How Many of You Do This?... - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Do you ask other drivers to shut off their vehicles?
Absolutely! 2 8.70%
No way, never. 10 43.48%
Maybe, if i know them. 11 47.83%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-05-2008, 01:01 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Incredible View Post
I paid for the fuel, I'll idle if I feel like it.

I won't bother anybody else about theirs, either. Nunna my bidness.
i have agreed with many of your views on many different issues, but we differ on this one.

i get a little sore about subsidizing others.

i typically mind my own as well. however, if someone were to idle, smoke tobacco, etc around kids in a situation where they couldn't get away from it, i WILL speak up!

it's only fair to share CLEAN air.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:33 AM   #12

Bowtieguy, I respect your position.

It's our personal choice where, or even if, the line is drawn. I'll speak up on a number if issues (rude cellphone users, line jumpers, oblivions, barking dogs, catpoo in my garden, etc.) and not on others. If it's a matter of economy (my own and family) I may speak up if the offense is agregious enough. If it's simply a matter of "saving the earth" I won't.

If a company or concern can increase their bottom line by fuel savings, that's just good business. They're silly not to.

We don't have much of a fresh air problem in Nebraska, so that doesn't bug me. I don't believe we have a shortage of crude oil for any reason other than politico-economic power grabbers. And I don't buy into human-caused global warming to any extent but a tiny fraction of overall natural temperature variances.

I think we must simply disagree.

Mayhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:08 AM   #13

Okay - DO IT! I live in WV and I will drive by a particular school I know of that has a "no idling zone" SET of signs out by the curb! It is illegal here to leave your vehicle running - either the kids get out immediately or you shut it off. This applies to BUSES too! I'll try to take pictures of the signs for you. Buses must shut off their engines and this is a good thing.

Go for it! I bet you could save more gasoline single-handed by doing this than any of us could do in a lifetime.

As a side note my wife gets on me for doing just at the speed limit if I'm in the left lane, and I reply, I'm saving gas on multiple cars because they have to do the speed limit! If people want to do over the posted speed limit, then they need to petition the lawmakers. I had an idiot want to do 85 in the RIGHT lane so she could exit the other day - kept flashing her lights at me. Did I mention it was in a 55 MPH construction zone?

Stick to your guns - get them to turn off the engines.

By the way, I turn off my engine at fast food joints, my mileage has increased around town about an average of 5 MPG - and my wife and I don't stop at fast food more than twice a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
That is pretty much the going thought on idling in MN...it's sad really, since I work at an Elementary School I see so many Parents leaving their vehicles running...I'll make a mention that they left their car running. Their response "I want to keep it warm" Like running in for 5 minutes to drop your kid off is going to have dire effects on cabin temperature

I could pull the Jerk-card and have a sign put up in front of the building stating "No Idling", at least then I could have a good reason (to them) to have their motors off..."fresh air intake on this side of the building, ma'am, you don't want to poison the children now, do you?"
Old 05-06-2008, 08:10 AM   #14

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/25/ed...n/25green.html
Old 05-06-2008, 01:49 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Bowtieguy, I respect your position.

If it's a matter of economy (my own and family) I may speak up if the offense is agregious enough. If it's simply a matter of "saving the earth" I won't.

I don't believe we have a shortage of crude oil for any reason other than politico-economic power grabbers. And I don't buy into human-caused global warming to any extent but a tiny fraction of overall natural temperature variances.
and i respect yours. i quoted you on what we DO agree on concerning this issue.

if i agreed w/ all your views, that would make my character less credible.

BTW, my wife loves your Z. we have an '86 and a 30 year anniversary(base model).
Old 05-06-2008, 03:40 PM   #16

Thanks. I'm not sure how to take the idea that agreeing with me on more items would somehow make you less credible. I would merely think you are correct on more things...

In the interest of full disclosure, that's not my Z. I don't have any photos of this Camaro. I don't have chrome wheels, but the style of wheel and everything else (including being shiny) is the same.

Also in the interest of full disclosure, my CRX is no longer Camo. I decided I liked it so I went on Rust Patrol. Baseball sized rust holes in both doors, rot in both rear corners, and 80 percent gone rocker panels. I sanded it all over to find the old bondo and have it down to original basecoat, primer, and bare steel. It'll be ready to paint in a week or three. I have to replace the rocker panels and I'll be ready to finish the bondo and begin the 220 sanding for primer.

I have to get it back on the road quickly. I've been driving the Camaro and am fast losing my feather-foot! I forgot how much fun a real gas pedal is. In keeping with the theme of the thread, I would say I fully expect somebody to intervene against the fast driving and squeally tires.
Mayhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:54 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm not sure how to take the idea that agreeing with me on more items would somehow make you less credible.
if we agree on EVERY position, one of us is essentially a liar. or, at the very least, too easily influenced.

i, like you, think and decide for myself. this is of course after considering all views of a particular issue(all absolutes put aside that is).
Old 05-17-2008, 03:07 PM   #18
Registered Member

had to bite my tongue today at the gym. in the locker room there was a member letting the water run while shaving!

our water situation is worse than our gas situation.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:44 PM   #19

Yo roadrunner. I'm from chesco. In defense of those leaving the motors running in PA. I drive a diesel truck at work and most of us leave them running when it is below freezing. none of them have glow plugs, just block heaters that plug in at our station. If they sit too long they will have a hard time starting if they start at all. My company also doesn't believe in replacing the truck batteries until after they leave us stranded and that usually happens on cold days. But yeah, it is still a waste of fuel.

dletm08 is offline   Reply With Quote