Instead of being an early EV adopter... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 07:34 PM   #1
Registered Member

Instead of being an early EV adopter...

...I've changed my mind. I now plan to be the last person to be driving a fossil fuel car.

My 26 y/o Honda will likely be 50 y/o when all of you are driving electric vehicles. And, I plan to drive like Mr. Magoo and loving it.

Paul, if you don't know who Mr. Magoo is, here's an American documentary...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjp8ctcdzdw

Old 01-01-2017, 07:42 PM   #2
Site Team / Moderator

I thought that was going to be me with my 98 K1500. I still own the 81 Regal too, but she's not currently on the road.

Old 01-02-2017, 01:56 AM   #3
Registered Member

It's easy to say that now, but the reasons for keeping a fossil fueled car will start to become few and far between, as costs fall, range increases and infrastructure is developed, you'll probably consider one in the future. There are probably only two in my tiny town, a BMW i3 and a Renault Zoe, like me, these owners have no where to park at home to charge, and there are jobs public charging points out here in the country, but they still make it work somehow.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Old 01-02-2017, 05:36 AM   #4
Registered Member

My fuel costs less than insurance. I considered a new Nissan Leaf but the increased taxes and insurance easily surpassed the fuel cost in the Mirage. There is a Nissan Leaf on the local Craigslist with 34k miles, asking $7950. KBB says $6200 for a 5 year old Leaf car that was close to $30k new even with the $7500 tax credit.

Where are the glorious predicted battery improvements and cost reductions over the last 6 years, since that same Leaf was new? Not pie in the sky, purchaseable TODAY 6 YEARS LATER.

If those predictions were even barely accurate, that same Leaf would be a bargain, buy it and eventually replace the battery with one with twice the range, right? 200 mile electric car for $12k, would work perfectly for me, and I have 220 service in my geothermally heated garage (50 degrees minimum year round, $0 cost).

For now I love the 3.3 cents per mile fuel costs and $23 a month for insurance. Property taxes under $100 a year. Oil changes every 7500 for $16 using Mobil 1 and quality filters.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:39 AM   #5
Registered Member

You only have to look at the multi billion dollar investments by huge companies to see how quickly things are changing, VW are bringing out about 30 new EV'S in the next few years, as are many other companies. There is probably a slower uptake in the US where emission standards are different, and fuel is cheaper than water, but over here, things will probably move quicker as fossil fueled cars become illegal in cities etc. Alot of the EV's coming out this year have ranges of 200-250, including the new VW Golf, Renault Zoe etc, and this range will go up every year, and the cost of batteries will fall.

The demand for used car batteries will also rise, for electricity storage etc, so this this generates a secondary market, bringing costs down even more. If you can't see the change happening, you're looking in the wrong place

Old 01-02-2017, 08:09 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
...The demand for used car batteries will also rise, for electricity storage etc, so this this generates a secondary market...
When they appear on the secondary market, I'm gonna connect a Tesla car battery to my Chromebook. It'll be the world's first laptop computer with a LIFETIME battery.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:41 AM   #7
Registered Member

It wont be very portable, unless you attach it to a Fork lift truck!

Old 01-02-2017, 09:48 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
It wont be very portable, unless you attach it to a Fork lift truck!
For NEVER having to worry about recharging my laptop, I can live with that.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:05 AM   #9
Registered Member

Laughing all the way to the bank. One of the reasons I can afford to pay cash for my new car, is I look at it like an accountant. I think my $12.9k (out the door-including everything) Mirage cost less than the DEPRECIATION on that Renault.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:19 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. View Post
Laughing all the way to the bank. One of the reasons I can afford to pay cash for my new car, is I look at it like an accountant. I think my $12.9k (out the door-including everything) Mirage cost less than the DEPRECIATION on that Renault.
You can get a new Zoe for £6999, or $8600 US dollars, starting to make sense yet?

Closed Thread