I issue a challenge!!! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-19-2006, 01:55 PM   #1
Driving on E

I issue a challenge!!!

Compaq888 is convinced his car gets 40mpg+ on the highway.

I'm skeptical.

According to the EPA a 1999 Nissan Altima will get 25mpg in the city and 30mpg on the highway.

His claim that he has acheived 40mpg on the freeway is based off of two fill-ups, each of which were under 1 gallon.

My challenge to Compaq888:

Drive a total of 200 miles. Drive 100 miles, turn around, and drive back. You are to keep your car in the condition you had it in today when you achieved 36mpg. You said you did this going 65mph using cruise control. You front tires were 37 psi and your rear tires were 35 psi. The same conditions must exist.

Fill up to the first click and no more.

If he achieves 40mpg on this 200 miles trip, I will pay for his gas for this trip. If he doesn't get 40mpg, he pays for the gas himself.

The challenge has been accepted and will commence tonight.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:29 PM   #2
FE nut

Quote:Fill up to the first

Quote:
Fill up to the first click and no more.
I don't want to be a stick in the mud but I have a concern about this fill-up method. I have noticed that if there are other people pumping at the same time the flow rate isn't as fast which means that more fuel could get in before the pump kicks off. I've noticed that when the fuel is flowing fast, it tends to splash more thereby causing the pump to kick off faster. Maybe we need suggestions on the best fill-up method? I'll go first with my method. I fill up at the same pump, facing the same direction, etc. I then fill until the fuel is about ready to run out of the filler neck. Then I shake the car to make sure the air bubbles are out then refill as necessary until the fuel is even with the filler neck. I realize that people who have to use the special pumps that seal up may have a difficult time using this method. I re-filled in St. Louis, MO one time and had to hold the spring loaded seal with my other hand to make the above method work. I agree that a long distance would be the most accurate way to measure fuel economy. The problem is that I don't always have the time to go that far. :-(

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:37 PM   #3
Driving on E

I hear your concern Larry.

I hear your concern Larry. The thing about always filling up to the first click is that over time it all evens out. The same argument can be used to support the other side. What if on his first fill up he gets more gas than his second fill up? It makes his MPG look bigger than it actually is.

It's things like this that we cannot always control, so I think it's best to not totally worry about them.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:39 PM   #4
FE nut

Quote:I hear your concern

Quote:
I hear your concern Larry. The thing about always filling up to the first click is that over time it all evens out. The same argument can be used to support the other side. What if on his first fill up he gets more gas than his second fill up? It makes his MPG look bigger than it actually is.
It's things like this that we cannot always control, so I think it's best to not totally worry about them.
Good point.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:49 PM   #5
*shrug*

And I should also say I

And I should also say I don't feel good about releasing the the seal thing because it's there to prevent unhealthy and wasteful fumes from spewing out.

Besides, matt posted something early on in this site's history about the 22 million gallons or something wasted to evaporation.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:50 PM   #6
Registered Member

Hopefully I break 40mpgs

Hopefully I break 40mpgs because I think stock intake works better than a WAI setup I got now.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 03:46 PM   #7
Registered Member

First Click

The "first click" system needs at least 2 fill-ups, as I recently found out. The first tank will be highly optomistic because it will use less fuel, whereas the second will be more accurate (which is what happened).

RH77
Old 01-19-2006, 06:29 PM   #8
Registered Member

I do the one click system.

I do the one click system. I has some flaws but I agree it evens out in the end.

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:02 AM   #9
Registered Member

What a waste of 3 hours and

What a waste of 3 hours and 45 min.
Let's not forget the $16.33

I took a wrong route. If I knew the 91 had a 8 mile incline I would not taken it. Also thanks to the construction crews for closing the 91 at the 60 freeway merger and the 605. I took 2 stupid detours.

To add insult to injury the mpg was 31.41
It wasn't the detours and the inclines, or the slipping transmission, it's the car. It's a POS.
I'm never doing a run like this. First moment I'll get this car will be sold. I'll get a manual, so I don't have to wait 5 miles till overdrive works, and get to select the gears myself.

What a horrible night. I should of just crashed it into the construction trucks when I was driving by. At least I would of been given a check for $5000 from insurance and buy a better car.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:35 PM   #10
Registered Member

Bummer, I'll give it a shot

Bummer -- I was hoping this would work out. My goal is to get 40 combined in the Integra (80% highway). I've added the EPA estimates, to my signature for good measure. I bet I can get close to 40mpg, right now, at 55 mph for 200 miles. The EPA original estimate for '98 was 24/31. Kansas City has an interstate loop -- I-435 that I could set the cruise for around 58 (55 actual) and loop around town 3 or 4 times to get 200 miles. I'm willing to take the challenge: providing, I can warm up the car first - also no need to pay for the tank or anything, just science in-action is good enough for me. I may have time on Saturday or Sunday to do it (weather permitting -- snow is expected, which kills my mileage).

RH77