Cryptocurrency / Bought my first - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2017, 01:35 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewChewTrain View Post
Paul, on a podcast, I heard about someone that gives away Roman coins as a conversation starter, so to speak. Why aren't these coins worth a lot?
Who knows Doug, probably because they're so common, those damn Romans got about a bit. You can get about 60 assorted coins for around $15 on eBay, ancient stuff is cool, but rare ancient stuff is valuable. Occasionally someone will stumble across a pot of Norman gold coins worth a few million here, now that stuff is worth a bit!

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:20 AM   #12
Registered Member

Something about bitcoin and others just doesn't click. Despite having listened to multiple podcasts and done some reading, I don't really get how it works, what gives it value, etc. Usually at this point I'd feel like I have a decent handle on whatever I'm studying.

Old 11-24-2017, 05:51 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcp385 View Post
Something about bitcoin and others just doesn't click. Despite having listened to multiple podcasts and done some reading, I don't really get how it works, what gives it value, etc. Usually at this point I'd feel like I have a decent handle on whatever I'm studying.
What gives cryptocurrency value? I had a problem wrapping my head around THAT question, too. Afterall, it's just ones and zeros. You can't hold it!

Someone later explained it like this...Consensus is what gives gold, artwork, and paper money their value. For example, a $100 bill means something to you and me. That same $100 bill is valueless to an aborigine. But, if you could explain to the aborigine that that $100 could be traded for a fishing net, then that $100 suddenly has value.

You may have a warm, fuzzy feeling holding your ATM card, but it's just an embossed piece of plastic. Without that card, if you could recite the card numbers, you could STILL buy stuff over the internet.

Think of cryptocurrency like an ATM card, so to speak; an ATM card that gathers interest.

Try these explanations about cryptocurrency value.

https://www.google.com/search?q=what...hrome&ie=UTF-8
ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:59 AM   #14
Registered Member

My passing knowledge on cryptocurrency is that it has to be "mined" by a computer spending processor cycles to break the code the currency is based on. There is a finite limit on how many coins can be mined for each currency.

With a few old computers lying around, I though giving mining a try, but have other projects to do.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:12 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post
My passing knowledge on cryptocurrency is that it has to be "mined" by a computer spending processor cycles to break the code the currency is based on. There is a finite limit on how many coins can be mined for each currency.

With a few old computers lying around, I though giving mining a try, but have other projects to do.
Don't bother, Trollbait. Computers are now being sold specifically for mining. The cost of electricity with a "typical" computer may cost more than the crypto credit you mine.

Keyword search YouTube for more info from far more knowledgeable people.

One YouTuber said you'll make $$$ faster BUYING cryptos than by buying a mining rig.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:51 PM   #16

I trust that paper cash ended up plainly useless when they began putting "legitimate delicate" on it; the legislatures printing more cash and controlling the market like China doesn't resist either.
Professional Essay Writer
KennethKGidley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:43 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennethKGidley View Post
I trust that paper cash ended up plainly useless when they began putting "legitimate delicate" on it; the legislatures printing more cash and controlling the market like China doesn't resist either.
Professional Essay Writer
The whole planet is going to hell, Ken.

And, welcome to the club!
Old 11-30-2017, 11:07 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewChewTrain View Post
Don't bother, Trollbait. Computers are now being sold specifically for mining. The cost of electricity with a "typical" computer may cost more than the crypto credit you mine.

Keyword search YouTube for more info from far more knowledgeable people.

One YouTuber said you'll make $$$ faster BUYING cryptos than by buying a mining rig.
That was what I figured. Only worthwhile if I also had some PV panels lying around doing nothing.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:25 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post
That was what I figured. Only worthwhile if I also had some PV panels lying around doing nothing.
Yep. Solar panels would be ideal.

The professional miners are using SO much electricity that they have to add air conditioning to their electric bill, too.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:45 AM   #20
Registered Member

ChewChewTrain, how is the cryptocurrency fairing?