Driving Less Saves Gas - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2006, 06:41 PM   #1
Registered Member

Driving Less Saves Gas

I stumbled across this site on the internet. There are several intersting articals. He basically belives the suburbs are bad, cars are bad in the city, public transit is good in the city, walking/biking is good. This is the original article.

http://www.walkablestreets.com/mpglifestyle.htm

And the homepage

www.walkablestreets.com/

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 08:01 PM   #2
Driving on E

Nice article. It seems that

Nice article. It seems that this article is written about my wife and myself during the spring/summer/part of fall. During that time period, we only drive if it's more than 5 miles or so. She rides her bike to work, I work at home. We ride to the grocery store, to go to the mall, the movie rental place, etc.

As you can see from my gaslog, I've only filled up my gas tank 6 times since October, and 2 of those times were driving to Vegas and back.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 09:12 PM   #3
Registered Member

Yeah matt I don't think you

Yeah matt I don't think you need to cut back. I think i am doing good.

I went from one tank a week to one tank 10-14 days.

Old 02-09-2006, 04:42 AM   #4

At my worst I drive over 700

At my worst I drive over 700 miles per week, or a tank every 3 days.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 04:42 AM   #5

At my worst I drive over 700

*damn double post*
Old 02-09-2006, 04:42 AM   #6
Registered Member

If I really try I can make a

If I really try I can make a tank last 3 weeks. If I quit my job I can probably make my tank last 6-8 weeks.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 07:45 AM   #7
Registered Member

Urban Sprawl

Kansas City has one of the worst urban sprawl problems, and I admit that I'm guilty for buying a house on the "edge of town", but it's closer to my wife's work (and I work at home or go the airport, which is 52 miles away, twice a week). I tried riding my bike to the post office the other day and about froze my balls off (didn't think it was that cold until I got halfway there) -- I won't go into details, but yes, right now there's only a few places I can bike to, otherwise it's a 10-minute drive. Fortunately, they're building more necessities nearby, so I won't have to drive as far.

I've been pushing local lawmakers to get a light rail system up-and-running, at least to the airport -- but it gets voted-down almost yearly. It's the NIMBYs that get all bent out of shape. Meanwhile, they add more lanes to the Interstate...

RH77
Old 02-09-2006, 08:34 AM   #8
Driving on E

Re: Urban Sprawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
I've been pushing local lawmakers to get a light rail system up-and-running, at least to the airport -- but it gets voted-down almost yearly. It's the NIMBYs that get all bent out of shape. Meanwhile, they add more lanes to the Interstate...
We're facing the same problem here in Salt Lake City. They are considering widening the I-15 to accomodate for more traffic from the south and north. Apparently people from an hour in either direction regularly work in Salt Lake City. They think the solution is to widen the roads, but this is just a band-aid.

Widening the roads just encourages more urban sprawl, which will cause the roads to be widened again, and so on. The real solution is to add realistic transportation options, such as Park and Ride lots where you can park your car in a massive parking lot and then take a train to the heart of the city.

Another option is to build UPWARDS instead of OUTWARDS. Sky rise apartments and condos keep people in the city, which reduces smog and the need to commute to work or even own a car.

The first time I ever experienced public transportation was in the Philippines, where only the rich had their own cars. We road around in vehicles called "jeepneys," which look like this:

They would fit between 20 and 30 people. usually a few people were hanging off of the back, which was EXTREMELY fun, albeit very dangerous.

We also rode around in "trikes," which are just motorcycles with sidecars.

Those could fit up to 10 people. two behind the driver, three (or four) inside the cab, and the rest hanging off the trike in various spots. That was fun, until we ended up going around 100km/h, which was just scary as hell.

Finally there was the LRT and the MRT, the Light Rail system in Manila. I only used it a few times during my original 2 year stint in the Philippines, but when I went back to visit for two weeks I was on it constantly. It was a life saver.

(LRT is above in that photo)

The purpose for my little trip down memory lane is this: Necessity breeds innovation. In Manila people have little income, so innovation makes up for it and offers VERY affordable public transportation (I could ride 20+ miles for much under a dollar). As a result the markets move towards the people. Every neighborhood had a dozen "tiendahans," or little stores. Within walking distance was an open air market.

I say the long term solution is to bring the stores close to the people. People won't drive if they can walk 5 minutes and be at the store, or take cheap public transit to work.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:49 AM   #9
Registered Member

Those are some stylish

Those are some stylish looking buses.

Old 02-09-2006, 09:01 AM   #10

Re: Those are some stylish

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickflipjr
Those are some stylish looking buses.
Featured on "Pimp my Jeepney"