high-demand parts? What do you need? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-19-2010, 04:10 AM   #1
Registered Member

high-demand parts? What do you need?

In an effort to find some extra cash, supply good people with hard to find parts, or just parts in general, and destroy the "it's rare, charge 4x how much it should be worth" mentality, I'd like to get into the parts business.

No, not business-business. Just take requests for parts and when I'm scouring the local junkyards I'll keep an eye out for people.

Some OEM parts are unnecessarily and questionably overpriced. Heck, after buying a miata and joining a few forums for them, I was seeing people sell stuff like glove-box doors for $70 and wondering WTF the world had come to. I really don't understand things like that but anyhow. That scenario is very common. I've seen gauge clusters be bought at the junkyard for $15 and sold online for $125. I bought a TPI intake and runners once at the 'yard for $55 and chickened out of a project and took bids on it and sold it for $225. Those are unique occasions but never the less, supply and demand has it's place. I'm not looking to supply parts in this manner but I can't help what the junkyard wants for part X and what someone is willing to pay for part X who may have been searching for years with no luck.

My goal is to help people first and foremost.

I frequent junkyards in the dead of winter when most people are too cold to get out and get dirty. It just so happens that's when a lot of cars get wrecked and to find good stuff you've got to be there first.

If you know of any parts that are rare that you think I could easily turn over, or you're looking for a specific part yourself, please post it up and let me know.

I'd be interested and willing to go as far as pulling transmissions, heads, intakes, ECU's, injectors, turbos, etc. I won't be pulling any complete engines. I might be talked into finding those annoying parts that break too like speedometer gears, PS lines, fuel pumps, any interior parts, etc.

Thanks!

'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:10 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Re: high-demand parts? What do you need?

I've been bothered by the same issue.

While googling to find self-service junkyards (which are rare in this region), I found a forum about junkyarding where people post their requests and their finds, to do what you're describing. I don't know if this is the one I found before, but it's setup that way:
http://junkyarding.freeforums.org

Do you see 1970s/1980s GMs in the junkyards you frequent? I still have to visit more of the few self-service junkyards around here, but I may want to acquire some parts for my 1980 Buick, especially interior plastics if they're any good.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:24 AM   #3
Registered Member

There are some older cars/trucks at one particular local yard, yes. I'll keep an eye out for you though.

What year ranges will the parts swap over? Like '78-90?
'01 KTM Duke 2
Old 10-19-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Good question. There is a partial list of interchangeable sheet metal but I don't need any, unless I want to replace the damaged passenger door (but that thing is a beast - I'd be better off paying a body shop to fix it and I doubt you'd want to mess with that anyway).

Unfortunately I don't know what to look for for my interior plastics. I'll post again after I check my local junkyards and/or know specifically what I want...don't hold your breath.

Edit: I definitely want sway bars and maybe springs, but again, I'll check local yards first. They'd probably be expensive to ship anyway.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
Registered Member

If you add sways, use poly endlink kits from Energy Suspension. Night and day difference. Find a good rear sway bar too. They really make a great improvement.

I removed the isolators when I changed springs in the Z28 to give a 1/2" drop. Ride quality improved too.
'01 KTM Duke 2
Old 10-19-2010, 03:50 PM   #6
Registered Member

Stock (stamped L1H1) O2 sensor for a 92-95 Civic VX.

Low mileage would be great, but a spare in any shape is welcome!

Edit: I'm sure there would be other folks interested in these for a reasonable price.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:55 PM   #7
Registered Member

VX stuff isn't going to be found in a junkyard. That much I know right off the top of my head. Maybe shells, possibly destroyed engine/trans, but highly doubtful. Sorry man.

TONS of CX, DX, LX, etc. stuff available though.... lol
'01 KTM Duke 2
Old 10-19-2010, 04:14 PM   #8
Registered Member

I usually walk past the Japanese car rows but I ought to look for VXes and grab their O2 sensors. How do I identify a VX, and what size wrench is required for the O2 sensor?
Old 10-19-2010, 05:11 PM   #9
Site Team / Moderator

There's a special socket with a slot cut into it to remove O2 sensors so you don't damage the wiring.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:24 PM   #10
Registered Member

Yup. Harbor Freight sells one in 3/8", and a set of various size O2 sensor sockets.