Help me rename my car! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: What should I change my Buick Regal's name to?
The Retro 80s Flashback 2 18.18%
Thunder 3 27.27%
The Big, White Hooptie 6 54.55%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2008, 08:26 AM   #1
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow Help me rename my car!

Well, I thought that calling my Buick "The Buick" was a bit too boring... I then changed it to "The Retro Eighties Flashback". Now I'm thinking like it sounds like a pun on hatchback, of which my Buick is more of an anti-hatchback. I'm open to any & all suggestions. I drive it conservatively, but I have no plans on any serious hypermiling as it is 27 years old and I don't want anything like neutral gliding or EOC to send me into the repair shop. The car is driven mostly for fun.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:35 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
My wife named mine "Christine" when I first got it, because every time she got in it she hit her head on the way in...and I was spending a lot of time on it.

I don't think the "hatchback" issue is anything to be concerned about...if anyone else makes that connection, when they see what it is they'll just laugh.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:49 AM   #3
Site Team

My friends (jokingly?) refer to my car as the "Buke" (because it sounds like "puke").

Try to avoid that one, I've never found it to be very flattering. At least until I remember that they are just jealous because my Buick is so awesome...

-Bob C.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:58 AM   #4
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobc455 View Post
My friends (jokingly?) refer to my car as the "Buke" (because it sounds like "puke").

Try to avoid that one, I've never found it to be very flattering. At least until I remember that they are just jealous because my Buick is so awesome...

-Bob C.
Your Buick sounds really cool... You should put a pic in the garage. I've been threatening to send it to the body shop for paint for the past 10 years now... hasn't happened yet though. I wish I could remember some Buick ad slogans. Something along the lines of "Not your father's Oldsmobile", or "We build excitement... PONTIAC!" would be really cool.

-Jay

Old 08-08-2008, 09:54 AM   #5
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
My wife named mine "Christine" when I first got it, because every time she got in it she hit her head on the way in...and I was spending a lot of time on it.

I don't think the "hatchback" issue is anything to be concerned about...if anyone else makes that connection, when they see what it is they'll just laugh.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I had initially thought "The Retro 80's Experience", but then I remembered I saw a car named "The Metro Experience", and didn't want to rip-off someone else's name. I just figured I'd throw it out there and see what came up.

I still think someone needs to call their car "Not your father's Oldsmobile". That would be so funny, but then again anyone under 25 probably wouldn't get the joke.

-Jay

Old 08-08-2008, 10:55 AM   #6
Registered Member

I might have gone with "Chick Hicks" or "Thunder" or "Ka-chigga" or something along those lines.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:12 AM   #7
Registered Member

I like "THE BIG WHITE HOOPTIE"

I see cars like that all the time with 26" rims and jacked up in the sky about a foot.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:26 AM   #8
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
I might have gone with "Chick Hicks" or "Thunder" or "Ka-chigga" or something along those lines.
Well, I was doing more thinking... and I googled "words that rhyme with regal" and ended up here: http://www.nearrhyme.com/index.jsp?w...&a2sc=i&a2sv=i

Now I'm thinking of something that's somewhat original... How about...

Regal Knievel

???

She's old, and battlescarred. Keeps coming back for more though...

One of my sisters ran it into a ditch avoiding a dog.

I loaned it to my other sister when her car was broken, and she rear-ended someone on the DC Beltway in it.

I've been sideswiped by a Jeep.

I've been rear-ended by a full size pickup (and the pickup was totaled with little damage to my car)

And finally, years ago when I worked midnights I started to fall asleep on my way home a block away from home and ran over my neighbor's mailbox.

I think I'm liking it, but I'm still open to suggestions.

I also thought of The Beagle Regal as a play on the bar on Three's Company (The Regal Beagle) because she's so battlescarred and can be tempermental (yet still loyal) at times - You know like the car is a dog...

-Jay

Old 08-08-2008, 11:39 AM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Another rhyming dictionary:
http://www.rhymezone.com/r/rhyme.cgi...frhyme=perfect

Not a lot of rhymes for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post

I see cars like that all the time with 26" rims and jacked up in the sky about a foot.
Those aren't hoopties, they're donks.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:42 AM   #10
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post

That made me laugh... Its not really white though. Buick called it "Pastel Waxberry". It was originally a very pale pastel yellow, almost cream colored. The digital image is from before digital cameras... I scanned in a picture of the car back in the good old Windows 3.1 days... Since the car has not been waxed in about 12 years, and not washed in 5 or 6 years it does look like a dirty white car though.