Ford scrappage scheme. - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-02-2017, 04:21 PM   #31
Registered Member

Takes perfectly decent used vehicles off the market, driving up prices for used vehicles. Sure, fuel efficient vehicles seems directly affected, but with an overall shrunken supply of used vehicles, prices will necessarily rise. It becomes regressive when all is said and done.

Old 09-02-2017, 05:27 PM   #32
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewChewTrain View Post
"LIKELY" get over 60mpg? Nope. A simple vehicle research on Fuelly proves your statement nonsense.
My statement was in the basis of what you would get.

The 2016 Prius will return around 75mpg at steady speeds of your 53mph limit.
Steady State Speed vs Fuel Economy results | Page 8 | CleanMPG

Your near 47mpg average in the Civic puts you at the top of the filtered results here. 1989 Honda Civic MPG - Actual MPG from 42 1989 Honda Civic owners So you getting near the top of 2016 Prius results isn't too much of a stretch.2016 Toyota Prius MPG - Actual MPG from 231 2016 Toyota Prius owners

Looking at the EPA numbers for both cars, you are getting over 150% of the combined value in the Civic. Getting over 70mpg in a Prius is likely possible for you.
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find...=5389&id=37163

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 11:57 PM   #33
Registered Member

And Doug, using your "techniques" or driving style, you'd likely get over 100 UK MPG in the Civic diesel like these guys did, not just on a "trip" but over 8000 miles and 24 countries. Very impressive.

deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2<\/title><path d="M10,3.5l3-3,3,3Z" style="fill:%23fff;stroke:%23fff"/><path d="M0,3.5H10l3-3,3,3H26" style="fill:none;stroke:%231b3a4d"/><\/svg>')}.f_branding_on.blog-group-deadspin .editor-inner.post-content .pu

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:37 AM   #34
Registered Member

A few more, Peugeot, Citroen, DS, Mazda, Suzuki, they must be desperate to sell cars now.

Peugeot Citroen DS Mazda and Suzuki start scrappage schemes | Next Green Car

Old 09-08-2017, 02:00 PM   #35
Registered Member

Picked up a 2001 Toyota Echo today for $850. 16 years old and still capable of great mileage if driven properly, low 50s US-60 Brit. Just under 200k miles, right quarter banged up in front of the wheel well. Needs right outer CV boot, right rear shock and some other minor things. Undercarriage looks like new, engine compartment dry, no leaks, amazing for a 17 year old car. Tires are new, drives good with a little bunny hop for a clutch disc swap, probably a cheap disc.

Manual steering, factory air, probably needs a little juice.

I had one before, without AC and there was no way to practically add an AC after market.

Made in Japan.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:01 PM   #36
LDB
Registered Member

There will be many dozens of thousands of cars scrapped around here. They take them out by the truckload. Florida will likely soon follow suit.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:52 PM   #37
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. View Post
Picked up a 2001 Toyota Echo today for $850. 16 years old and still capable of great mileage if driven properly, low 50s US-60 Brit. Just under 200k miles, right quarter banged up in front of the wheel well. Needs right outer CV boot, right rear shock and some other minor things. Undercarriage looks like new, engine compartment dry, no leaks, amazing for a 17 year old car. Tires are new, drives good with a little bunny hop for a clutch disc swap, probably a cheap disc.

I had one before, without AC and there was no way to practically add an AC after market.

Made in Japan.
From one former Echo owner to another - you'll do fine with that car
Old 09-11-2017, 01:53 PM   #38
Registered Member

What's not clear is if the cars traded in have to be scrapped as per the old scheme. My mums car has just 21,000 miles on it, not worth much, but it could be a good time to buy a new car. Would be a shame to scrap a car that's almost like new though.

Old 09-12-2017, 03:25 PM   #39
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. View Post

Made in Japan.
Clutch is fine, just sitting for a while, engagement point is just off the floor-non adjustable, just like a new one, talk about luck!. Seller delivered it to my house today. He was going to the DC area to pick up a Van 4x4 conversion project. Saved me almost 200 miles driving. Numerous stains and animal hair. Time for the simple green treatment followed up with a scrub brush and shop vac. Tossed some Techron in the tank to clean the injectors, should kill the CEL for rolling misfire, feels fine to me now. I might even transfer the tags from the Mirage and give it a rest for a few months.

Scrap a car with 21k miles? This one has ten times that and will run just like it did when it rolled off the showroom floor very soon.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:31 PM   #40
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
There will be many dozens of thousands of cars scrapped around here. They take them out by the truckload. Florida will likely soon follow suit.
And some felon will find a way to sell them to unsuspecting buyers as they have always done. I remember a 72 Barracuda in water up to 6 inches from the top of the roof, brand new car, never sold. Those parts may still be "floating around", 44 years later