DIY greenhouse: How do I connect and seal the windows? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2009, 11:59 AM   #21
Registered Member

How big are you thinking anyway?

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:03 PM   #22
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
However big will use up my material. I envisioned something quite large, freestanding in the middle of my backyard but really it could be a lot smaller. I guess if it's relatively small then its affect on the house's heating/cooling won't be an issue.

I think my vision was probably like 12x20 or so, which would probably be huge and way more than anything my wife could use. I do want it to be large enough for her to go in there with a chaise lounge and relax. Maybe I should make it 8x10 or so.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:21 PM   #23
Registered Member

I have an 8x12 shed that's solid enough that it doesn't really warp when it frost heaves. Goes up as one unit, then sinks back down as one. Just have it on blocks. Obviously if it's attached to the house that's not an option!

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 05-28-2009, 03:39 PM   #24
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Actually, if it's attached to the house, I could almost hang it off the house and let it float over the ground...
Old 05-28-2009, 04:28 PM   #25
Registered Member

8' overhang? Wow. Maybe with some cables or chains (could be buried in the wall)? Sure, I guess, as long as you've got something firm to anchor to and your supports are sized accordingly. Get more heat loss through the floor that way.

co de pen den cy

Old 06-16-2009, 12:33 AM   #26
Registered Member

Have you considered making row-sized covers rather than a walk in greenhouse? No idea what these are called, but I know they exist. If you're going to have venting panels anyway they could also be used for access. Generally they use an A frame pattern for construction. Just seems a lot easier to build. Can't second as a sun room, alas, which you mentioned you were hoping for.

co de pen den cy

Old 06-16-2009, 08:51 AM   #27
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
No matter which way you do it hanging it off the house is gonna get ugly. I wouldn't recommend attaching it to the house with a hard system, maybe build it against the house but don't attach it. Your house has had a few years to settle and the new addition hasn't.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:47 AM   #28
Registered Member

I just realized that old windows are perfect for row covers! Assuming an A-frame approach, the window provides direct venting access and either the top or bottom (or both) can be slid as needed. Nifty. Don't even need glass for the north side, in theory.

co de pen den cy

Old 06-16-2009, 03:46 PM   #29
Registered Member

I want to build a walk-in, because the wife would definitely enjoy a place to relax. I can be sure of that; I can only guess if she will continue to enjoy growing stuff or if that will fade. That's the sort of thing that she'll get an itch to do, do for a while, then forget about it. I do that too, we're a good match with our equally short attention spans. How I've managed to stick with hypermiling this long, I have no idea.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:00 PM   #30
Registered Member

That's cool. You might still be able to integrate the assembled windows into the design, though. Might look a little funny, but it'd be an easy way to get your venting.

co de pen den cy