Have you ever participated in a 'Cruise Night' in your city? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2007, 03:45 PM   #11
Registered Member

lol dont come near me then. my trucks got 4 airhorns and my chevette 2. i put them on not so much as i can be heard easier but more of the scare factor... when people hear a louder not so normal car horn noise they tend to pay attention quicker and usualyl do somehting inetelgent... i use them all the time for every little thing too. like if they pull out in front of me and cant figure out how to accelerate when in heavy traffic. with noone in front of them i might add.

i have a question: Saturday i was in walmart parking lot and a few parkign spots ahead of me i saw a kid run accross to go to gamestop (videogame store) that was right next door. i could have sworn i saw another kid runnign behind him a little ways but wasnt sure so i slowly preceded watching everywhere cautiously. he then runs out about a parking space in front of my truck so i was a tad suprised and hit the brakes and hit the horn(4 airhorns) (kind of a natual rection nowadays)for about 2 seconds. he then started crying and ran back to his mom about 2 rows back where he came from and she gave him a nice smack on the butt. lol i thought it was funny but should i have honked? i say i should have because what if i hadent seen him or what if another driver was going faster and distracted? I bet now he will watch both ways before crossing the street tho so i belive i did good...

lol stupid motorcycles dont need straight pipes... if thats the case why dont bycycle riders and small car owners get to have straight pipes or a constant alarm type of thing...

and most sports cars that are extremely low are mid or rear engine and you dont hear any noise untill thier past you...(much like a stealth bomber)

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:25 PM   #12
Registered Member

Same response here theclencher.

I did a lane change the other day and even though I had my signal light on for an eternity and was doing 10km/h past the speed limit to get into the lane, a truck in the lane accelerated towards my rear and honked at me not once, but another time later as if I totally ruined his day. I gave him a little 'brake check' (but not a savage one because the Geo has been pretty good to me) before making a left turn.

One time another truck was tailgating me real bad when I had my red stationwagon. I gave him a moderate 'brake check' just as he was signalling to get into the other lane. He must've been paying attention elsewhere because the next thing I see, the truck swerves to the side, tires squealing and all and makes the lane change just inches from hitting my rear corner.

Tailgating is probably one of the stupidest things a driver can do, ever. It pees off the front driver big time, and one touch of the brake can mean a nice insurance payoff for the one being rear-ended. I always leave large amounts of space in front of me while driving. Even while 'drafting' semis, I'm a good 3 seconds behind them.

Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:55 PM   #13

I do cruise night around here occassionally in my secret gas guzzler (no, not in the garage) but it consists of driving down to "Main Street" and parking with all the other Hot Rods. No cruising and I won't run it hard (street racing) as I have traction problems which makes it too dangerous street or track.

There are plenty of hicks here too. I may be one of them but I don't drink or smoke and I can read. I am one of those freakish hicks - a one off.
BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:01 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
"like if they pull out in front of me and cant figure out how to accelerate when in heavy traffic" - If someone blasts me like that I am perfectly willing to sacrifice my back bumper and I'll slam on the brakes so hard they won't believe it, although I will say I don't pull out unless the "hole" is nice and big.
well i usually dont do it when i only have to engine brake or let off the throttle a bit but im talking extreme cases like pulling out ahead of me when theres only about 2-3 semi lengths between me going 55-60 and you going 15... thats just being idiotic on the person in front of me... especially when i have no cars behind me...
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:08 PM   #15
Supporting Member

I think its something with chevettes that make people pull out in front of you on the highway. I'm not sure if they just don't see me because its a small car or if they think I'm going slow/far away because its tiny. Times like those make me wish i had a horn.
GasSavers_nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:32 PM   #16

I put a nice air horn on my car, sounds just like a freight train. Makes it fun at broken railroad crossings when the lights are stuck on

Air bottle is an old fire extinguisher, pump is from harbor freight and the horn I got off ebay for 65 bucks or so. I think it is a useful addition to help me get better mileage out of my metro.... Well maybe not but it is fun either way
CoyoteX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:19 PM   #17
Supporting Member

VetteOwner -

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post

i have a question: Saturday i was in walmart parking lot and a few parkign spots ahead of me i saw a kid run accross to go to gamestop (videogame store) that was right next door. i could have sworn i saw another kid runnign behind him a little ways but wasnt sure so i slowly preceded watching everywhere cautiously. he then runs out about a parking space in front of my truck so i was a tad suprised and hit the brakes and hit the horn(4 airhorns) (kind of a natual rection nowadays)for about 2 seconds. he then started crying and ran back to his mom about 2 rows back where he came from and she gave him a nice smack on the butt. lol i thought it was funny but should i have honked? i say i should have because what if i hadent seen him or what if another driver was going faster and distracted? I bet now he will watch both ways before crossing the street tho so i belive i did good...

You remind me of one instance where I do honk the horn very deliberately. If a squirrel or cat crosses the road in front of me and I can slow down (not being followed), I'll give the animal some good blasts to scare the daylights out of them.

So, we see kids and squirrels in the same light, .

Everything is context. In the long run, honking the kid is probably for his own good. In a different context, maybe someone nearby could dump their groceries all over the place, pull their back out, or the parent might not be amused.

YC(ontext)MV,

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:28 PM   #18
Supporting Member

Coyote X -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote X View Post
I put a nice air horn on my car, sounds just like a freight train. Makes it fun at broken railroad crossings when the lights are stuck on

(... righteous DIY air horn ...)

Air bottle is an old fire extinguisher, pump is from harbor freight and the horn I got off ebay for 65 bucks or so. I think it is a useful addition to help me get better mileage out of my metro.... Well maybe not but it is fun either way
That's what I call a self-made air horn. I think it's good for MPG because it increases your safety so you can keep the car on the road longer. I wonder if you can get an insurance discount by calling it an "Acoustic safety device"?

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:46 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
lol i thought it was funny but should i have honked? i say i should have because what if i hadent seen him or what if another driver was going faster and distracted? I bet now he will watch both ways before crossing the street tho so i belive i did good...
Ya, you did right. Better a good honking today than head trauma tomorrow. And his Mom did right, too. Too many mommies of today would have just been mad at you for daring to honk at their little prince.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:07 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toecutter View Post
Now if you have no problem ripping off taxpayers of other states and live near these states, you could drive over with a huge bag of cans and turn them in for a $.05 refund on each can in CA, VT, ME, MA, NY, OR, and $.10 refund per can in MI. If I left out any states, sorry, but this is from memory. Personally, I wouldn't do this if I lived close enough to one of these states for this to be viable.
But they can't be crushed so more space is needed for the same number of cans. The bar codes are scanned to determine if the cans are eligible for the refund. Containers purchased in NH (no deposit) are rejected for refund in MA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toecutter View Post
Motorcycles and extremely low sports cars usually need to make a lot of noise so they can be heard on the highway. Many times they are usually not seen, *especially* by large trucks and SUVs. If they are heard, at least the drivers of these vehicles know that they should take caution when changing lanes, unless they want to kill someone.
That's why I've mounted my car's horn to the rear bumper. I've started a petition to have all the ambulances and fire trucks mount their sirens to the rear as well. The rear facing sound is apparently much more effective at projecting the sound in the direction of travel as evidenced by the large number of "loud pipes save lives" crowd.
Try blowing a hand-held mini air horn in their ear and then say "I just saved your life, Dolt!"

Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote