I got "Car Mold" - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2007, 09:03 PM   #1
Registered Member

I got "Car Mold"

So today I took my big old lincoln on a 600 mile round trip to pick up a new engine for my other car. It turned out it was a bad day for this. It was all ice when i left, then i hit slush, then i hit more ice. I got my tripminder installed though so that is very good. Now I can do aeromods, and test them Anywyas here is some interesting pics of the whip. Also, I got the new engine for my civic, so hopefull I'll have that up and running buy summer. The good news is I averaged in the 20's even with constantly changing speeds for the icey roads, plowing through slush, driving down an unplowed road with about a foot of fresh powder, and having hundreds of pounds of ice stuck to my car (most of it was on the bottom and insides)

Old 02-25-2007, 09:33 PM   #2
Registered Member

That is the strangest thing I've ever seen! It looks like your car was just pulled out of the ocean !

Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 11:53 PM   #3
Team GasMisers5!

Glad to see you made it OK! I think your Lincoln looks brilliant - I would love to have one over here . I'm glad to see the MPG going up too - your car is probably a prime candidate for real time MPG feedback at some point to improve the mileage further.

It must have been very cold, especially to make the ice on the wheel on the last shot!!!

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:17 AM   #4
Registered Member

Now you don't have to go to a wind tunnel to see where to begin with the aero mods.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:03 AM   #5
Registered Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto View Post
Now you don't have to go to a wind tunnel to see where to begin with the aero mods.
I don't understand? just like fill in where the ice is collecting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by landspeed View Post
Glad to see you made it OK! I think your Lincoln looks brilliant - I would love to have one over here . I'm glad to see the MPG going up too - your car is probably a prime candidate for real time MPG feedback at some point to improve the mileage further.

It must have been very cold, especially to make the ice on the wheel on the last shot!!!
Yeah it was a heck of a trip! If you like it now, wait till I paint it haha. With my new tripminder, I should be able to quickly improve upon my overall MPG. One thing I noticed on the tripwas this cars sensitivy to sidewinds. From 45-75 mph, i got the same MPG. Either the engine is screwy, or the difference in sidewind vs straight on wind was that great.

It was actually about 25 degrees. They were just sanding the roads like crazy so that it was covered in slush in places, while other places were fresh snow or glare ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakster View Post
That is the strangest thing I've ever seen! It looks like your car was just pulled out of the ocean !
I know! looks like barnacles or something haha,

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
I'm digging that lil' hubcap in the last shot!

Years ago I was driving a VW Squareback under similar conditions and the front wheelwells got so packed with ice the wheels couldn't be steered! Scary. Had to get on the ground and kick it outta there.
That would be a bit scary! My car was bottoming out on the frozen slush in the wheelwells. Really bumpy ride. I also found an extension cord dragging behind my car, so It looked like my car had a tail haha.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:21 PM   #6
Registered Member

Where all the ice is you can tell there is turbulence. With the hugh wheel wells it looks like you don't have the bulge problems with the tires. They make colored duct tape, take some red or black tape and cover the rear wheel wells and maybe 1/4 of the front wheel wells. In a couple of days it will be covered in road grim and nobody will be able to tell you taped it
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:37 PM   #7
Tuggin at the surly bonds

Wow, those are some nice wheelwell boogers.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:31 PM   #8
Registered Member

Any packed in the wheels?

Any snow packed in the wheels? I had a terrible imbalance on a Civic one Winter and it shook the car violently at 40+ mph. There was just snow packed on the inside of the wheel that had frozen solid.

I love the hub-cap bling

RH77
Old 02-26-2007, 08:14 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
Any snow packed in the wheels? I had a terrible imbalance on a Civic one Winter and it shook the car violently at 40+ mph. There was just snow packed on the inside of the wheel that had frozen solid.

I love the hub-cap bling

RH77
I haven't done anything more than a quick glance of the car, but tommorow it goes in for some work to the underbelly, and checking for loose wires, or a bad TFI module. (most likely causes for the unintentional EOC, and the missing at highway speed)

I didn't notice any imbalances, but by driving while it was snowing, i would imagine it would have gotten pretty evenly dispersed. I also would have thought that going 70 mph plus would keep ice-icles (no idea how to spell that) from forming on the wheels, but i wasn't so correct on that.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:45 PM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
I can't wait to see what aeromods do to this car.

I bet if you were to put a Civic engine in it, you'd only see about 15-20% FE gain. If you do extensive aeromods as you had shown plans for in your other topic, I wouldn't be surprised if you could exceed that percentage gain by far while keeping the V8.

The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote