Democrats want Big Three spending plan - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Android Users - Coming Soon! - Migrating from aCar 4.8 to 5.0

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-21-2008, 10:55 AM   #11
Registered Member
 
GasSavers_SD26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 529
Country: United States
What does everyone do for a living? I mean, there's so much animosity for larger vehicles. I like fuel efficient vehicles. But it isn't going to pull my trailer for work. Eliminate the opportunities that the US 3 have built that suit me, because of CAFE or a need to "produce cars people want"...but don't buy...then I guess I have to buy an International 4700 or something to pull around a trailer? That seems like a waste of resources. I don't need three cars: two fuel efficient cars and a giant truck.

High tax on gas/diesel... It's taxed already. Isn't diesel even taxed higher federally than gasoline? And it's a perfect system with the more you use, the more you pay in taxes. Where's the current problem?

The only thing the US companies did wrong was continuing down a relationship where their workers are overpaid for the same work that other workers do even in the same economy, the United States.

Reid and Pelosi and others seem to want to put business on the government wellfare programs, so why shouldn't they go to the trough. Paulson's been given $700 billion to play with.

Bankruptcy laws will actually allow the US manufacturers an opportunity to fix some problems. If US DOT and EPA allowed an opportunity for the US manufacturers to bring in some of their "foreign" products, like small diesel cars, maybe they would also have more to sell.

Problems are coming from a lot of angles.
__________________

__________________
Dave
GasSavers_SD26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:03 AM   #12
Site Team / Moderator
 
Jay2TheRescue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 4,657
Country: United States
Location: Northern Virginia
International 4700's are fun to drive, especially with the Allison MD3060 transmission.

When I was the vehicle officer at the resuce squad I only ordered 4700's because the Ford E450's ate up my repair budget. Seemed I was putting brakes on a truck at least twice a year. They just weren't suited to the service we were putting them through. I switched to Internationals and all of a sudden instead of a brake job lasting 5,000 miles they were lasting 50,000 - 100,000 miles. Tires were lasting 80,000 - 100,000 miles instead of 20,000 - 30,000. The transmission didn't fall apart at 80,000 miles as well. Even though it got slightly worse mileage than the E450's it was by far the cheapest vehicle we had to operate.

-Jay
__________________

__________________






Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 02:59 PM   #13
Registered Member
 
bowtieguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,873
Country: United States
Location: orlando, florida
it's ironic how the same individuals that cry "help the poor" w/ socialism are the same ones that want high gas prices to promote efficient cars. meanwhile they(the poor) get the double wammy as goods and services increase in price as well.

sometimes the poor have no choice, ie given a gas guzzler or pay cash for one. ever price compare a big chevy to a small honda?

and Jay,

we have mostly internationals(maybe 50?). they're good, cheap trucks and cheap/easy to maintain. macks, i believe, are the best value however. their reputation is strong for a reason.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:14 PM   #14
Registered Member
 
GasSavers_SD26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 529
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
it's ironic how the same individuals that cry "help the poor" w/ socialism are the same ones that want high gas prices to promote efficient cars. meanwhile they(the poor) get the double wammy as goods and services increase in price as well.
Agreed. It's not even high gas prices they want, they want to tax it even more.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
we have mostly internationals(maybe 50?). they're good, cheap trucks and cheap/easy to maintain. macks, i believe, are the best value however. their reputation is strong for a reason.
Ok, so I have to ask...

All the talk of Internationals, yeah, I brought it up...

I'm not sure how many people are able to do double duty with an ambulance as their work truck and family vehicle. I think my point is being missed.

The gap between the small trucks in the half ton class and medium duty trucks is pretty big. I don't see Honda moving into that. They have had ample opportunity, but they have selected to stay out. Toyota and Nissan have similarly only stayed on track with the half ton trucks.
__________________
Dave
GasSavers_SD26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:23 PM   #15
Registered Member
 
bowtieguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,873
Country: United States
Location: orlando, florida
SD26,

i, for one, see your point as being a valid one. the same could be said of electric or hybids in regard to heavy duty/delivery. it's not practical at this time. it might work for UPS, but they don't even come close to what i deliver in respect to load weight.

when diesel was 5$/gal, we worked to tighten our operation in order to maintain pricing. if it increases such that $5 is surpassed, certainly we would be forced to raise our prices.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:30 PM   #16
Site Team / Moderator
 
Jay2TheRescue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 4,657
Country: United States
Location: Northern Virginia
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
and Jay,

we have mostly internationals(maybe 50?). they're good, cheap trucks and cheap/easy to maintain. macks, i believe, are the best value however. their reputation is strong for a reason.

I loved the Internationals Great trucks, and cheap to keep on the road. There was a fantastic Int'l dealer not far from our squad so service was easy. I also took my anal-retentiveness to the truck. Internationals are completely customizable. I went in and had the shift points readjusted to make it shift smoother (for patient comfort, we weren't hauling gravel in it you know!) I also custom set the idle speeds to keep the batteries charged better. Something you could never do in the Fords... Plus with the Chassis being a cab-over design these things could do a U-Turn in the middle of a 2 lane road. Given the same amount of space the E450's would do a 6 or 8 point turn.

-Jay
__________________






Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:53 PM   #17
Registered Member
 
theholycow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,624
Country: United States
Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD26 View Post
All the talk of Internationals, yeah, I brought it up...

I'm not sure how many people are able to do double duty with an ambulance as their work truck and family vehicle. I think my point is being missed.

The gap between the small trucks in the half ton class and medium duty trucks is pretty big.
The International CXT rides that gap.

__________________
This sig may return, some day.
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:04 PM   #18
Site Team / Moderator
 
Jay2TheRescue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 4,657
Country: United States
Location: Northern Virginia
A guy down the street from me has one of those... its really cool...

-Jay
__________________






Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:18 PM   #19
Registered Member
 
shatto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 345
Country: United States
For a moment, may we look at the big picture?

The businesses having the most problems have all been the most affected by Government.

Businesses doing the best have the least government interference.

Oil is not a diminishing resource. There is more than ever.

You do not have the right to decide what vehicle someone else drives.
Yet. Remember how you voted.

Detroit does not build inefficient, low MPG crap.

The problem the 'Big Three' now have, is previous contracts with the AFL-CIO.

America has all kinds of energy. Environmentalists block any attempt to obtain and use it.
__________________
I use and talk about, but don't sell Amsoil.
Who is shatto?
06 4.7 Tundra replaced a 98 Dakota 3.9.
623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:04 PM   #20
Registered Member
 
Snax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 758
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by shatto View Post
For a moment, may we look at the big picture?

The businesses having the most problems have all been the most affected by Government.
Yeah, not like those required to pay fair wages or hire legal workers, or prevent soiling the environment with mercury or other toxics.

Quote:
Businesses doing the best have the least government interference.
Again, sans the previous sarcasm, to what end? Is successful business the only thing that matters when the air you breath is giving you cancer?

Quote:
Oil is not a diminishing resource. There is more than ever.
Ok, even most of the conservatives on here won't be swallowing that one. You are fishin' without bait!

Quote:
You do not have the right to decide what vehicle someone else drives.
Yet. Remember how you voted.

Detroit does not build inefficient, low MPG crap.

The problem the 'Big Three' now have, is previous contracts with the AFL-CIO.
Agreed. The big three executives have been doing their damage to the companies for years and current contracts are an obstacle to recovery. Clearly, if the companies go down, the contracts become void anyway. The UAW needs to remain flexible.

Quote:
America has all kinds of energy. Environmentalists block any attempt to obtain and use it.
Funny thing about that is how nearly everybody becomes an environmentalist when it comes to their own back yard however.
__________________

__________________
LiberalImage.com

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is this not a perfect example of clueless one source media? imzjustplayin General Discussion (Off-Topic) 15 07-06-2008 04:51 AM
Bernanke May Regret Interest-Rate Cuts, Lawson Says (Update2) HondaTorneoSiR Automotive News, Articles and Products 1 06-18-2008 02:20 PM
R12 Air Con coming soon :) landspeed General Maintenance and Repair 6 01-08-2008 07:47 AM
601.5 miles on 18.2 gallons, HURRAY!! 91CavGT General Fuel Topics 6 07-21-2007 05:03 PM
How long engine should be off Hockey4mnhs Hypermiling 8 12-21-2006 09:05 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.