I've been test driving 3dr HB's - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-08-2007, 06:09 PM   #1

I've been test driving 3dr HB's

Not much to do at work lately so I've been "sneaking" away and test driving 3dr's on my extended lunch breaks.

So far I've only hit up 2 dealers. The first is Hyundai with their new 3dr Accent. I LIKE this car!!! Stuff I like about it? FIRST is the drivers armrest! One of my pet peeves is the lack of an armrest for the driver and this has it. Who cares? I do! I spend 2+ hours a day driving and have grown accustomed to resting my right elbow. I drove a completely loaded out one. It had EVERYTHING! 6 disc changer, moonroof, 16inch alloys, 4 wheel disc brakes, automatic etc. Price? $16,000USD. PLUS Hyundai had GREEN! (but not in stock) Car drove great too and it is in the 36MPG+ range which is what I like. Main dissappointment was lack of even having cruise control - possible dealbreaker for me IF I was really in the market. Hyundai is one of the best cars I've ever owned and I've had a LOT - 50-60+.

Next up, the Yaris. First is - it's a Toyota. PERIOD. That means quality AND it won't depreciate 40% the moment it goes off the lot. The drive was great though I do wish it had an armrest which I'm sure can be had aftermarket. Cruise was an extra $250 and $400 over base for the automatic you get a CD, 15 inch wheels (WITH RE92's! WOO HOO!), rear defrost and rear wiper. A well spent $650 IMO.

Anyway, I broke the news to the wife on the ride home tonight about what I've been doing with my lunch hours. I might have been better off telling her I was seeing someone during that time. I told her my plan of considering sending my Insight to eBay now and the Metro this summer once gas tops $3.25. This would cover a HUGE amount of the price of a new car. At the end of the ride home I now have permission to add cruise to the Slug and the Wazabi. Pricey but less than the price of a new car - her quote.

What else should I drive next week? Oh, after letting them "test drive" the Wazabi (Insight) it kicked the "Check Engine" light. I thought it might of been them not tightning the gas cap by playing a joke I have been wanting to do to a MPGweirdo for a while - ADD a gallon of gas! This would throw their mileage all out of wack big time! I LIVE for April Fools day. I sit out Christmas and make all my plans for April 1st.

BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 06:38 PM   #2
Registered Member

How about trying a Fit?

I want to try one of those out.

UfoTofU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 06:43 PM   #3

I've thought about the Fit BUT......not a 3dr. I almost drove the Scion Xa but made sure I want to limit myself to the 3dr. When wife wants a new car (that I will drive anyway)....it must be a 3dr. She's holding out for the Smart. I've actually been checking into grey market cars now that they are being US'ed. No reply back yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UfoTofU View Post
How about trying a Fit?

I want to try one of those out.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:22 AM   #4
Registered Member

Permission???? wow
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:08 PM   #5

I do buy plenty of $300+ things without "permission" but then I sometimes don't hear the end of it. Got lucky on the last purchase - a White's metal detector. Thought I wouldn't hear the end of it but then I actually caught her reading my treasure hunter magazines and watching treasure hunting shows on TV. I just got it to see what is laying around on my property but it paid for itself the other day when I got whacked up beside the head with a tree branch while on my tractor and it knocked my glasses off. I went a good 30ft before I figured out the glasses were gone and I couldn't see anything and it was getting dark. Looked for them myself with no luck and then had the wife come out with me and still no luck. Got the detector and found them in 30 seconds.

More and more she keeps tabs on my spending and it has helped us big time - I have NO self control with money. I'm learning though.

I need to start researching cruise though. I know Rostra for the Insight but am clueless for a manufacture for the Corolla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyshack View Post
Permission???? wow
Old 03-09-2007, 08:06 PM   #6
Registered Member

Might want to wait for the upcoming Ford Fiesta in the US also.

The Hyundai green was nice, a shame Honda did not sell the Fit in the US with green like in Europe. But light blue is nice enough.

Grey market Smart, I would wait, having owned and worked on grey market cars in the past. Also, not sure what the insurance and emissions issues would be now, Nashville are not honouring the EPA exemption letters anymore with MARTA. A friend gets his Merc through after adding a restrictor to the fuelneck and lying and telling the $5 an hour idiot kid that the front resonator is a Cat. But with OBDII, no cheat....

-Emil Faber
Spule 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:32 PM   #7
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazabi Owner View Post
I've thought about the Fit BUT......
no armrest. my only dislike about the fit. but i havent had an armrest since i had my 4door civic...
Old 03-09-2007, 08:42 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisntjared View Post
no armrest. my only dislike about the fit. but i havent had an armrest since i had my 4door civic...
Aftermarket are available, but I too am spoiled having owned several nice ones in many cars. The "Fat" cushy Gen III Camry ones are among the best.

-Emil Faber
Spule 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:12 PM   #9
Registered Member

Ooh i've also always wanted an Accent, i just with the 5th gear was taller.

They aren't super reliable, but the 10 year/100,000 mile warranty covers anything anywyas so I'd be happy with it. The insides of the new hyundais is really nice, my father has an Elantra, I absolutly love it, so much torque.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:15 AM   #10
Supporting Member

Hello -

I have a guilty pleasure. I like the designs of all of these cars :

Kia Rio5 - 1.4 Liter engine, 32/35 MPG, 2440 lbs.

Hyundai Accent 3 Door - 1.6 Liter engine, 32/35 MPG, 2470 lbs.

Suzuki Reno - 2.0 Liter engine, 23/30 MPG , 2740 lbs .

The Kia is my favorite of the 3. However .... In the May 2006 Car and Driver, where they compared the Fit, Caliber, Accent, Rio5, Versa, Reno, and Yaris, I found enough nitpicks to not seriously consider them. Stupid practical mind !

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote