Crazy weather - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-05-2007, 10:43 AM   #1
Registered Member

Crazy weather

I just rode my bike to the bank and back. That in itself is pretty unusual for this time of year in Ontario (even for me).

But while out, I saw 2 things I have never seen before in January:

- a caterpillar crawling on a wall (I've never seen a live bug outside in January)

- small flowers blooming in a garden (3 months ahead of "normal")

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:58 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
the weather here in Minnesota is being a little weird as well. It was 39 degrees F yesterday. Normally we are in the teens or low 20s for a high around this time.

Hmm, Global Warming?

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:03 AM   #3
Registered Member

Come and get me. Today.
CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:14 AM   #4
Registered Member

I live on a lake. Normally I have been ice fishing a few times but this time of year. This year no ice at all and expected to hit mid 60's tomorrow. Normally we are lucky to get to 35 in January.

https://www.cardomain.com/ride/2452824

GasSavers_Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:40 AM   #5
Registered Member

Yay, finally a subject I know about. This abnormal weather (I'm in shorts in TN) is due in part by our global warming(we can't stop it, it can only progress so our efforts for less emissions is pointless unless you want to waste time.) and because the magnetic poles are due to switch places within the next couple thousand years. (Yes it is recorded that at one point in history our current North was actually south and visa versa) When they do eventually shift just about everything will die. Because we will loose our ozone instantaneously as well as our consistent gravity. If you don't die here it will either be in the vacuum of space or be ripped apart by the erratic gravity. Mind you this will span many many years before Earth comes back to a somewhat normal state. Have a great life knowing how the world will eventually come to terms.

Edit: Sorry for the flub erotic gravity will not kill you. Just seduce you.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:26 PM   #6
kps
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rstb88
ripped apart by the erotic gravity.
And the Nobel Prize for Physics goes to... the Marquis de Sade!

Edit: Seriously, if you find a connection between electromagnetism and gravity, you will win a Nobel or three. And pole reversals are not associated with mass extinctions in the geological record (Homo erectus lived through one); if you want an 'all die' natural disaster to worry about, check out the Yellowstone Caldera.
kps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:11 PM   #7
Registered Member

El Nino and GW

Definitely wierd. I am a FIRM believer in global warming -- but what we're experiencing is a combination. Probably 25% Global Warming and 75% El Nino, which is completely screwing up our climate right now. I'm really concerned that the severe weather season is going to be terrible. The warm, moist air from the Pacific will feed into normally dry regions and mix with cool air from the North and wreak havoc -- look at Colorado and Eastern Kansas right now -- abnormally precipitous. NOAA has already issued Tornado warnings for the South in JANUARY. They just released a "Mesoscale" discussion for a snowstorm in the Cascades of Washington and Oregon plus a Tornado watch for South Carolina. I say: stay prepared and informed...

RH77
Old 01-05-2007, 11:18 PM   #8
Registered Member

So far this winter there has only been 2 days of snow in Helsinki Finland , with none on the ground at this moment.
It should have been inches deep for 1 1/2 months now.
onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:50 PM   #9
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rstb88
and because the magnetic poles are due to switch places within the next couple thousand years. (Yes it is recorded that at one point in history our current North was actually south and visa versa)
I'd like to see some info on the poles being recorded as reversed at one point.
The only thing I've ever heard of about that was how the earths magnetic field is weakening. which is normal for magnets, over time they loose strength.
If you have any links id like to see them.
GasSavers_nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 08:36 PM   #10

The ocean floor has a pretty good record of the poles flipping. They can tell by the way the rock was formed at a fault line. I can't remember for sure but I think it averaged out to every 10k years it flipped. The flipping part isn't a big deal it is the random fluctuations that will happen for 1-50 years that will be annoying.

Been a while since I went over this stuff so my numbers are prob off a bit.

CoyoteX is offline   Reply With Quote