Just fired up the swamp cooler - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-18-2006, 11:11 PM   #1
Driving on E

Just fired up the swamp cooler

Whoever said that swamp coolers arn't as good as air conditioners is crazy. I watched the thermostat drop from 83 to 66 within 15 minutes.

Oh, and swamp coolers use like 1/5 of the electricity of air conditioners.

Does anyone else use a swap cooler in their house?

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 12:10 AM   #2
Registered Member

Please educate me on what a swamp cooler does? What are the pros and cons of it besides the pro being efficent ? Although the term "swamp" gives me the impression that it is smelly lol.

Old 05-19-2006, 12:22 AM   #3
Driving on E

taken from http://www.rawtimes.com/swamp.html

Quote:
Swamp coolers are an efficient and effective machine for cooling. As a direct placement for air conditioning in dry climates like Utah and Nevada, it is an example of how man can work with nature. Being so much less expensive than air conditioning, it almost seems that we are getting something for nothing. This short essay explains part of the fascination with the evaporative cooler phenomenon.

The way a swamp cooler operates is very simple. There is a low horsepower motor which pumps the water from the floor of the cooler to the top of the cooler, where it proceeds to fall down the sides, along porous filter pads. A second motor drives a fan which pulls air from the outside, through the cooler, and then pushes it into the hot room. The significant cooling action is the water evaporating as the air passes through it. (Incidentally, the water level is kept constant with the help of a floating sphere functioning similar to the one in the toilet bowl.) The hot air enters the cooler, where two small motors power nothing more than a fan and a pump, in order to send cool air into the hot room.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:18 AM   #4
Registered Member

that is awesome!!! Where can I get one and how much did yours cost? Is it hard to install into your home?? Summer's coming and this sounds interesting, what are the requirements for your home? Sounds like such an easy concept yet AC is still the more popular choice. How big is the area your trying to cool down? Just a small room or the whole house?
Old 05-19-2006, 01:30 AM   #5
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmcneal
that is awesome!!! Where can I get one and how much did yours cost? Is it hard to install into your home?? Summer's coming and this sounds interesting, what are the requirements for your home? Sounds like such an easy concept yet AC is still the more popular choice. How big is the area your trying to cool down? Just a small room or the whole house?
I think they may only be good for ultra dry climates, but I'm unsure. Just do a search for "evaporative coolers" and see if anyone sells them in your area.

I'll take some pictures this weekend to show you my setup.

EVERYONE here has them, so it came with the house. I have no idea how much they cost.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:52 AM   #6
Registered Member

dang super dry hm ok let me know when you get pics! I"ll judge from there on if I'm willing to invest in one or not if it looks complicated then i'll only hear it from you hehe.

Does it sound loud? How's the noise?
Old 05-19-2006, 01:56 AM   #7
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmcneal
dang super dry hm ok let me know when you get pics! I"ll judge from there on if I'm willing to invest in one or not if it looks complicated then i'll only hear it from you hehe.

Does it sound loud? How's the noise?
Noise is fine. It's mounted on the roof and blows air down into the center of the upstairs into a hallway. it's no louder than an air conditioner.

Some people have window mounted swap coolers too, so the roof option is just more permanent.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:00 AM   #8

Yeah, I doubt anyone here in the South (yeah, come on) would want to pump MORE humidity into their homes.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 09:36 AM   #9
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX
Yeah, I doubt anyone here in the South (yeah, come on) would want to pump MORE humidity into their homes.
yea, same thing here on the jersey shore. but if you can eliminate air conditioners in some part of the country then thats awesome!
Old 05-19-2006, 01:25 PM   #10
Registered Member

Swap coolers do an amazing job when the humidity is low.

Unfortunately, they aren't useful here very often (Deep South).

Has anyone seen a temperature drop vs. ambient relative humidity on these things?

I found a good link detailing a lot about modern evaporative coolers HERE

GasSavers_civicminded is offline   Reply With Quote