Crude Oil as a Sustainable Resource? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-05-2007, 05:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq View Post
Those seem to be about only methane/formation/extraction, not conversion of methane to crude. Got anything else?

Your guess is as good as mine for keywords to search on. Mix and match. Most good stuff is in the first ten hits, but sometimes the nugget is buried around 15-20.

Mayhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:34 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Incredible View Post
And who's can say it isn't happening at all?
You are asking proof of a negative? Prove that invisible pink unicorns didn't create the universe.

Or prove that oil beneficieries arent bringing this up to sow confusion and buy time and make more money and sell out the next generation.

Or prove that someone who hides behind a flag isn't a pedofile.

There is no solid evidence that oil is sustainable that I know of. Lots of crap in google from wishful thinkers though. Is crap your preferred flavor?

Old 12-05-2007, 09:28 AM   #13

"There is no solid evidence that oil is sustainable that I know of." - Skew(ed)be

That would be my guess, too.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:28 AM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Your post is probably what made that article catch my eye.

And who's can say it isn't happening at all?
No one can - only because that's not how the academic and scientific communities work. Evidence is the burden of the person/group making a claim. In any case - and as I said earlier and in the other thread. It's a mainly western theory versus a Russian (et. al.) theory. Up until circa 2000, most oil was found using the biogenic theory (certain regions have a certain geological record conducive to oil production). Around 2000, Russia started finding oil in areas that were unlikely to contain oil, following the bio theory. But because we all but laughed at them and their theory (and not willing to share our info) - they're not willing to give up their now proprietary (perhaps not the correct adjective) data.

Quote:
And "sustainable" arguments may just be quibbling.
Sustainable and renewable are very very different things. Sustainability is dependent on consumption (among other things). Fishing is a perfect example. Fish are a renewable food resource, but with overfishing etc. - it's not sustainable. I believe that relatively recently we put one specie of dolphin on the extinct list - while it wasn't a resource, it's another example of our ability to wipe out other species. Technically, the bio theory (fossil fuel) oil is a renewable resource - it just takes millions of years, after the correct conditions, to produce. But I highly doubt anyone is going to claim oil as a sustainable resource simply because of that

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:07 AM   #15

Trebuchet - Assuming it's real and happening, its renewing. Thus could be called renewable, even if not strictly how people think of that word today. Perhaps a change to the old word or a new word would be in order. Not my call.

I understand the difference between sustainable and renewable. Since abiotic oil is still not widely proven or explored, one couldn't say whether it is or isn't sustainable at any given rate. But since it hasn't been widely explored, it may be more renewable, thus more sustainable, than some might think.

Or not...
Old 12-14-2007, 06:59 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
Fish are a renewable food resource, but with overfishing etc. - it's not sustainable.
One of my professors has done leading research in this feild. It is predicted that if we continue to fish the oceans the way we currently do as of 2006 that by 2048 the oceans will have no sea life, only small organisms and plancton.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:45 AM   #17
Registered Member

If you sold petroleum, it would be to your benefit to say that it isn't renewable or sustainable to maintain the market prices as they are, or push them higher.

Interesting read...Thanks!
Old 12-17-2007, 07:02 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Your guess is as good as mine for keywords to search on. Mix and match. Most good stuff is in the first ten hits, but sometimes the nugget is buried around 15-20.
I tried but there's nothing on methane->crude. Any ideas?
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:04 PM   #19

It seems the main thing against the abiogenetic petroleum production is the fact that biogenetic petroleum production has been scientifically proven.

That means nothing.

To be scientifically proven merely means that no evidence has been found YET that contradicts a theory. And it seems the evidence for abiogenetic petroleum production contradicts the previously proven biogenetic petroleum production.
Wyldesoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:57 AM   #20

I don't believe it has to be one way or the other. I think there are great quantities of both, it's just that we've been looking for one type forever and haven't hardly begun searching where the other is found.

Crude Oil - Bubblin' Crude
Crude Oil Two - Abiogenic, Who Knew?
I can't wait for the next sequel.

Time will tell.