Honda Rebel vs. CB125 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-20-2007, 07:40 AM   #1
Driving on E

Honda Rebel vs. CB125

Looking on craigslist, I see a 1996 Honda Rebel for $1500 and a 70s CB125 for $800.

Which is preferred? Newer is probably better, but maybe those CB125s are more fun. The CB125 is kick start, so that's something to consider.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:54 AM   #2
Registered Member

Not knowing anything else, I'd go with the newer one for greater reliability and parts availability.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:57 AM   #3
Driving on E

1996 rebel:

CB125:

These are the actual bikes
Old 06-20-2007, 07:58 AM   #4

kick starting a 125 is pretty easy. I would think a 70's bike would require a lot more tinkering time to keep it running good. I have a 81 GN 400 that requires constant tinkering to keep running so I don't actually drive it anymore. Every time I wanted to go riding it would take me 30-45 min to get it running right.

So it depends on what you are wanting. If you don't mind working on it more often then that is not an issue. The rebel is newer and you won't have to wait for a few days every time you need a part, they might actually have the parts in stock for it. It really sucks not being able to ride because you are waiting on a part to come in But then again small bikes are always more fun to run around on as long as you don't need to go real fast. You can tell I am being real decisive about what one to choose

How about get both of them
CoyoteX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:02 AM   #5
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote X View Post
kick starting a 125 is pretty easy. I would think a 70's bike would require a lot more tinkering time to keep it running good. I have a 81 GN 400 that requires constant tinkering to keep running so I don't actually drive it anymore. Every time I wanted to go riding it would take me 30-45 min to get it running right.

So it depends on what you are wanting. If you don't mind working on it more often then that is not an issue. The rebel is newer and you won't have to wait for a few days every time you need a part, they might actually have the parts in stock for it. It really sucks not being able to ride because you are waiting on a part to come in But then again small bikes are always more fun to run around on as long as you don't need to go real fast. You can tell I am being real decisive about what one to choose

How about get both of them
Nah... can't afford both. DOn't even know if I can afford one, but I'm considering it.

Does anyone know if the 1996 Rebels are fuel injected? I should email the owner to see what kid of gas mileage it gets.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:38 AM   #6
Registered Member

I'd go for the newer bike, just for parts and the pita factor.
Look on ebay and see how many parts are for sale for each bike.

While researching carb/fuel injected for my hybrid project, it turns out that Honda only introduced fuel injection in their CBR series in 2000 or 2001, and hence the FI after the model name. So I'd be surprised if the '96 was fuel injected. I'd try to buy a carb for it online, if you find one then it's not fuel injected. Or just ask the owner.

You can mess with carbs, but for fuel economy it's probably easier to find an aftermarket ecu that you can reprogram to fit your needs. That was the deciding factor for my decision to go with FI, but I don't know if there is an aftermarket ECU for your '96 bike.

Tom.
tom_eberhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:16 AM   #7

I saw a new rebel at a dealership and it was a carb. It had to have been at the oldest an 06 model so that means the 96 would have had to have been a carb.

The new ones sell for ~$3000 so maybe it would be worth spending a bit more and getting a new one? If you put like 1000 down and pay it off in 2 years or so it won't end up being much more than 3250 total and you will have a lot more reliable bike that will be good for a lot longer time before needing a new one. And after you add the time and cost of maintaining a 10 year old bike it might work out to be a better deal.

But then again $800 for a bike is pretty cheap so you really can't go wrong spending so little for a good bike

I have been looking at buying a bike and from what I have seen in various reviews the rebel gets around 70mpg if driven easy with normal driving. I am sure you could beat 100mpg with not even half the techniques used on this site.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:19 AM   #8

http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/2/0/89185720.htm

close to you and $2,899.00
Old 06-20-2007, 10:24 AM   #9
Registered Member

If you have the time, I say nab the 125 and convert to FI with a set of TB's offa ebay, megasquirt, and whatever odds&ends. You probably increase power and fuel economy while reducing emissions!
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:24 PM   #10
*shrug*

I would get the rebel, they have a very good reputation and that seems like a decent price.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote