Digital Camera Advice - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 12:35 PM   #1
*shrug*

Digital Camera Advice

Thinking about asking for one for my birthday so I'll have something to take pictures with while in Japan for the summer.

Any advice?

My ideas:
I want a digital SLR, because, SLR, duh
Can't be hella expensive

Not too much else form me on the issue, if you have one for sale though, lemme know,

Old 02-13-2007, 02:16 PM   #2
Registered Member

My advice: get a 35mm SLR.

The quality of digital isn't even close to that of film yet. If your pictures are just going to be quick point and shoot things for a trip and when hanging out with friends, there's no point in getting a digital SLR. The digital SLR's are more complicated than a 35mm SLR to operate, and are geared more towards professional photojournalists than the average tourist. If you're really into photography, then the Nikon digital rebel is pretty good.

Old 02-13-2007, 02:20 PM   #3
*shrug*

35mm is not vegan, so, yeah...I already have several of them anyway.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:13 PM   #4
Registered Member

I'm vegan too, but it will take alot for me to give up film.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:26 PM   #5
*shrug*

Well, I guess we all have different standards.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:46 PM   #6
Registered Member

Yeah. I'm just really into photography. Besides, I don't think that the tiny bit of gelatin in all of the film I've shot in my life can compare with the amount of flesh that the average person eats when they go to a steakhouse. I think that it's like refusing to eat something that is made on an assembly line next to a non-vegan item that may contain traces of milk. It's almost negligible.

Kodak is actively working to make a vegan film stock though. They tried using synthetic gelatin, but it doesn't last and the film quality degrades very quickly. In addition, the dyes in the film tend to run. They're working on it, but its going to take a while for them to perfect it.

If you're that worried about a trace of gelatin as to abandon film, just think about all of the insects that are stuck to your windshield.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:31 PM   #7
Registered Member

Slr = $$$

SLRs are way expensive. Before Christmas I shopped around and considered a digi-SLR with the changeable lenses, but I settled something more like an "Advanced Point-and-Shoot" model, which is one-step below SLR. I ended up with the Canon Digital Elph (7.1 megapixels) that has an "easy" button, or you can go full-manual. Good low-light functionality and especially with a tripod, you can't take a bad pic.

A used Canon SLR would be a good buy if you can find one.

RH77
Old 02-13-2007, 06:07 PM   #8
Registered Member

If you are traveling you will be happier with something small but quick...trust me on this. When I went to Greece I would have had major issues trying to "fit in" (ha!) while carting around a superior-but-bulky SLR. At the time I only had a Canon A200 which wasn't tiny but small enough that I could just carry it around in my hand and it was OK. Took forever to focus though which sucked and I missed quite a few shots in dimmer light. The SD600 (Canon Elph, 6.0MP, 3x optical zoom) is a dramatic improvement and a whole lot cheaper than any decent SLR. That's something you can just carry around in your pocket and break out for a quick but high-quality shot whenever you feel like it. Ask for at least a 1GB SD cards to go with it...preferably two so you can have a spare.

Consider how photography should fit into the whole experience and it makes sense to go small now and hold off on the SLR.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:23 PM   #9
*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete86 View Post
Yeah. I'm just really into photography. Besides, I don't think that the tiny bit of gelatin in all of the film I've shot in my life can compare with the amount of flesh that the average person eats when they go to a steakhouse. I think that it's like refusing to eat something that is made on an assembly line next to a non-vegan item that may contain traces of milk. It's almost negligible.

Kodak is actively working to make a vegan film stock though. They tried using synthetic gelatin, but it doesn't last and the film quality degrades very quickly. In addition, the dyes in the film tend to run. They're working on it, but its going to take a while for them to perfect it.

If you're that worried about a trace of gelatin as to abandon film, just think about all of the insects that are stuck to your windshield.
I didn't ask to be criticized, your opinion is noted.

To everyone else, thank you for the advice, I will think about an elph, somewhat busy at the moment with homework and all, but hopefully soon I'll pop back with more questions!
Old 02-13-2007, 06:36 PM   #10
Registered Member

I'm sorry if it sounded like I was criticizing you. That wasn't my intention.

Closed Thread