High Speed Rail - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-29-2010, 08:12 AM   #1
Registered Member

High Speed Rail

High Speed Rail will provide 'Shovel Ready Jobs' and save the economy, we are told.

Really?

. How many non-union jobs are there in the railroad industry?
. Since it is a government project(s), how many non-union contractors will be used?
. How many unuin job-sites will accept non-union delivered cargo?
. From non-union manufacturers?

Scam! Scam! Scam!

623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:54 AM   #2

Why does scab or union labor have to figure into this? Jobs are jobs, last I heard.

FrugalFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
Registered Member

Is this the high speed rail in Florida?

You know , the one being built with technology from overseas?

Pete.
GasSavers_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:11 PM   #4
Registered Member

Frankly, while I'd love to see a good high speed rail system, wouldn't it make sense to make a low speed rail system that was profitable first?

Is there REALLY that much demand amongst the traveling public for a high-speed rail system?

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:14 PM   #5

Shatto may be talking about the bond proposition that California voters approved in 2008. It was a worthless giveaway of public funds because the money was to go to a study of high speed rail viability. There was no requirement that a single foot of rail had to be laid for the 10 billion dollars in funding the project received.
FrugalFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:50 PM   #6
Registered Member

I hope this works out. america really needs this for now (jobs, doesnt matter if its min wage or 30 an hour) and the fact that instead of driving or taking a plane to another city to waste gas, these trains use 0 gallons of fuel.

I really like the idea, since if for example, you travel from a city to another city that takes 4 hours to drive (240 miles apart) , you would waste 30 min going to the airport, 2 hours for going thru security, 30 min for the flight, and another 30 to come back to the new city's downtown from the airport, that takes 3 and a half hours while a high speed train would take no more than 2 hours.

the pricing for a ticket has to be dead on also, I lived in philadelphia, pa before and taking the bus to nyc takes 2 hours, for 10 bucks. while the amtrak takes 1 hr 40 mins but the damn ticket costs 85 on average. the train wasnt twice the speed, and was way more than twice the price. just dont make any economical sense to spend 8x more to save 20 minutes
civic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:52 AM   #7
Registered Member

unions are garbage anymore anyways. i work for a non-union company but am contracted to work for a union company. but then again a union is only as strong as the people in it. too bad the majority of americans are ****asses
tehtugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:36 AM   #8
Registered Member

I'm talking about Barak Obama's plan. It will fund high speed rail projects nationwide.

We all will agree that; it makes sense and is practical and everybody would benefit from such a wonderful systen, yadda, yadda, yadda.......
BUT; we, you and me, won't use it. For the same reasons most people don't use public transit; it doesn't go where we want to go, we need transportation once we arrive, we need transportation to get the darn thing in the first place, it doesn't go when we want to travel and more reasons you get to think of.

I once read in a Railroad trade magazine, the reasons America would never have a Europe or Japan-type rail system. Essentially, cost to build it in the first place was beyond the GNP of the country.
623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:53 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehtugboat View Post
too bad the majority of americans are ****asses
you don't have to censor that. put dumb masses in place of it. in recent elections, it seems as tho the dumb masses are educating themselves a bit.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:27 PM   #10
Registered Member

From what I understand, there is talk of a high-speed rail system to link LA with San Francisco, Sacramento, San Diego, etc. 8-11 years to build the first segment. Compare with the transcontinental railroad, built between 1863 and 1869.

I'm just not sure that there is enough demand for the designated routes. Now...between LA and Vegas...

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote