jdm vx? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-01-2009, 07:23 AM   #1
Registered Member

jdm vx?

wasnt really sure on where to put this but i got a quick question. what all is involved with swapping the jdm vtec-e into a vx? ive heard of people talking about it on here and i cannot find a d15z1, i can get the engine and trans for dirt cheap but not sure what i would need to swap it. is it all plug and play? thanks alot
-dustin

dirtygst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:49 AM   #2
Registered Member

i realised i probably put this in the wrong section... can someone put this in the right section? i wasnt really sure what the right section for this would be...thanks

Old 04-02-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Moved it for you.

The D15Z7 should be a direct swap into a U.S. VX. But I'm not 100% sure. There should be one or two other users here that can chime in.

I know that physically it'll bolt right in. the sensors showuld be the same, so you could just use your U.S. harness and ECU to run it.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
Registered Member

thanks for moving it and helping answer. i have a dx right now and want to swap it but it seems impossible to find a isdm swap so i turned to jdm for answers im just not sure if it will be the same swap or what i need from the vx still...
thanks
Old 04-03-2009, 06:22 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
To swap in a D15Z1 or the D15Z7 you'd need the EGR control box from the firewall, the ECU (of course), and the L1H1 (wideband O2). since your car is a DX, you'd need to wire in the provisions for the control box (2 wires), the O2, and then VTEC wiring.

Then there is the question of what you're going to do for exhaust...Easy way would be to just use your existing DX exhaust system and bolt it up to the motor you get. If you wanted to go with the Z1/Z7 exhaust, that would require you to get the stock B pipe so it'll bolt up to the Maniverter.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:42 PM   #6
Registered Member

thanks for the info. so with the jdm d15b vtec-e i would just need the motor(have a trans) and then all the stuff you mentioned from an american vx right?
Old 04-03-2009, 06:23 PM   #7

The D15z7 is the two stage vtec engine from the late 90s and is OBD2. That swap would take a LOT of work, mostly electrical. I've heard a lot of people talking about doing it, but only know of one person to actually pull it off, using mostly aftermarket controls.

If you're referring to the D15b, one version of which is the 92-95 JDM z1 equivalent, then TomO is essentially correct and the swap is pretty simple if you're putting it into the same series Civic (92-95). I put one into a 90 Civic, which was OBD0, and it was somewhat of a pita. But I have 15k on it now and it was absolutely worth it. Do you have a VX transmission, or were you planning on reusing your DX? If you want to optimize the swap, get a VX or CX transmission to go with it.

Good Luck
nowhhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:17 PM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
Yeah I'm not sure how the Z7 got mixed up with the Z1. They are very very different motors. I should know since I replaced my Z1 with a Z7.

Besides the EGR control and wiring, O2 (converting to five wire O2 if you have a federal ECU), P07 ECU, wiring VTEC-E (identical to wiring VTEC), you also need the intake pipe, and exhaust manifold/cat converter. The distributer is the same as the Z6 and different than all other Civic distributers. Your DX has a firewall-mounted MAP sensor while the Z1 Map is on the throttle body, just like the Z6. One last thing is that JDM intake manifolds don't have the vacuum port or mounting spot for your purge control solenoid. But it's a simple fix with a zip tie and a vacuum t to the fpr vacuum port.

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:52 PM   #9
Registered Member

ok thanks alot for all the help guys. i think though im going to wait till i can get my hands on a usdm d15z1. ive heard they get better mileage and it will probably be cheaper. im hopefully picking up a cx trans this week and putting that in and hopefully that will help in mpgs.
-dustin
Old 04-06-2009, 08:24 PM   #10

The JDM d15b is virtually identical to the USDM d15z1 (if you get the vtec-e version), is a lot more available, probably would have a lot lower mileage, and should get identical gas mileage. It would already come with almost everything suspendedhatch mentioned except the intake pipe and egr control box. I used the stock dx exhaust manifold and cat on my conversion and it worked fine. I never liked those manifold mounted cats, too expensive to replace.

nowhhs is offline   Reply With Quote