Impulse Shopper - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-23-2009, 05:53 PM   #1
Registered Member

Impulse Shopper

Sometimes.......I...get...the.......MUNCHIES!

So I pulled into the nearby Costco and bought a bag of chips.

I don't even remember the last time I bought potato chips, but there I was, with an Industrial, Combat, Clan size bag of:
Kettle Brand Sweet Onion Potato Chips which, it turns out, are superb potato chips.

Got back to the truck and munched and munched and munched until I noticed everything tasted like paper, then I quit.

Then I read the label. The Nutrition Facts part of the label. The part of the label that says a serving is 150 calories.
The part that reads; Serving Size 1 oz (28g/about 13 chips)

Thirteen chips!

Now..............................I remember why I stopped eating potato chips.

623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:55 PM   #2
Registered Member

I've had an odd hankering for Cheetos lately. I don't even really like Cheetos, so I've been able to resist. Maybe I'm pregnant.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:27 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilian View Post
Maybe I'm pregnant.
lol. I had a craving for those chocolate covered pretzels and bought a bag today. At almost the whole thing before I bothered to look at the back. 8 of them are 130 calories... Not as bad as 13 chips being 150 but still a shocker considering how I've been watching what I eat.

I've cut A LOT of snack foods because of the amount of sugar in them. It's insane! People aren't supposed to eat much more than 100 grams of sugar a day and in the pretzel snack alone I had about 50. I don't count fruits in my sugar count since I don't eat them near as often as I should. (a pear has 15g if you were curious)

At least I can pronounce 90% of the ingredients in them tho.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:02 PM   #4

If you remember the recent news story about the couple arrested for assaulting each other with Cheetohs, you know they have a dual purpose as snack food and a defensive weapon!

I bought a good sized can of cashew nuts once on a month-long stay in Puerto Rico. Then I read the label, and found that 9 of them added up to about 150 calories. It took me the rest of the month to eat them at 9/day.
FrugalFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:34 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjones96 View Post
I don't count fruits in my sugar count since I don't eat them near as often as I should. (a pear has 15g if you were curious)
It's my belief that raw fruits are a net improvement in one's diet even if one has maxed out one's intake of calories and sugar. I would never count the calories/sugar/whatever found in any raw fruit. I've never heard of someone who shouldn't have eaten that apple every day or the 3 oranges per day or whatever...
Old 08-24-2009, 04:57 AM   #6
Registered Member

IMO, potato chips that are cut from real potatoes, i.e. not processed like pringles, aren't all that bad for you... provided you have one of the flavors that is just condiments, herbs or spices and isn't full of sugar and crap (BBQ is a bad one usually) Especially now they are usually cooked in high omega 3 oils with no transfats. The starches in them aren't quiiite so high a glycemic load as a sugary snack or fruit, there is a modicum of fibre, and you may notice that they have more vitamin C in than most canned fruit or vegetables, this is because the frying heats them rapidly leaving no time for enzymes to break vitamins down.

None of this applies to corn chips, cheezy poofs, etc.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:02 AM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
I ended up buying a bag of Cheeze Balls this morning...

Old 08-24-2009, 06:24 AM   #8
Site Team / Moderator

Cheezy poofs? How about chocolate donut pancake surprise?

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:18 AM   #9
Registered Member

Or Chef's Salty, Chocolate Balls.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:09 PM   #10
Registered Member

you guys are killing me. ya know i got that self-help health care thread.

i hate coffee, but i love coffee ice cream. my wife bought me a hagan daaz(spelling?) sampler the other day, and i killed it ALONE. i conveniently missed the label showing the fat, sugar, and calories.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote