IS the issue, you don't have do the above procedure everytime you uninstall a program. I'd only do this (for the sake of saving time and sanity) when no matter what you do, restarting the computer several times or whatever, for whatever reason the computer just doesn't work right.
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:02 PM   #6
Registered Member

use ccleaner alot, seems to work great, cleans up the registry and fixed some of my errors that my old computer had.

adaware used to be good till it got commercialized haha
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:30 AM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Yeah, Ad-Aware is pretty craptastic now.

Use Revo Uninstaller to make sure the removal of Firefox is complete.
http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_..._download.html
The free version is all you need.

I don't think a cold boot and capacitor purge is necessary for this but it won't hurt anything. Rebooting is a good idea, I just think a soft boot is plenty for this purpose.

Here's the download link for Firefox 3.6.16
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/product...win&lang=en-US