got pulled over - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-27-2007, 02:06 PM   #1
Registered Member

got pulled over

On my way home from work today, I looked over and saw a state cop in the lane behind and next to me. I've never had one behind me yet. He slowed and fell in behind me turned on his lights . He said he pulled me over because I didn't have a ds mirror, then he noticed my inner one. He thought it needed to be external but didn't know if mine wasn't legal. He didn't ticket me, but suggested I get an exterior one so i don't get pulled over by other cops. He seemed cool. He didn't ask about anything else with my car (surprisingly), he seemed in a hurry so I didn't tell either. I'm not sure what I'll do. I'll have to buy something because my factory one is broken.

jwxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 02:17 PM   #2
Supporting Member

jwxr7 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwxr7 View Post
On my way home from work today, I looked over and saw a state cop in the lane behind and next to me. I've never had one behind me yet. He slowed and fell in behind me turned on his lights . He said he pulled me over because I didn't have a ds mirror, then he noticed my inner one. He thought it needed to be external but didn't know if mine wasn't legal. He didn't ticket me, but suggested I get an exterior one so i don't get pulled over by other cops. He seemed cool. He didn't ask about anything else with my car (surprisingly), he seemed in a hurry so I didn't tell either. I'm not sure what I'll do. I'll have to buy something because my factory one is broken.
Just get the smallest motorcycle mirror you can. That has most of the same characteristics of the expensive racing mirrors. That'll keep the cop happy and you can still have a convex mirror inside the car for more rear-view info.

If he were to ticket you, it should only be a fix-it ticket.

Glad you got a cool cop and no ticket!

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 02:46 PM   #3
Registered Member

It is illegal in Michigan.

"...all motor vehicles shall be equipped with an outside rearview mirror on the driver's side which shall be positioned to give the driver a rearviewing angle from the driver's side of the vehicle..." emphasis added

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(gvv...me=mcl-257-708

Good idea with the tiny mirror, I never thought about that. I'm still trying to find out what mirrors I legally nead (NY laws are way too confusing). I can't find anything saying that blocking the rear is illegal either (boattail!)
Old 07-27-2007, 03:01 PM   #4
Registered Member

just look on ebay. i know for my s-10 i can get some weird funky looking"m3" styled mirrors(very aerodynamic id say) for my truck for $30 a PAIR. depends on what car you have there might be some cheapo aftermarket version around.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 03:13 PM   #5
ELF
Registered Member

Also check out some motorcycle mirrors, they are small, Maybe somewhat of a challenge to mount though.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:12 PM   #6
Registered Member

1" Dental Mirror

I vote for a 1" Dental mirror. The law doesn't state the size, does it?

Seriously, I can't recall if there's been a discussion about DHOSRVM and placement or size. Older Japanese cars had them mounted on the fender (probably not too aero savvy), but perhaps somewhere other than stock...

Sorry you got pulled over -- same thing for me this year ended up with a front-plate addition, and thankfully a warning. That was my aero mod So much for that

-Rick
Old 07-27-2007, 04:54 PM   #7
Supporting Member

i hate when that happens at least he was cool about it tho
Old 07-27-2007, 06:48 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
. Older Japanese cars had them mounted on the fender (probably not too aero savvy), but perhaps somewhere other than stock...

-Rick
Heck, a lot of cars had them there. Wing mirrors rule!!!!!!!!!

Well, maybe not on a Metro.

Go to the local boneyard and spend $5 and get one.

When I had my Metro, I almost got a pair of Swift mirrors, MUCH nicer than the Geo units. Sold the car instead.

-Emil Faber
Spule 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 07:41 AM   #9
Registered Member

A folding "flag" style Swift mirror is what's on my car. Compromise over the fixed mirrors that came on the Metros.

I can't tell you how many times I've deployed it from the folded position when I've spotted a police car.

Happy to hear you weren't ticketed though.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 09:15 AM   #10
Registered Member

Would that be considered a moving violation? I already got one for speeding, and a second would cost thousands more for insurance over the next 3 years. I want to try some mods, but it's not worth risking $$$$.