I Predict the First Wave of Chinese Cars in the USA will... - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2017, 11:02 PM   #11
Registered Member

Add Skoda to that list, they used to be the laughing stock of the auto industry, heated rear windows to keep your hands warm when you're pushing and other such jokes. VW turned them around, and now they've been voted the best cars for some 3 or 4 years running now.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:23 AM   #12
Registered Member

What I have seen come out of China won't make the grade here. The reliability of cars is great today. Honda and Toyota used to have stellar reputations and the quality of alternators, starters, and other common electrical components has reached a peak that will be hard to maintain.

So far pushing 35k miles, my made in Thailand Mirage has held up great. Only exception is the carpet where my foot works the clutch, so I shaped piece of scrap aluminum and glued some carpet to it. No big deal I work the clutch a lot.

If the past is any test of quality and that's the only test, longevity and reliability, that really matters to the bean counters, the Chinese might want to focus on their own market. They already built an electric car, haven't heard much about it in years.

Last example of Chinese build quality was the blower motor resistor in my 99 Ranger. Original lasted 17 years. Built in China replacements lasted a couple of months. This is old tech mechanical switch with a couple of lengths of different resistance wires. When I sold the truck, I told the new owner it might be better to pay the 400% higher price for OEM. 3 replacements (stupid lifetime warranty)and it still only worked on high speed, dead connections in the replacement resistor. I joked that they needed to supply wing nuts with the parts so you didn't need tools to replace them.

I told my customers at my shop that if they bought a new car and went to local auto parts stores and bought everything they could get and replaced those parts on their new car it would never make it a week without a breakdown. Seen to many "I replaced the starter 4 times. Can you do a permanent repair please!!!!!"

"Sure put a factory rebuilt in there and if it fails in a year you get a free replacement" Ten years later they needed another one.

Old 07-07-2017, 04:07 AM   #13
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewChewTrain View Post
True. I'll be the first to agree with you.

But, Paul, There was a time when "Made in Japan" ALSO meant poorly made crap, too. Eventually the "Made in Japan" label turned around to become the most respected designers, engineers, and makers of electronics, cameras, and automobiles. Impressive for a people/society/civilization that was bombed nearly to the stoneage.

My point is that nothing remains static. People get older. Great Britain hasn't ruled the seas in centuries. And, Chinese manufacturers will progress.

For example, General Douglas MacArthur, upon the cease fire between the North and South Koreas said (paraphrasing) Koreans will NEVER amount to anything. Look at today's South Korea's industrial prowess and advanced society/culture. KPop anyone?

Yes. Nearly all Chinese products are crap. Huawei phones and Chuwi tablets are recent, notable exceptions. But to believe Chinese products will ALWAYS be crap is to bet that nothing changes. History says that is a bad bet.
Its is partly due to the fact that all of their manufacturing infrastructure was destroyed. Think about it. At that time most of our factories were old and outdated. Brand new Fords were rolling off the very assembly line that made Model T's. All of Japan's factories were brand new and utilized the latest technology. This helped the Japanese do it better/cheaper.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:32 AM   #14
Registered Member

Same goes with Germany. Their car industry boomed with all the new factories, while the British car industry died, mainly due to old factories and equipment.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:00 AM   #15
Registered Member

Every cloud has a silver lining and all that...

Old 07-07-2017, 08:22 AM   #16
Registered Member

The top selling EV in China outsold the Tesla Model S 10 times over in June last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	China-Electric-Car-Sales-June-2016.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	2395  

Old 07-07-2017, 06:16 PM   #17
Registered Member

As a smart fortwo knock off with a top speed of 50mph, I don't think Tesla is worried.

China might have the strongest support for plug ins, which makes it easier for the market to support a wider selection.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:44 PM   #18
Registered Member

True, although the 2nd best selling plug in that month is an suv with more than 500 bhp, so I wouldn't doubt thier ability at all.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:58 AM   #19
Registered Member

The issue is in the car's ability once made to meet other markets safety regulations.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:55 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcp385 View Post
I won't discount this idea.

However, if I believe both my father (who went to China multiple times over the last 15 years in multiple capacities in Silicon Valley business), and sources such as ADVChina, we're still looking at poor build quality and a stiff learning curve to be able to sell here.

That's if our Glorious Leader doesn't screw up the marketplace with mercantilism.
I watch YouTube/ADVChina, too! I REALLY enjoy Winston's and Condensed Milk's , I think his name is Jeff or Mark, I forget, honest observations about China culture and customs.

ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote