Do you wear glasses? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

View Poll Results: Do you use eye correction?
Contact lenses 5 22.73%
Glasses 12 54.55%
Bifocals 2 9.09%
Laser surgery 0 0%
Monocle 1 4.55%
No glasses 5 22.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
Registered Member

Do you wear glasses?

Thanks to The Holy Cow for fixing my poll options screwup: no choice for no glasses and misspelled monocle.

I was just wondering. I am pretty seriously near sighted. While my vision should get better as I age (now that I've stopped growing), it won't do so very much. I am a pretty good candidate for laser corrective surgery, but I kind of like the protection that glasses afford and also think I look better with them.

After I read a positive Wall Street Journal review I got my current pair from $39 Dollar Glasses.com. They came quickly, fit extremely well, and are of good quality. Came with a nice hard case too. I looked online and found a coupon for 10% off, which basically canceled the shipping. There's one for $28 too, but I haven't tried them. Always annoyed me that the sunglasses at the drug store seemed to have frames about as good as my expensive prescription glasses. Guess I wasn't crazy after all.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:12 AM   #2

I've got astigmatism... I normally just wear my glasses when I drive.

Ratman667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:20 AM   #3
Registered Member

I have a friend who had cataracts in both eyes. Rather than have one set to a near focus and one to far (apparently a common choice), he opted for both set to driving distance, then just wears reading glasses.

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 04-16-2009, 12:29 PM   #4
Site Team / Moderator

I got that, and some other stuff. One eye isn't even correctable, so I rely on my good eye.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:44 PM   #5
Registered Member

i got astigmatism and near-sighted too. i've been wearing glasses since i was in grade 6 i think....so that was what....over 15 years ago??

going to go under the laser one day for sure. i HATE glasses!
Old 04-16-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
Registered Member

I was 12. My father took me on a trip to England and noticed I couldn't see some stuff in the distance.

co de pen den cy

Old 04-16-2009, 02:30 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Monicle baby! Yeah! haha. Yeah I don't wear glasses. I used to but my eyes grew out of the astigmatism.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:44 PM   #8
Site Team / Moderator

I've been wearing glasses since 10th grade, but only in the last 5 years has my left eye been uncorrectable.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:13 PM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
My eyes have always been really great, very sharp image. My parents needed glasses in their forties. I still have 20-20, but definitely not the super-sharp vision I used to have, so I guess I'm headed that way. All those years of staring at computer monitors all the time, since I was ~8 years old, may finally be taking a toll.

I hope I never need glasses. As is, I can't wear sunglasses, the nose part gives me a headache.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:35 AM   #10
Registered Member

I guess pince-nez are right out then. My ex had such a tiny nose that her glasses wouldn't stay on. Got ear hooks eventually.

I've had several optometrists advise me than not wearing sunglasses on bright days is really tough on your eyesight. In the car I wear big wraparound shades that fit over my normal glasses. Looks like I came straight from cataract surgery. I have blue eyes, which I've heard may have more light sensitivity than brown (wonder if that's true?).

I've used a computer since I was 7, but read a lot starting even younger, so combined with my genetics (everyone in my family has glasses), it was pretty much a foregone conclusion.

co de pen den cy