Democrats want Big Three spending plan - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-24-2008, 12:54 PM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post
Is successful business the only thing that matters when the air you breath is giving you cancer?
i'll grant you that govt needs to "police" certain unscrupulous business practices, but cancer is a scare tactic that is much overused by enviro geeks.

i put it up right their w/ carbon dating, global warming, mental illness, and the like. there's not enough compelling evidence but much statistical spinning.

besides, there are soooooo many things that have proven to cause cancer. stress, lack of sleep, lack of excercise, diet, failure to laugh and love...these are a few(notice i left out environmental causes--by design).

one last thing...you mentioned mercury. THAT is still put in immunizations by drug companies which is approved by...you guessed it...the federal govt!

forgive me i digress.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:58 PM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
I don't know how Chrysler came up with that figure of 41MPG on the freeway for the K-car. My dad actually used to have a 1981 K-car with a four on the floor. And he was lucky if he got much over 30MPG on the freeway with that heap of crap.

StorminMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:01 PM   #23
Site Team / Moderator

My family had several of them over the years. (83 Reliant, 84 Aries, 86 Caravelle, 88 LeBaron, 88 Caravelle, 89 Aries) Among them was an 88 LeBaron with the trip computer. It reported that mom got 24 MPG AVG. I'm sure it could have done a lot better with someone else driving, and a straight trip on the highway. We never took the K cars on road trips, we always took the Bonneville Safari wagon.

Only 2 of then died premature deaths. One of them was totaled @ 100,000 miles, and another was running lean and blew a hole in a piston @ 100,000 miles. The 88 LeBaron had over 200,000 miles on it when we sold it (to a friend's son) and the car racked up over 300,000 miles before it died. The 89 Aries also racked up over 200,000 miles before my sister sold it.

I will admit that the fit & finish of the base model K cars was poor. It bugged the heck out of me to drive one and the overlay on the instrument panel was not lined up right, and the markings were not straight( On the Reliant and Aries models). There didn't seem to be the same problem on the Caravelle and LeBaron models. I also give them credit for making them ride as nice as they did. The K cars we had rode almost as well as a full size car, and they didn't look like an econobox. My dad mentioned when he got the first one that "It looks like a real car" (as compared to his previous company vehicle, an 81 Mercury Lynx which fell apart after 6 months - the tools he had in the back weighed more than the car!) He ended up driving the office's spare car, a 79 Mercury Monarch until the lease expired on his Lynx.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:33 PM   #24
Registered Member

My point about regulation is that given the opportunity to run amok, business always eventually will in the pursuit of the dollar. Further, GM, Ford, and Chrysler were not regulated into their current state.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:35 PM   #25
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post
My point about regulation is that given the opportunity to run amok, business always eventually will in the pursuit of the dollar. Further, GM, Ford, and Chrysler were not regulated into their current state.

i understood your point very well. i just wanted to throw in my 2 cents in regard to regulation's slowing of certain alternative fuels(nuclear power being one).

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote