DIY line-in project done... finally - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2009, 03:07 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
I put an inline FM modulator on The Beast and on The Big White Hooptie. They cost about $20 for the kits @ Amazon.com and I've been very pleased with them. Install took about 20 minutes on The Beast, and about 5 minutes on The Hooptie. (I already knew the best way to tear that dash apart quickly - Adavantage of almost 20 years of ownership).

-Jay
interesting... i can get the the chevettes in about 5 seconds (lol not much hiding stuff but the radio can be tricky to remove)

can you recommend a kit off amazon? im interested in this.

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:33 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
For $100 at WalMart you can get a stereo that plays mp3 dvds, has an aux-in, and has a detachable face, if you're not worried about someone breaking in for a faceless stereo of unknown value (or you can leave the face on so they'll know that it's a generic unit).

Old 03-23-2009, 03:55 PM   #13
Site Team / Moderator

I've never taken a Chevette dash apart, but I can have the Radio out in the 81 Regal in about 2 minutes. Only 4 screws hold it in once you get the trim piece off. In my 86 Chevy truck its a 5 minute job. Only 3 bolts hold in the radio, but about a dozen screws hold the trim piece in front of it, and the a/c duct needs to be removed to pull the radio out. On my 98 K1500 I had to remove the snap on trim piece (without breaking it - takes some time) then the radio just slid right out. Took 10 minutes the first time I did it, but now I think I can cut that to maybe 3 minutes.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:11 PM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
On the 2002 K1500, you can violently tear the dash bezel off and nothing breaks, as long as you lower the steering wheel and shift into '1'. Then slide the stereo out. I could have it out in under a minute carefully, or 30 seconds recklessly.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:23 PM   #15
Site Team / Moderator

Maybe I can violently tear it off, but I really don't want to risk breaking it, so I spend a few more seconds making sure I do it carefully. Now, If I was trying to steal the stereo I could probably have it out & be gone in under 30 seconds.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:49 PM   #16
Registered Member

yea i had a radio with aux in cd player and all but didnt really "fit" with the car, so i went to the junkyard and upgraded from the origional AM only mono speaker sound system it had before to a Am/FM radio with stereo speakers!

lol i already have a spare nice radio sitting at home i could use but just dont wanna
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:22 AM   #17
Registered Member

Got my new camera and was able to take a picture of my line in setup. It's specifically designed around the ipod shuffle and it can be operated by touch while driving very easily. My radio has a line in jack so it's very straightforward. The ipod mount is just a rectangle of plastic I rounded the corners on, attached with some standoffs. The ipod just clips to it. I want to put some better screws on there at some point. Normally I just play things via SD card as my radio can accept them, but if I'm listening to long podcasts and I want to continue them when I go shopping or whatever I use the ipod inline jack.

Annoyingly, my radio doesn't keep track of where in a track you left off, just which one, so it's very unsuitable for podcasts. I wrote a script to cut all my podcasts into one minute pieces. That way I never need to repeat more than that. I find I tend to wait in the car for the current slice to finish before turning the key all the way off.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote