Digital and Analog over cat5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2009, 10:25 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Digital and Analog over cat5

So, I've been wanting to connect my TV to my computer via cables so I can watch video from the computer on said tv. This is the plan, tell me if you think it'll work.

I have your typical 8 wire(4 pair) cat5 cable already running from the computer to the entertainment center for the internet but since the 100Mb connection to the router only requires 4 wires(orange pair and green pair) I'm left with an extra 2 pair of wires blue and brown.

I want to run the composite video feed through the brown pair and connect the data lines from a USB sound card to the other two(I'll put a 5v ac adaptor to power the device).

Now, here is the question. Will the digital signals interfere with the analog signal to a point that I end up with a dirty video signal? The cable is a good 20 foot long. The other, more expensive, option is to run data lines to an external USB sound card and video card. Then I only need one pair and a hub. But, again, it's more than I want to spend on this project.

The external sound card was only $2.50 shipped. I'm eager to hear the sound quality out of it(how much noise it has) since it would make for a VERY cheap and easy external DAC.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:09 AM   #2
Registered Member

Normally you need to impedance match the cables, some discussion here..
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=711031

but suck it and see. If it is no good, then it's probably cheaper to run coax and speaker wire for that distance rather than get the right baluns or amplifiers.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:18 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjones96 View Post
The other, more expensive, option is to run data lines to an external USB sound card and video card.
Perhaps I've missed something, but wouldn't there be the option to run a separate shielded cable to do the same work as the two pairs you were going to use? If you don't want to run prefab A/V cables, Cat6 is pretty nice.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:36 PM   #4
Registered Member

Yeah, I'd have to buy the shielded cable but i've read of analog signals going just fine over shielded cat5. I just wasn't sure about the digital and analog sharing a cable like that though. If I'm gonna do that, I might as well buy a 25 foot svideo cable and run it along with the cat5 under the metal door sill.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:59 AM   #5
Registered Member

Sooo, guess what I did? I bought a 25 foot S-video cable(it's way thicker than I'd expected) and am going to splice into the cat5 for the external sound card only. I'll have everything default to the internal sound card except for media player classic.

Winner!