Filtered or unfiltered beer? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Filtered or unfiltered?
Filtered 1 14.29%
Unfiltered 4 57.14%
Who cares 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2009, 01:43 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Filtered or unfiltered beer?

I've got a lot of friends that hate unfiltered beer and was wondering what you guys thought.

I'll occasionally drink a dark filtered beer but I find that I prefer unfiltered either dark or light depending on the occasion and my mood.

I'm also the only one of us that drinks Guinness.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
Registered Member

Ever had homebrew? That is unfiltered at its best. When I made my own, I had to carefully pour to keep the debris at the bottom of the bottle from pouring into the glass. Worked pretty good. So was the beer.

Guinness is very good. Only thing I don't like about it is paying for it.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:00 AM   #3
Registered Member

Unfiltered in some beers is the norm, I mean Spaten has an unfiltered beer, its cloudy, kind of like pale orange juice, not so appetizing, but tastes good. If you caught the show the other day on Modern Marvels, they did Brewing and its history. 15% of all beer sold in the world is Budwieser, of that the most consumed beer is Bud Light. For me its over carbonated and lacks flavor. A friend of mine swears by the Silver Bullet.

My favorite drinking beers: Yeung Ling, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Corona, Guiness, Bass and C pale ale, Sol from Mexico if you can find it. I used to be a fan of Sierra Nevada Celebration ale, in the 90's it was great, had yeast in the bottom, then around 2000, it lost character and taste. Stella Artois, nasty, thats like the person that buys a Maybach and should have bought a Rolls instead.

Played around with all sorts of micro brews, 2 of my friends went to Brew Buddies and bought a 5 gallon kit and turned out some excellent plae ale and outstanding dark. I mean it was good beer, like food. They used syrup, meaning instead of toasting hops and barley, the extract comes in a syrup, you get your wert going and dump in the syrup. This made excellent beer, makes we want to get out the barrels and start brewing.

I just saw this thing called a Hops Pump, its a filter packed with hops, you push beer through it and it adds flavor. The last time I had Pumped beer was in Huntington Beach California at the Surf City Brewery, don't know of its there anymore, they made some great Pumped beers that were almost tropical.

Flavor and low carbonation is what makes a beer for me.
GasSavers_Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:08 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I used to give that much attention to beer. It was a big deal to me, I wanted to find the beer that I liked best.

Eventually I realized that I had turned it into work. I worked at finding beers, I worked at tasting beers, I worked at drinking beers. I decided that was not what I wanted from beer, so I retired from the whole thing. It's great for people who want it as a hobby but I'm just thirsty.

Now I drink beers that taste good with a burger and/or quench my thirst; and they must be easy, not work. I like a lager or pilsener with lots of carbonation and I like a flavor that reminds me of bread. I'd guess that most of what I drink is filtered.

Brands I drink:
I don't like Bud, Bud Light, Coors Light, and Miller Lite but I drink them when presented with one. Miller Genuine Draft is probably my favorite now but it's hard to find in stores and 100% absent from restaurants. It's got a nice flavor and is always consistent. Michelob (not light) is similar. Michelob Ultra, Miller High Life, and Corona are pleasant beverages and available everywhere. I like Labatt's Blue, Moosehead, and various Molson products. I like almost any brand of amber bock. Getting more ethnic, Tecate and Tsing Tao are decent. Stella Artois is ok. Are any of those unfiltered?

I absolutely hate every Sam Adams product I've ever tasted, it's got some aftertaste that I can't stand.

Edit: How can I forget Heinekein, Warsteiner, and Amstel Light? Warsteiner is great.

Edit again: I should print this post so I can remember what I like when I'm at a restaurant that doesn't have whichever one I manage to remember at the time...
Old 10-13-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I used to give that much attention to beer. It was a big deal to me, I wanted to find the beer that I liked best.

Eventually I realized that I had turned it into work. I worked at finding beers, I worked at tasting beers, I worked at drinking beers. I decided that was not what I wanted from beer, so I retired from the whole thing. It's great for people who want it as a hobby but I'm just thirsty.

Now I drink beers that taste good with a burger and/or quench my thirst; and they must be easy, not work. I like a lager or pilsener with lots of carbonation and I like a flavor that reminds me of bread. I'd guess that most of what I drink is filtered.

Brands I drink:
I don't like Bud, Bud Light, Coors Light, and Miller Lite but I drink them when presented with one. Miller Genuine Draft is probably my favorite now but it's hard to find in stores and 100% absent from restaurants. It's got a nice flavor and is always consistent. Michelob (not light) is similar. Michelob Ultra, Miller High Life, and Corona are pleasant beverages and available everywhere. I like Labatt's Blue, Moosehead, and various Molson products. I like almost any brand of amber bock. Getting more ethnic, Tecate and Tsing Tao are decent. Stella Artois is ok. Are any of those unfiltered?

I absolutely hate every Sam Adams product I've ever tasted, it's got some aftertaste that I can't stand.

Edit: How can I forget Heinekein, Warsteiner, and Amstel Light? Warsteiner is great.

Edit again: I should print this post so I can remember what I like when I'm at a restaurant that doesn't have whichever one I manage to remember at the time...
were almost the opposite...

i like bud products (besides bud lime and bud wheat) dont like miller all that much, will drink it if its free to me tho lol. love coors, hate MGD, hate michelob, corona is soso for me. I do like dos equis thats pretty good. I love every canadian beer ive ever drank, moosehead tastes ok if its very cold but reeks like piss. amberbock is good, blue moon is great, heiniken and fosters are really good. most stuff by leinenkugals i like and sam adams. stella atros is downright nasty

i think ive had a warsteiner, wasnt bad wasnt good just beer lol. didnt like amstel light tho...

one of the good dark beers ive had is old no 38. its dark yet smooth.

i like dundee honey brown and dundee pale ale.

i HATE IPA beers...dunno what it is...

i tried an oktoberfest and wasnt impressed, pumpkin beer doesnt sound good at all to me...

in the land of cheap beer i like PBR and keystone (its same as coors just non union) rolling rock is one of my favs
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:55 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I agree about Moosehead needing to be cold and its pissness.

I'm not a fan of Honey Brown. It's watery and syrupy to me IIRC.

As for ultra-cheap beer...Genesee.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:09 PM   #7
Registered Member

havent heard of that cheap brand cow.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:11 PM   #8
Registered Member

The first time you have it, it tastes like Bud Light. After you have a few it tastes like diluted piss.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:42 PM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Gross. I've given barley wine a couple of tries but every time I can't help but think I'm drinking liquid soap. No lack of flavor there.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:25 PM   #10
Registered Member

I can't say I've had unfiltered, but as something of a budding beer enthusiast, I'd love to try it.

ATM my favs are Old Rasputin from North Coast Brewing Co. (restored my faith in stouts after Guinness), Stiegl (an Austrian brew that's nearly impossible to get on this side of the pond), and Leinenkugel wheat beer. As a side note, I have not yet been disappointed by anything the North Coast Brewing Company makes...

For more of a drinking beer I can expect to get at a restaurant, I like Dos Equis Amber, it seems to be pretty consistent and convincing, or Blue Moon in the summer.

When I'm on a budget (which is all too frequent), I like Schlitz's unique, almost gingerbread flavour, though I didn't get that from the last case I bought, or Miller High Life, the cheapest stuff you get get in a bottle - the bottle makes all the difference. Keystone can be a refreshing choice, and as mentioned is non-union - probably why it's cheaper.

'09 Harley Nightster - 48mpg and 1/4 miles in the 12's
jcp123 is offline   Reply With Quote