efficiency of window film? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2008, 09:34 AM   #1
Registered Member

efficiency of window film?

i just bought it from home depot, it works great.

how much of the cold air is blocked on average if the temperature outside is in the 30's or 20's?

civic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:26 AM   #2
Registered Member

The % improvement depends on the window you covered up. If you put it across a single pane window- you have likely halved the heat loss. If it was a poorly fitting single paned window that was drafty, you may have cut heat/air loss through that opening by 80%

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:31 PM   #3
Registered Member

Perhaps my understanding on this topic is lacking, but isn't window film usually used to block HEAT from coming in through a window? I didn't know that it had any use in keeping the cold out. That is why when you decide whether or not to apply window film, you have to calculate if the summer heat that you block from coming into your house is greater than the passive solar that you would gain in the winter. This is the idea behind eletrically-charged switch-enabled windows that allow you to change them from tinted to non-tinted at your whim.
Erdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:38 PM   #4
Registered Member

well its a very old apartment, maybe 50+ years old. before the film, i can feel cold air slowly comin in when i put my hand next to the opening.

now there is no wind, only the plastic film getting bigger from the wind thats coming in
civic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:33 AM   #5
Tofuball

I recently installed this stuff at a few spots around the house to reduce drafts and the cold air coming off my (incorrectly installed) windows.

One of them, I had to use duct tape to hold it on because the wind kept trying to blow it off!!
Old 01-23-2008, 01:42 AM   #6
Site Team

The insulation benefit actually mostly comes from the air trapped between the film and the glass. The film itself doesn't slow much heat loss since it is so thin.

-BC
Old 01-23-2008, 06:12 AM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdrick View Post
Perhaps my understanding on this topic is lacking, but isn't window film usually used to block HEAT from coming in through a window?
Different film. we're talking about the plastic that you double-side tape to the frame to keep drafts out in winter. the summer film is usually a partially reflective thing to keep direct sunlight out and does help some.

the winter film greatly depends on the window you're putting it on, as said above. My house benefits greatly because it's about a million years old with original ill-fitting single panel windows.
mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:51 AM   #8
Registered Member

Ah , thanks for the information there kamesama980.

I was thinking the same as Erdrick.

Pete.
GasSavers_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:07 PM   #9
Registered Member

Yeh the actual R-rating of the film is like 0.80 or something, hardly worth it if your house is already well-insulated. It does, however, make a double pane window kinda triple pane, like was said, the air that is trapped now there is an extra layer.

But I myself find it most useful to seal up drafty doors or windows (that aren't used), I couldn't tell you what the actual R-rating is for that because it varies with the draft but what I do know is it helps a lot more this way.

Cheap, too, easy to DIY.
Lasts about 2 years if done right and you don't fool with it, does have to be replaced eventually but I like that silly product.