Honda named 2007 Greenest Automaker - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2007, 07:34 AM   #1
Driving on E

Honda named 2007 Greenest Automaker

http://www.huliq.com/17460/honda-nam...nest-automaker

Go Honda go!

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:31 PM   #2
Registered Member

The year after discontinuing the Insight, and while putting a high emphasis on their 'trucks.' It's really sad that Honda has been doing these things in recent years, and are still the greenest.

repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:40 PM   #3
*shrug*

Discontinuining the insight certainly reduced their emissions levels,

And regardless of where their fuel economy might go, they do continue to reduce emissions and have done so for years. Hell, they had 4 stroke scooters and motorcycles before it became a thing, and it still isn't really a thing from what I understand.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:03 PM   #4
Supporting Member

Hello -

Correct me if I am wrong, but I *think* Honda hasn't exploited the SUV emissions loophole. They could have made their SUVs as dirty as farm trucks, but their SUVs use the same emissions equipment as their normal cars.

While they may not be the MPG champion they used to be, they have gotten this part right.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:00 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
but look at a car like the civic, started out as a 1,700 pound car, and is something like 3,000 pounds now? they are just as bad as everyone else.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 04:56 AM   #6
Registered Member

Ya, but then they came in underneath the Civic with the Fit, huh? But I see your point.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:24 AM   #7
*shrug*

The cars weigh more because they have more to them, especially in the way of safety, and they have made more 1700 pound cars, look at the insight, hardly any bought it, not even enough to keep it in production. I don't feel like a cars weight matters when we're talking about emissions. They still have the best fuel economy of any car maker in the US, and do things like design solar cells with half the emissions during production. Obviously they care, and are developing the technology because they believe in it and not because it will look good, like every other company is.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:28 AM   #8
Supporting Member

SVOboy -

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
The cars weigh more because they have more to them, especially in the way of safety, and they have made more 1700 pound cars, look at the insight, hardly any bought it, not even enough to keep it in production. I don't feel like a cars weight matters when we're talking about emissions. They still have the best fuel economy of any car maker in the US, and do things like design solar cells with half the emissions during production. Obviously they care, and are developing the technology because they believe in it and not because it will look good, like every other company is.
I think that "car bloat" is typical with each new generation of car. The car always has to "offer more" than the previous generation. Put a modern Civic beside an older Accord and you'll see what I mean. They're the same size.

The tiny Hondas still exist, they're just not named Civic and they're not offered in the United States. Even though the Fit is smaller, you can't tell me that the Fit is a small car. The Fit is the best "small car bang for the buck" that Honda has, uber-practical with lots of interior space, a Scion Xb without the "in your face" design aesthetic.

I think they care about emissions but are also being smart about it. One of the reasons why Honda exists today is the CVCC engine, which exceeded the new emission regulations in a time when they were just starting to regulate it. I think they are betting on an enlightened future where "life cycle emissions" will be something that all manufacturers have to deal with.

Yeah, emission control systems don't "look good", they are good.

Dude, check out that cat-converter, it totally rocks!

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:26 AM   #9
Registered Member

Toyota is making a pretty good run for it. Here's the full report. Click on the "full report "PDF link. Interesting stuff.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:07 PM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
The cars weigh more because they have more to them, especially in the way of safety, and they have made more 1700 pound cars, look at the insight, hardly any bought it, not even enough to keep it in production.
I wonder where exactly that weight comes from.... I remember my materials professor (a few years ago) citing what appeared to be an exaggerated statistic that 80% of the steels used in vehicles 5 years ago are now obsolete in favor stronger, lighter alloys... I wonder if any of the weight is ballast to level the playing field during a collision with heavy vehicles :P

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote