Insanely Ridiculous Automobile Modifications Thread - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-11-2007, 10:59 AM   #11
Supporting Member

Peakster -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakster View Post
Would that theoretically work? My thinking is that even if it did, there's no way someone could have that device working 24/7/365.
I was thinking that is was something that you plugged in when you got home, so you wouldn't be getting 24/7/365 protection, but you would be getting some protection. If true, I wonder what the electric bill would be? If it ain't Tesla juice , then you must be paying something to maintain the "anti-rust field".

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 03:51 PM   #12
Tuggin at the surly bonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakster View Post
Would that theoretically work? My thinking is that even if it did, there's no way someone could have that device working 24/7/365.
Well, it's still conjecture, but the theory is that since ships and pipelines are vulnerable to electrolytic corrosion because of the buildup of static electricity from flowing liquids, that they use sacrificial anodes (of zinc or aluminum) because those metals have a higher electro-negativity compared to iron. This is related to Cathodic-protection. In the the reverse directon of the electron flow is the ion flow of the anodic material. This is why zinc coating body panels can make scratches in that coating to be kind of self-healing.

Back to the device, there is a thing called Impressed Current CP used on large underground equipment. It, however is based on current flow rather than the electrostatic (not electromagnetic) field I suggested. I'm still not sure where the current flow would be or across what and electric potential would be place on a car body to be effective. Just guesses.

Old 03-11-2007, 05:36 PM   #13

Back in the day 16 years ago when I worked at an airport in Guam we had those (or something that worked along the same lines) installed on our step trucks. They were rusty in 5 years.........I had always wondered if they really worked and at least I got to find out. That being said, maybe it was installed incorrectly? Hmmmmm, if your vehicle started to rust I have a feeling that would be what the company would say. I'm in a skeptical mood though.
BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 05:42 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazabi Owner View Post
...maybe it was installed incorrectly? Hmmmmm, if your vehicle started to rust I have a feeling that would be what the company would say. I'm in a skeptical mood though.
Yeah, I can totally see the company being like:
"Well, how do we know that you've even used it at all during all these years? For all we know the device has been sitting in your garage, collecting dust".
Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 05:46 PM   #15
Tuggin at the surly bonds

...or they require that they do the installing if you want a warranty.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:50 AM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
I have had personal experience for 4 years now using a Zinc block on my Honda vehicles. I used THIS Zinc block attached to the underside of my rusting CRX. It slowed the rust down to near dead stop over 2 years. I have since installed one in my wife's 2000 Protege and installed one on my 94 Civic VX after I had cut out and welded in new rear quarter panels. Although when I bought two of those blocks several years ago, they were only $7 a piece. But the copper wire that is internally cast into the block makes for a great means of connecting it to the chassis of any vehicle.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:49 PM   #17
DRW
Registered Member

My car leaks oil, so the entire underbody is being continuously sprayed with a rust-inhibiting coating.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:18 PM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
I have talked to people who would spray the underside of there vehicle with either used motor oil, or linseed oil, and that it compleatly prevented rust...
it makes sence that because rust is an electrocemical reaction that you should be able to at least slow it down with an electrical device, but how you connect it, and to what is the big question, and zinc block like that could do something... but again, I'm not sure how the whole prosess would work, but zinc does have some amazing affects on steel that are long lasting becuase of it alloying affects with the serfice of of steel.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:49 AM   #19
Registered Member

Well looky what I found parked at the university today. Not one but two rear spoilers. The top spoiler probably creates a lot of drag and increases fronal area. I'm not sure if there would be much effect with the bottom spoiler. Either way, the rear window is dirty as heck, so it must be creating lots of low pressure. The car probably has a loud exaust too:

Attachment 292

The front bumper looks ok in terms of drag (if the grille was blocked off). Too bad it's damaged on the driver's side. What's with the 'wings' on the windshield wipers?

Attachment 293

On a good note, it looks like they've got good wheel spoilers for the rear tires.

Attachment 294
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM0012681.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	249   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM0012701.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	250   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM0012661.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	251  
Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:23 PM   #20
Registered Member

The wise men around here says used motor oil is not ideal for rust protection, it contains acids and other bad stuff from the engine. Use a cheap new oil instead, and have someone with the equipment apply it, it's messy work.

There's a lot of small businesses here that do nothing but oil treatmen to cars, they spray it both inside the body/doors and on the undercarriage and it works, my father always did it and his cars has been virtually rust free despite all the salt they put on the roads in winter.

Simon

Handy gas mileage and automotive calculators at MilesGallon.com lets you find out the real mpg of your vehicle, calculate the fuel consumption and cost for a trip and how about a tool that gives you the total cost per mile for a specifice vehicle over its lifetime.

milesgallon.com is offline   Reply With Quote