How supportive is your spouse or "significant other"? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2006, 04:39 PM   #1
Registered Member

How supportive is your spouse or "significant other"?

I just have to ask -- how supportive is your spouse or "significant other" in your Gassavers.org participation? Since it's become a hobby and a challenge of mine to improve the economy of our vehicles, I kinda get the "eye-roll" and, "Well, Rick's in the garage doing something to the car again". Don't get me wrong, we spend a lot of quality time together (so it's not necessarily an obsession), but sometimes when I "tinker" I get the "whatever".

Luckily we do share the same views on not buying an SUV, and getting good gas mileage. But beyond that, I'm on my own. She does like the more relaxed driving I've adopted, though

How is Gassavers viewed by your signifcant other?

RH77

Old 01-19-2006, 04:44 PM   #2
*shrug*

The internet forum part =

The internet forum part = creepy.
Good gas mileage = yay.
I still need to teach her to drive though.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 04:56 PM   #3
Driving on E

supportive

My wife is supportive of me. She encourages me to do what makes me happy, so I'm extremely lucky.

She'll even let me tinker with her car if I want to.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:10 PM   #4
Registered Member

Re: supportive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
My wife is supportive of me. She encourages me to do what makes me happy, so I'm extremely lucky.

She'll even let me tinker with her car if I want to.
I'm lucky there too. The Integra is technically her car, but I've been allowed to use it as my daily driver and conduct experiments on it. She drives the TL, and I'm slowly introducing user-friendly (behind the scenes) economy tricks (like WAI, etc.) to that car, which is technically in my name.

If only I could get her to drive a stick-shift. Her friend has a Mini and agreed to help teach her. I tried a while back with my Si -- I won't go there...

RH77
Old 01-19-2006, 06:36 PM   #5
Registered Member

Well, my parents think i am

Well, my parents think i am crazy (especially my mom).

Any time I give my dad a tip on how to save gas he sais, "I am not a slave to gas" "I will pay the price" "I bought the aveo so I could save gas I don't need any help". Well one of them

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:14 PM   #6
Registered Member

My parents don't care. My

My parents don't care. My dad even helped me install nitrous. He thought nitrous wouldn't increase power. I took him out on the freeway and showed him a 35 shot. He was like oh S@#$. If I would of did a 75 shot he would of crapped his pants. I never did a 75 shot with somebody else in the car. Too scary even for me. Torque steer like crazy.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:12 AM   #7

My situation is similar to

My situation is similar to yours RH77. Tammara gives me the eye roll when I start tinkering or wanting to spend money in the name of saving on gas. She hates even more following me, because now I'm a religious 55 mph driver on the interstate, and she's become an 80+ driver since she's learned to drive a 5-speed. She is somewhat of a Gassaver at heart though, with her previous car being a 1991 Isuzu Trooper [gas HOG], and her current car a 1997 Honda Accord EX. I'm able to tinker with her car, as long as I pay for it. But she wants it fast - I guess letting her drive my turbocharged Civic was a bad idea. =P
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:13 PM   #8
Registered Member

My Fiance is pretty

My Fiance is pretty supportive i guess, lets me mess with my truck almsot as much as i want with no complaints as long as she isn't in a needy mode (y'all know what i mean), and she appreciates me attempting some things with her car, and she even seems to appreciate my driving style, she isn't afraid to tell other people that I get better mileage out of her car than she does.
chesspirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:23 AM   #9
Registered Member

my wife loves it when I save

my wife loves it when I save money, espically when I spend most of it! She's too timid to drive a car (how did she get her liscence?) , and refuses to learn stick at all! SO my next car going to have to be an auto ;( so no more bump starts.

But she loves the hybrids though, she loves the stealth mode. Don't we all I know I do!