Just got my Kill-A-Watt! - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-24-2007, 04:06 PM   #31
Registered Member

They probably do to some extent. I guess I'm relating it to my pellet stove, which when the thermostat dips below the given temperature it turns on for a few minutes and then shuts down, but the temp range is only 5F or so. I think most fridges run on a tight temp range. I could put my thermometer in there (has a cord) and find out without opening it, but I think it probably takes an hour or two for a cycle.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:52 AM   #32
Registered Member

I just ordered 2 kill-a-watts. One for me and one for a co-worker. Got them for $19.99 each including shipping . Should pay for it'self pretty easy.

jwxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:58 AM   #33
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by korax123 View Post
Is leaving a powerstrip plugged in bad? I turn the 2 off I have and they power..... PS2, Xbox, TV, Stereo, Rabbit Ears, and the other one powers 2 pc towers, 2 monitors, and the printer.

So should I unplug them or is turning off the switch good enough?
Turning off switch is good enough.

Ijust got Kill-A-Watt which tells me that my strip (connected to HDTV, DVD player, stereo, halogen light, tape deck, PS2 and 8bit NES) uses about 15W when just plugged in. When I shut off the strip the power goes down to ZERO Watts, so just make sure its turned off- no need to unplug according to Kill-A-Watt.

Also the HDTV uses about 200W and goes up quite a bit once you pass a certain volume, the stero uses 50W just in Stand-By mode so thats now off unless in use. Even the DVD player uses about 10W once its turned on and a few more watts when actualy playing. The KILLER here is the halogen lamp that uses over 300W- more than the strip with HDTV, stereo and DVD playing combined. I used that light ONCE in the last week. Looking to bring down electric bill which hit a high of $148 last month. Will be testing PCs in the house sometime in next few weeks.

JWXR7- It will DEFINITELY pay for itself. Congrats on the buy. This is just as good as SGII and worth the money. Going to be lending to ALL my friends. My power strip is off at night now whereas we never turned it off before burning at least a constant 15W. Many times the stereo AND DVD player were on burning another 60 watts for a total of 75 watts. The halogen would be one quite a bit many times needlessly (falling alseep on watch while watching TV WITH halogen on). This is my LAST $148 electric bill. I think we can EASILY get below $100, but of course we were very wasteful and coul prob have knocked a bit off with common sense. This tool def helps though and helps us save even more. Will report savings next bill
GasSavers_StanleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:04 AM   #34
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyD View Post
Turning off switch is good enough.

Ijust got Kill-A-Watt which tells me that my strip (connected to HDTV, DVD player, stereo, halogen light, tape deck, PS2 and 8bit NES) uses about 15W when just plugged in. When I shut off the strip the power goes down to ZERO Watts, so just unplug.
So are you saying that your power strip draws 15W with the switch on the strip turned off? If so, I'd replace that sucker. It shouldn't draw anything.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:10 AM   #35
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post
So are you saying that your power strip draws 15W with the switch on the strip turned off? If so, I'd replace that sucker. It shouldn't draw anything.
OOPS meant to say that it goes to ZERO Watts when I turn the strip off uses its own switch. Changing the thread to say switch strip off (Its OK to leave plugged in, just make sure its turned off)
Thanks for the heads up. Power strip uses 15W when plugged in and ON, but uses 0W when plugged in and turned OFF.

GasSavers_StanleyD is offline   Reply With Quote