Dammit! - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 06:10 AM   #41
Registered Member

1996-1998 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Manual Transmission, 97 ft3 Passenger volume, 39 ft3 of cargo room. Is a Diesel and is rated at 37mpg combined.. This is a huge vehicle in comparison with the Volvo 240DL..
2002?-2006 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon 89 ft3 Passenger volume, 34 ft3 of cargo room. Is a Diesel and is rated at 39mpg combined..

If it makes Jay feel any better, some of the newer SUVs on the market like the Jeep Patriot can now come in 2.4L variants with Manual Transmission and get 25mpg combined.

Jay, is the size requirement for a vehicle somewhere along the lines of a Volvo 240 wagon? Did you somehow determine that a 240 Wagon is about the size that you need??

Old 07-02-2010, 06:17 AM   #42
Site Team / Moderator

The truck rides and handles extremely well. I enjoy it a lot. In my former job as a civilian employee of the USMC I drove the largest size step van Chevrolet made. My Step van was only about 5 feet shorter than a full size school bus. This and I used to I also used to drive (and teach others to drive) ambulances. I have been specially trained in high speed operations and maneuvers in large, heavy trucks. I can do things in a Ford E450 Super Duty that some can't do in a Camry.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:20 AM   #43
Site Team / Moderator

Not that a 240 was what I needed, I thought a 240 diesel 5 speed wagon would be fun to drive, safe, durable,and get good mileage (*EDIT and nerdy). I could use one to take some mileage off the truck though.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:28 AM   #44
Registered Member

Ha Ha, look at all the rationalizing going on for driving the truck- same B.S. reasons why the U.S. has so many SUV/4x4 commuters.

No word yet on the cargo- that means the cargo definitely doesn't justify the truck.

It is FAR FAR easier to get good fe in a vehicle designed to get good fe than it is to mod a guzzler. That's just a fact. Damn those facts.

Good luck "Gassaving" - hell, I have a truck, it is used for truck jobs, no my car won't pull a 20' 18,000lb GVWR flatbed, so even though my truck is only used for hauling/pulling it's getting way better fe than the GMC (gaslog is now elsewhere, at 17.something). I'd say you have some work to do.

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

Old 07-02-2010, 12:25 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
Ha Ha, look at all the rationalizing going on for driving the truck- same B.S. reasons why the U.S. has so many SUV/4x4 commuters.
Yeah, it's called freedom.

That's why I love America.

Now since it seems you just joined the thread to join with the bashing, might I recommend one thing?

DON'T BE AN ***HOLE!

Maybe then people will decide to give your ideas more thought, rather than just dismiss them.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:51 PM   #46
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
Are you really that small minded? The guy drives a heavy *** truck with older engine technology, IN THE CITY. There is nothing feasible to be done except to replace the vehicle
Not sure about small minded, but there's definitely someone in here who is mind is very closed. There's plenty that can be done...in fact, everything that can be done in/to a more efficient vehicle can also be done in/to Jay's pickup. Same strategies, same techniques, same mods.

Come to think of it, there's more that can be done to improve a pickup's fuel economy if we're talking about modifications. With all that ground clearance and big axles catching wind, there's aerodynamic changes that can be done with air dams, skirts, and lowering. BTW, lowering can be done on a tiny budget in a pickup, unlike in a car. There's half a dozen free or very cheap ways to lower it. Final drive ratio changes are easier than in FWD cars too (though expensive).

Quote:
I just find it odd that the OP would find driving a Volvo 240 to be acceptable yet to drive the first generation Focus would be unacceptable. The OP hasn't quite defined what is wrong with the first Generation focus and while I can't blame him for not liking the vehicle, not liking this vehicle does start to pare off his options.
He knows what he likes. Some people just don't feel comfortable in certain vehicles, no matter what the measurements say.

Comfort is the first requirement for me. I cannot drive something daily in which I am not comfortable.

Quote:
If it makes Jay feel any better, some of the newer SUVs on the market like the Jeep Patriot can now come in 2.4L variants with Manual Transmission and get 25mpg combined.
I almost chose the 2008 Patriot instead of my 2008 Rabbit. Same curb weight, same power rating, same fuel economy rating, same interior/cargo space (not more). I was not comfortable in it. Too bad, it was a little cheaper and came with a lifetime powertrain warranty.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:09 PM   #47
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
I just find it odd that the OP would find driving a Volvo 240 to be acceptable yet to drive the first generation Focus would be unacceptable. The OP hasn't quite defined what is wrong with the first Generation focus and while I can't blame him for not liking the vehicle, not liking this vehicle does start to pare off his options.
I do not like the build quality of the 1st generation Focus. One of my sisters has one, and I hate driving her car. The dash rattles and buzzes all the way down the road. Even stopped at a traffic light, her dash still buzzes from the vibration of the engine. My brother in law runs the service dept in a Ford dealer, is a die-hard Ford man, and even he says the 1st gen Focus is a POS.

Dad's 2nd Gen Focus looks a lot nicer than the 1st gen models, has a nice, quiet ride, and its fun for a little car. Plus the Microsoft SYNC is really nice. It doesn't buzz or rattle as it goes down the road.

Plainly put, if I were to buy a Focus, I would not consider a 1st gen model at all.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:59 PM   #48
Registered Member

what about this:
Quote:
1996-1998 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Manual Transmission, 97 ft3 Passenger volume, 39 ft3 of cargo room. Is a Diesel and is rated at 37mpg combined.. This is a huge vehicle in comparison with the Volvo 240DL..
2002?-2006 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon 89 ft3 Passenger volume, 34 ft3 of cargo room. Is a Diesel and is rated at 39mpg combined..

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Not sure about small minded, but there's definitely someone in here who is mind is very closed. There's plenty that can be done...in fact, everything that can be done in/to a more efficient vehicle can also be done in/to Jay's pickup. Same strategies, same techniques, same mods.

Come to think of it, there's more that can be done to improve a pickup's fuel economy if we're talking about modifications. With all that ground clearance and big axles catching wind, there's aerodynamic changes that can be done with air dams, skirts, and lowering. BTW, lowering can be done on a tiny budget in a pickup, unlike in a car. There's half a dozen free or very cheap ways to lower it. Final drive ratio changes are easier than in FWD cars too (though expensive).
Also I wasn't talking about things that can or can't be done, I was talking about things that actually make sense to be done. Also there isn't anything to be done about city driving when you're driving a pickup with a 5.7 litre engine. Everything you've mentioned helps on the highway, not the city driving that Jay does. A grille block and aerodynamic crap only goes so far. It's just more cost effective to get another vehicle even if you like the vehicle less. You're not going to bring a truck rated at 12mpg in the city up to 20mpg in the city unless you think spending $12K premium for a hybrid pickup makes sense..
Old 07-02-2010, 04:02 PM   #49
Registered Member

I'm surprised the op hadn't considered getting the same year truck but with a manual transmission and the smaller 4.3 litre engine... You can get this configuration in 4WD.. But of course this will never happen.

Also you could get an '85 Volkswagen Quantum, 91 ft3 of passenger volume and 38 ft3 of cargo volume.. It's a diesel 5speed and it's rated at 31mpg combined on the new epa system.

There are a bunch of diesel wagons from the 80s that you could choose from and all have plentiful cargo space.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:58 PM   #50
Registered Member

all this conversation over a broken mirror from a carwash???

what did the owner of the car wash say? it may have been somewhere in this thread but I had a hard time weeding through all the other mess.

by the way, boomer is a cool name for the bike. if it really sticks, you could have it airbrushed on it somewhere.

Closed Thread