Eco Warrior - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-22-2008, 01:08 PM   #1
Team GasMisers5!

Eco Warrior

I had gastroenteritis the other day - got the symptoms under control with various medications, but was feeling iller again at one point. Sitting in a friend's car - they had gone for a walk, and I switched on the air-con, and put the engine on so the air-con works.

I then had the engine/aircon on for about 33% of the time (very hot day, in Summer, in Northern sub-tropical NZ). Some people walked by, and I saw a woman staring into the car. I couldn't figure out why, so just forgot about it.

Anyway, my engine was also on when the people returned!. It was a group of about 4 people, and an older man, about 50 walked by shaking his head! The woman hung back, and came over to speak to me.

So I opened the window slightly, and she started to give me an eco-lecture, 'Just thinking of the environment' 'leaving your engine running' 'so many people leaving their engine running' and so on.

I stopped her, told her she was kind of talking to the wrong person, that I have gastroenteritis, trying to cool down so I don't puke everywhere, and a brief bit about the fact that I actually get better-than-a-prius economy with my old japanese car at home, and that I am building an e-bike. To be honest, she was fine after that, it kind of took the wind out of her sails!

I must confess, I was feeling so sick, that I didn't tell her about gassavers.org

Then they got into their SUV and drove off

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
save the world as long as she doesn't have to give up the little luxuries lol. yea, soccer mom types love to lecture others, they think it makes them better people so they get really depressed when they lose the chance.

mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 06:12 PM   #3
Registered Member

Sounds like she was giving you the old "do as I say, not as I do" lecture!
Old 03-22-2008, 11:57 PM   #4
Team GasMisers5!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cems70 View Post
Sounds like she was giving you the old "do as I say, not as I do" lecture!
I think they were european - maybe germany / dutch or something (couldn't quite place the accent). I think they had good intentions, but a BAD way of going about it, and probably hired the SUV on holiday (it did have 4 people).

The thing is... I CANNOT BELIEVE the driving / waste of fuel / general lack of eco-awareness here in NZ. Also the severe aggression on the roads. Other people from the UK have also noticed it! I hope they don't do that to the wrong person! :S

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:34 PM   #5
Registered Member

I spent 3 months hitchhiking all over both islands in NZ about 10 years ago and was amazed at the agressive driving, and the practice of throwing trash out the window of the car. It was good fun though, I didnt give any lectures, I was young, and just watched wide eyed, and took it all in.
GasSavers_James is offline   Reply With Quote