Crude Oil as a Sustainable Resource? - Page 6 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2008, 12:10 PM   #51
Registered Member

good link Carlos. not doubting the genuiness of any supporter of GW, but in reminds me of well intended failures...

prescription drugs(or any consumer product deemed dangerous) that are recalled after found to cause extreme side affects or death are a good example. no question the doctors prescribing them did not have ill intent. the drug companies may be another story tho(turn away for the sake of $).

also, as far as studies(stats) go check this out football fans:
what NFL defense allowed the fewest points ever in a season? 78 steelers, 86 bears, 72 dophins? no,no, and no. fact: the 1976 atlanta falcons.

not even mentioned as one of the best defenses ever. why? because of strength of schedule and because they were always behind. so the other team elected to run the ball burning the clock for fewer yards/points.

that's not even stat manipulation, just keen observation.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:32 PM   #52
Supporting Member

bowtieguy -

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
good link Carlos. not doubting the genuiness of any supporter of GW, but in reminds me of well intended failures...

prescription drugs(or any consumer product deemed dangerous) that are recalled after found to cause extreme side affects or death are a good example. no question the doctors prescribing them did not have ill intent. the drug companies may be another story tho(turn away for the sake of $).

also, as far as studies(stats) go check this out football fans:
what NFL defense allowed the fewest points ever in a season? 78 steelers, 86 bears, 72 dophins? no,no, and no. fact: the 1976 atlanta falcons.

not even mentioned as one of the best defenses ever. why? because of strength of schedule and because they were always behind. so the other team elected to run the ball burning the clock for fewer yards/points.

that's not even stat manipulation, just keen observation.
From my POV your prescription drug argument is incorrect. I think the reason why those drugs are on the market is that the FDA testing regimen has been compromised by "Big Pharma" because they want to make a greasy buck ASAP. I don't see the FDA as a well intended failure, I see it as a department that has been made toothless over the years by the (you guessed it) pharmaceutical corporations.

From my POV, you see Scientists as having an "investment" in being right (because their careers are at stake?). But, the history of science is change. I see science as the best possible description of the "world out there" as we experience and measure it, not the world as we want it to be. The imperfection of ego (in all human endeavor) can and will interfere with this description. But, in the long run, science has done a pretty good job of getting it right.

As of this moment, the vast majority of scientists are in agreement on this issue. As far as I am concerned, it's not worth debate. The 1976 Atlanta Falcons is a statistic taken out of context. IMO, when you put it into context, you are being more "scientific". I don't think you can say the same thing about Global Warming. The preponderance of evidence that keeps "fitting the theory" is overwhelming.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:54 PM   #53
Registered Member

change indeed Carlos! a great many scientists also believe we are headed towards a cooling period. as i said, time will tell. in the mean time we are not working decisive enough to reduce pollution IMO. both views need to put aside partisanship and start with that(pollution).

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote