Earth Hour? Got Something Better... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-20-2011, 08:52 AM   #1
Registered Member

Earth Hour? Got Something Better...

http://www.earthhourus.org/

ok, i actually like the concept, tho it's measurable effectiveness besides the "awareness" factor is quite minimal. i suggest getting government involved along w/ individuals and corporations.

i'd have earth...HOURS...plural, but do it EVERYDAY, not just one day per year. obviously, one hour, everyday, for every power sucking need is not feasible. so, why not cut half of ALL lights(and nonessential power draws) on the electrical grid for govt and corp properties from 10pm to 4am EVERYDAY? too be included: street lights, interior/exterior building lights, parking lot lights, etc.

irrespective of views on climate change, this could save super amounts of energy and pollution. certainly, not all individuals and families would be able to cut half consumption, but could no doubt find ways reduce their consumption none the less--especially beyond 1 hour per year.

am i the only one that sees this(earth hour) as a futile attempt at accomplishing something...or an idle political tool? if something is to be done, let's do it right!...in the grand scheme of things.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
Registered Member

Re: Earth Hour? Got Something Better...

and locally, what of this 3 years later?...http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=1911

it's obvious that most consumers and govt don't want to change for the better. corp America may have greed, but it has efficiency and is goal oriented...for the long term!

Old 03-20-2011, 02:32 PM   #3
Registered Member

i know the IL state buildings shut the AC or heat off on the weekends already and have for years... also all interior lights (might be a handful for the entre building purposely left on) are off and computers shut down.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
Registered Member

i wish my county and state would do that. just thought of something...they could allow more casual dress during office hours for govt workers and raise the thermostat from 78*F to say 82.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:19 PM   #5
Registered Member

lol state usually doesn't care, just a polo type shirt and clean jeans is good enough. obviously state courts and such require kahkis and a tie at least.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:08 PM   #6
Registered Member

Oooooh, ooooooh, ooooooh.

I can turn off my lights and feel superior to all those people who didn't. Do they have a ribbon?

Like all liberal ideas, this is based on feelings, good intentions, group-think people doing something because 'everybody' is doing it, getting people to sacrifice so there will be plenty to run government, blaming corporations and the rich for consuming all the resources and selfishly taking what rightfully belongs to someone else.
Like all liberal ideas it accomplishes nothing.

Let us remember this is AMERICA!

623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote