I guess it's time to give up on my lawn tractor - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2009, 12:52 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Ok, so I pulled the spark plug and it's covered in black goo, maybe looking a little gritty. It also broke on the way out (hey, I used a padded spark plug socket) so I don't have to worry about cleaning it...I bought a new one.

Is there anything I should do before I put the new plug in? I was thinking of turning it over to spit any junk out the plug hole or using a rag on a wire coat hanger to try to see how gunky the cylinder is.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:19 PM   #12
Registered Member

If the plug is that filthy I'd pull the cylinder head and look for worn valve guides and a ridge on top of the cyl.

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

theclencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:20 PM   #13
Registered Member

tractor supply has a product called Fabulous Blaster. it says "powerful lawn mower tune-up."

you spray it in the plug hole for 20 seconds, put the plug back in, and turn the motor w/out starting it. let sit for 15 minutes then start and operate.

claims to:
restore power and compression
free rings and valves
prevent vapor lock and stalling
removes moisture and smooths engine performance
removes carbon, gum and varnish deposits
cools injectors and turbos(just kidding)

works ok i guess.

i figured out that my carb was shot on my old mower. so, i took the carb off another mower, installed it, then sold it.

edit: the side of the can says it's called Blaster LMT
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:53 PM   #14
Registered Member

just take the carb off and spray everywhere with carb cleaner (especially thru all the little jets) make sure to keep grass and oil somewhat off the mower, dry grass loves to burst into flames especially oil soaked lol

that solenoid is supposed to close the fuel when the key is off or you trip a safety switch. prolly dirty/gummed up.

lawnmowers are extremely easy to fix
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:42 PM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Well, I thought the plug was oily, but I rubbed it with a napkin and it was dry. I don't know if that'd be oil fouling or ash fouling.

I really don't want to take off the head. I don't thiink I've ever taken off an OHV head. I think the head I took off in high school shop class all those years ago was not OHV...and I can't remember anything about that anyway.

I wish I knew about that stuff at Tractor Supply, I went there when I went to get a spark plug. I got the plug at Auto Zone but I stopped in at TSC to see if they have a carb kit (they seem to only have them for International Harvesters).

So, while I've got it all apart and my tools out I:
  • Adjusted the brakes again
  • Finally removed the blades so I can sharpen them on the bench grinder I finally have...last year I wanted to do that but didn't have a bench grinder and couldn't get the blades loose. This year I decided to use vise grips and a breaker bar, but then I lost my 9/16 socket while looking for my breaker bar (damnit!)...so I used a pipe on a closed-end wrench.
  • Worked on the blade disengaging issue - I removed the deck and took apart that mechanism and greased everything. Now it's way easier. I don't know how it will feel from that lever once it's all reinstalled, but it should be way better, and if not I've seen a couple places I could adjust it too.

Maybe this thing will be in better condition when this is all done than it's ever been as long as I've had it.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:46 PM   #16
Registered Member

Ok, I guess I'm going to Tractor Supply Company again. The stuff is $4.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/...g=true&cFlag=1
Old 05-22-2009, 02:55 PM   #17
Site Team / Moderator

I love going to TSC... The dogs & cats hate it though. I buy the dogs & cats vaccinations there.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:16 PM   #18
Registered Member

leave the head alone, most mowers leave black deposits on em, its a lawnmower not a car....

generally when a mower wont run its the basic 3 things: fuel, spark compression.

fuel issues generally mean the carbs gunked up, a can of carb cleaner fixes that everytime

spark it can only be a few things: the plug, magneto, and or any safety devices (what usually causes issues)

compression well it generally doesnt go bad if A theres enough of the right oil and B someone didnt use regular gas in a 2 cycle
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:36 PM   #19
Registered Member

Oh, it starts and runs for sure. The problem is that it smokes like a chimney.

At least, I hope that's the problem, I hope I've fixed the fire problem.

I'm quitting for the night, I'll finish tomorrow. Maybe I'll grind the blades tonight still.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:10 PM   #20
Registered Member

Lawn tractor. OK. I got that.
Spark plugs? Carburetor? Magneto? What are those?
http://www.gassavers.org/garage/view/1971

Maybe this'll be the weekend I buy a cyclocomputer for the diesel Bolens. The last one indicated I was getting 2 mpg snow throwing, and closer to 3 when mowing.
Until it fell off and I mulched it.

Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote