Flywheel Hybrid Cars - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-30-2017, 12:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 105
Country: United States
Flywheel Hybrid Cars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PcIt0FPvWQ

If ICE cars could spin up a flywheel while idling at a stoplight this could add a few more years to their product lifecycle.
__________________

ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:22 PM   #2
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 105
Country: United States
Why don't electric cars use flywheels if they have a virtually infinite energy density?

https://www.quora.com/Why-dont-elect...energy-density
__________________

ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:42 AM   #3
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 128
Country: Ireland
Location: Galway
hmm, that Youtube video is from 2008? Not seen or heard of any flywheel cars recently.

I do remember hearing a long time ago about flywheel technology they were planning on using in buses, so it would be spun up at the bus stop and then the stored energy used to get to the next stop. I think the problem was the weight of the flywheels required and how dangerous they can get when spinning fast.

Wikipedia has a reasonable page on these systems with details on what happens when they go wrong.

Oliver.
__________________
OliverGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:00 AM   #4
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 105
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverGT View Post
hmm, that Youtube video is from 2008? Not seen or heard of any flywheel cars recently.

I do remember hearing a long time ago about flywheel technology they were planning on using in buses, so it would be spun up at the bus stop and then the stored energy used to get to the next stop. I think the problem was the weight of the flywheels required and how dangerous they can get when spinning fast.

Wikipedia has a reasonable page on these systems with details on what happens when they go wrong.

Oliver.
Oh, yeah. I now remember seeing that about buses.

There's usually a technical solution to a safety problem. For example, you ever accidentally short a standard car battery? You'll nearly weld something to your car. Now, imagine the same short happening with today's EV battery pack! The point I'm trying to make is that flywheel safety issues could have been solved, too.

I'm guessing the investment/market timing for flywheel car tech was never right.

ICE cars could have greatly benefited from spinning up a flywheel when a car is idling at stoplights.
ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:22 AM   #5
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,594
Country: United States
Location: north east PA
The safety solutions add to the weight and cost. The Formula 1 teams there were using flywheels have dropped them for batteries. I don't think potholes were something they had to worry about in terms of getting the tech to consumer cars.

Flywheel failures could likely be described as 'spectacular'. Tesla has shown that battery failures can be contained and controlled to allow the car to pull over and everyone get out.
trollbait is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:07 PM   #6
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 105
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post
The safety solutions add to the weight and cost. The Formula 1 teams there were using flywheels have dropped them for batteries. I don't think potholes were something they had to worry about in terms of getting the tech to consumer cars.

Flywheel failures could likely be described as 'spectacular'. Tesla has shown that battery failures can be contained and controlled to allow the car to pull over and everyone get out.
That's most interesting. If F1 design engineers eschewed flywheels for batteries, assuming BOTH were allowed equally, thiss says a lot about battery tech superiority over flywheels.
ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:09 AM   #7
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,594
Country: United States
Location: north east PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewChewTrain View Post
That's most interesting. If F1 design engineers eschewed flywheels for batteries, assuming BOTH were allowed equally, thiss says a lot about battery tech superiority over flywheels.
F1 rules might have played a role, I know that they detailed the size of the KERS(kinetic energy recovery system) and how much energy could be recaptured in a lap or some such.

Another factor for flywheels on cars is that you need two spinning in opposite directions in order to negate any affect on handling and braking.
trollbait is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:30 AM   #8
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,264
Country: United States
Location: up nawth
When is the last time F1 technology moved directly to the worldwide transportation environment?

Hydraulic accumulators peak efficiency? 99%. Heard of any accumulator failures bringing down an aircraft?

NASA flywheel battery uses composites (explosive failure is a non event), survives 6g acceleration forces, holds 98% of a charge for 6 months and can discharge its energy in a small fraction of the time required by a chemical battery.

If you have ever messed with a flywheel you might understand the dynamics better. Every wheel on your car is a flywheel.
__________________
R.I.D.E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:32 AM   #9
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,264
Country: United States
Location: up nawth
10 KWH flywheel battery the size of a gallon paint can?
__________________
R.I.D.E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 05:11 AM   #10
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,594
Country: United States
Location: north east PA
And how much does the flywheel NASA has cost?
__________________

trollbait is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Fuelly iOS Apps
» Fuelly Android Apps
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.