Hatchbacks - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-10-2011, 04:40 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Re: Hatchbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
what year of fleetwood? haha i highyl dowbt the little 240 could hold as much as the 80's land yacht with a 4 foot trunk haha
Agreed. I had a 2008 VW Rabbit hatchback and now drive a 1980 Buick LeSabre. I can fit twice as much stuff in the Buick's trunk as I could fit in the entire Rabbit, and I'm not exaggerating. Other MKV Rabbit owners rave about how cavernous the storage is in the car...I guess I'm spoiled.

I sometimes buy a whole lot of groceries, as well as non-grocery stuff, in one trip. The VW would be piled up as high as I could pile it without stuff falling out as I load it. I'd fold the seats down and fill the back, then I'd put stuff in the front passenger seat. All that stuff fits in the Buick's trunk without any effort and there's still space for more.

A couch would hang a few feet out the back of that VW hatchback. It would be difficult to load into the Buick's trunk at all. Surely it would fit better in a wagon, though I'd still be driving with the hatch open and funneling exhaust into the passenger compartment (unless we're talking old-school full size wagons).

When my truck had bad gas I had to bring home some cans of gas. Man it sure was scary (and illegal) bringing them home in the hatchback. A trunk would have been nice.

When I'm carrying something heavy that I don't want to put on the wet ground, I appreciate being able to rest it on the bumper while I open the trunk lid...doesn't work with a hatch.

A hatchback does work better for some loads, and it definitely works better for some people, but I sure can fit a lot more groceries in my Buick's trunk.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:32 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
what year of fleetwood? haha i highyl dowbt the little 240 could hold as much as the 80's land yacht with a 4 foot trunk haha
I didn't say 'hold as much' I said it held more a-frame real estate open house signs. They sat flat on the floor of the Nissan and not in the boot of the ka-dill-ick.

623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Agreed. I had a 2008 VW Rabbit hatchback and now drive a 1980 Buick LeSabre. I can fit twice as much stuff in the Buick's trunk as I could fit in the entire Rabbit, and I'm not exaggerating. Other MKV Rabbit owners rave about how cavernous the storage is in the car...I guess I'm spoiled.

I sometimes buy a whole lot of groceries, as well as non-grocery stuff, in one trip. The VW would be piled up as high as I could pile it without stuff falling out as I load it. I'd fold the seats down and fill the back, then I'd put stuff in the front passenger seat. All that stuff fits in the Buick's trunk without any effort and there's still space for more.

A couch would hang a few feet out the back of that VW hatchback. It would be difficult to load into the Buick's trunk at all. Surely it would fit better in a wagon, though I'd still be driving with the hatch open and funneling exhaust into the passenger compartment (unless we're talking old-school full size wagons).

When my truck had bad gas I had to bring home some cans of gas. Man it sure was scary (and illegal) bringing them home in the hatchback. A trunk would have been nice.

When I'm carrying something heavy that I don't want to put on the wet ground, I appreciate being able to rest it on the bumper while I open the trunk lid...doesn't work with a hatch.

A hatchback does work better for some loads, and it definitely works better for some people, but I sure can fit a lot more groceries in my Buick's trunk.
This is true. However, the Buick would have even more space if it was a wagon and not a coupe/sedan. I guess my point is that with a hatch on the back of almost any vehicle, it becomes a more practical cargo-hauler. Of course,t his is my opinion. There will always be valid counter-arguments, such as the one you brought up about not being able to rest items on the bumper. I will note, though, that I can rest a box on the rear inch or 2 inches on the Civic or Fit and still get the hatch open. I bought the rear bumper applique on the Fit for this reason.

Your truck had bad gas, eh? When that happens to me, my wife makes me sleep downstairs.
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:40 AM   #14
Registered Member

i just love the hatchbacks!! ever since i bought my first chevette back in the 70's (am i that old?) i still love my 86 chevette and have 2 AMC eagle wagon hatchbacks. they are just more easier to cram full of stuff and still carry 5 people. LAZ
twoslowinwyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:04 AM   #15
Registered Member

I drive a 4 door 0ne ton, i can carry quite a bit of crap in the cab. Of course i can throw on the cap and haul even more......oh...hatchback? Sorry..LOL!
dieselmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:02 PM   #16
Registered Member

lol the full size wagons some had the glass that poped open in the back much like the chevy blazers
or had the swing out sideways barn door well rear door.

i still love older capreece wagons
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:43 AM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
lol the full size wagons some had the glass that poped open in the back much like the chevy blazers
or had the swing out sideways barn door well rear door.

i still love older capreece wagons
A buddy of mine has a '94 or '95 Caprice wagon with the LT1 V8. He's slowly turning it into an Impala SS wagon. It has the grille, wheels, exhaust, and numerous suspension upgrades. The interior has Bonneville bucket seats, and it will soon have a Blazer console. It's a sweet ride.
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:38 PM   #18
Registered Member

My Small 2 Door Hatchbacks- I really like them..................
Chevy Vega, never any problems with it. Sold it with 50,000 miles.
VW Rabbit, was a good car, great engine. Sold it with 90,000 miles.
Honda Civic, was a good car, great engine. Sold it with 50,000 miles.
Honda CRX, was a good car, great engine. Sold it with 150,000 miles.
My Toyota Yaris, is a great car, great engine. Has 48,000 miles, and perfect.

GasSavers_roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote