I Predict the First Wave of Chinese Cars in the USA will... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2017, 06:18 PM   #1
Registered Member

I Predict the First Wave of Chinese Cars in the USA will...

...be electric cars.

The Chinese communists recently mandated 8% of all Chinese car manufacturing to be EVs. This forces Chinese car industries to seriously innovate and find a way to sell affordable EVs.

This, in effect, puts China in the same position as the Japanese were in during the 1970 American gas crisis, where the US auto majors were caught with their pants down, while the Japanese grabbed huge US market share with their smaller, gas saving cars.

The Chinese EVs will use the same "playbook". The Chinese will introduce EVs into the US market with hard to resist offers. Again, catching GM, Ford, and Chrysler/Fiat flat footed, but this time with outdated ICE technology.

Thoughts?

ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:13 PM   #2
Registered Member

Be prepared for the usual stereotyping Doug "Chinese products are poorly made and unsafe" even though that's far from the case, I'm sure there are those that still think that. The Chinese are way ahead with the EV market, they produce more EV's than any other country in the World.

They're mainly pushing on because of poor air quality and they've realised there's money to be made, it makes economic sense. They're not doing it to be "green" or to save the planet.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:12 AM   #3
Registered Member

Volvo is a Chinese owned company and they have just announced, yesterday, that all new cars manufactured from 2019 will have an electric motor. There will be 5, fully electric vehicles, between 2019 and 2021, plus a range of hybrids. They will continue to manufacture ICE vehicles during the model lifetime.
Volvo goes electric across the board - BBC News
Old 07-06-2017, 05:01 AM   #4
Registered Member

The Chinese car market does have a lower priority on safety. How well will they meet other markets' safety regulations is a question.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:17 AM   #5
Registered Member

There's a big enough market in China anyway with like a third of the world's population, why would they even consider spending extra money on making the cars comply with other safety standards and exportation?

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:04 AM   #6
Registered Member

France has announced they will ban the sale of vehicles using petrol or diesel as a fuel, from 2040. Don't think I need worry about that!
Old 07-06-2017, 05:06 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JockoT View Post
France has announced they will ban the sale of vehicles using petrol or diesel as a fuel, from 2040. Don't think I need worry about that!
Interesting. Thanks.

I suspect the bulk of the change from ICE to EV will happen way before that, like 2025.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:31 PM   #8
Registered Member

I won't discount this idea.

However, if I believe both my father (who went to China multiple times over the last 15 years in multiple capacities in Silicon Valley business), and sources such as ADVChina, we're still looking at poor build quality and a stiff learning curve to be able to sell here.

That's if our Glorious Leader doesn't screw up the marketplace with mercantilism.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:43 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
Be prepared for the usual stereotyping Doug "Chinese products are poorly made and unsafe"...
True. I'll be the first to agree with you.

But, Paul, There was a time when "Made in Japan" ALSO meant poorly made crap, too. Eventually the "Made in Japan" label turned around to become the most respected designers, engineers, and makers of electronics, cameras, and automobiles. Impressive for a people/society/civilization that was bombed nearly to the stoneage.

My point is that nothing remains static. People get older. Great Britain hasn't ruled the seas in centuries. And, Chinese manufacturers will progress.

For example, General Douglas MacArthur, upon the cease fire between the North and South Koreas said (paraphrasing) Koreans will NEVER amount to anything. Look at today's South Korea's industrial prowess and advanced society/culture. KPop anyone?

Yes. Nearly all Chinese products are crap. Huawei phones and Chuwi tablets are recent, notable exceptions. But to believe Chinese products will ALWAYS be crap is to bet that nothing changes. History says that is a bad bet.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:51 PM   #10
Registered Member

When KIA and Hyundai first started selling in the UK, discerning motorists wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. But look at them now. Dacia is similar today. China, if they wish, will make the grade sooner or later.